Orbiter Screenshot Thread

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
Pioneer 10 Jupiter.png
Pioneer 10 Jupiter 2.png

Pioneer 10 at Jupiter. This isn't the most recent Pioneer add-on but the original. Still working on updating the Old-Atlas-Series to Orbiter 2016. I've finished the Atlas Agena, the Atlas ICBMs, and the Atlas Able. I'm currently working on perfecting the Atlas Centaur which is most of the way complete.

I learned two new things actually: The solid fueled kick stage for Pioneer 10 and 11 was a Star 37E, rather than the standard Star 37, and those missions were flown on a direct ascent trajectory to Jupiter, skipping a parking orbit.

I was able to replicate the direct ascent on Pioneer 10 using Interplanetary MFD:

Pioneer 10 Direct Ascent.png

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
Pioneer P30 Rough Facsimile.png

A rough facsimile of Pioneer P-30 in orbit around the Moon, September 1960.

It was the closest an Atlas Able ever came to succeeding, so I thought it would make an interesting "what if" scenario if the U.S. had managed to put something in lunar orbit 6 years before the U.S.S.R. would do with Luna 10. The spacecraft specs are correct down to the fuel, engine isp, weight, and thrust, but I used the generic Velcro Luna 3 mesh as a placeholder since I don't have a proper mesh for that series of Pioneer spacecraft. The transit time from launch to the Moon was ~64 hours. Insertion into a 6,800km x 7,000km orbit on 90 newtons of thrust takes nearly 22 minutes.

Gargantua2024

Reaction score
View attachment 22868

A rough facsimile of Pioneer P-30 in orbit around the Moon, September 1960.

It was the closest an Atlas Able ever came to succeeding, so I thought it would make an interesting "what if" scenario if the U.S. had managed to put something in lunar orbit 6 years before the U.S.S.R. would do with Luna 10. The spacecraft specs are correct down to the fuel, engine isp, weight, and thrust, but I used the generic Velcro Luna 3 mesh as a placeholder since I don't have a proper mesh for that series of Pioneer spacecraft. The transit time from launch to the Moon was ~64 hours. Insertion into a 6,800km x 7,000km orbit on 90 newtons of thrust takes nearly 22 minutes.
If you want to create a mesh for Pioneer P-30, this image might help:)

I think Pioneer 5 is also built in the same model as P-30

n72.75

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.adabsurdumpublishing.com
Wedding went very well. Thanks folks!

In hindsight these past four posts (including this one), should probably get moved over to the random comments thread. That's where I intended to post this... thx