Orbiter Screenshot Thread

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
This one should probably go in the biggest disaster thread, but that's for accidents.

Nothing accidental about this:

disaster2_zps1da435b3.jpg

From Earth
disaster1_zpsf0904c32.jpg

From Mars
disaster3_zpsfd89d286.jpg

Seconds to impact
disaster4_zps0e58547a.jpg

The last sunrise
disaster5_zps5f106faf.jpg

How have you managed to do that?

Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Goodbye to flat Mars: Noctis Labyrinthus and Valles Marineris in 3D.
picture.php

By the way: are there any addons with dedicated aircraft for the Martian atmosphere? Trying to do a low-altitude flight with a DG is a bit of a nightmare.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Would be for any aircraft, I would imagine. :cheers:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
I was thinking about something like an ultralight with oversized wings and maybe solar-powered propeller. Could that work?

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
picture.php

By the way: are there any addons with dedicated aircraft for the Martian atmosphere? Trying to do a low-altitude flight with a DG is a bit of a nightmare.

Does [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2581"]this[/ame] work?

Slaintemaith

Old Timer
Reaction score
Contemplating my next move while observing the Jovian Great Spot.

Attachments

• Jovian Orbit.jpg
    Jovian Orbit.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
picture.php

GREAT SCOTT!!!! That looks really awesome.

What Mars texture is used here?

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
What Mars texture is used here?
The texture is exactly the same as the L11 textures for the current Orbiter version. They are derived from the 256 pixel-per-degree versions of the Mars Orbiter Camera (MOC) on Mars Global Surveyor.

What's new are the elevation data. They come from 128 pixel-per-degree Mars Orbiter Laser Altimeter (MOLA) data, also on Surveyor.

Funny enough, although both instruments were sitting on the same probe, their respective processed data turned out to be somewhat lacking in compatibility. The MOC data are mapped into an areographic frame, while the MOLA data use an areocentric frame. It took me a bit of headscratching before I figured that out and came up with the correct nonlinear interpolation. Also, I found a spurious shift in longitude between the two datasets which I fixed by eyeballing. Seems like the research teams operating the different instruments didn't talk much between each other. ;)

Incidently, the MOC data are monochrome (at least the sources I found), so there is no colour information in the textures (other than the fake tint I am applying). Are there any high-res multi-band global maps out there that could be used for colouring the textures?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
We'll need export/import tool for heightmaps. I plan to do some planetary scale engineering.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Will there be a working surface tile system, for both textures and heightmaps? My base is built in a quite hilly are, so it would be doomed if I can't flatten the area.

So I decided to rebuild and match my bases' tiles for the BMNG January textures.
I so hope you don't use the same source for the new Orbiter textures as Orbiter Base Maker...

20131214211243.jpg

Looks like I can scrap level 1 and 2 textures...
A big part of the Teutoburg Forest copied & pasted. It actually looks fine but I'm too familiar with the area to be happy with it...

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We'll need export/import tool for heightmaps. I plan to do some planetary scale engineering.

Agreed. Is there any possibility that the new terrain system could be backwards compatible with the Orulex cfgs and greyscale height bitmaps, or will it all need to be written from scratch? At the very least, I hope that it will support using greyscale bitmaps for lower-res heightmaps, or it will cause me rather great headaches :lol:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A big part of the Teutoburg Forest copied & pasted. It actually looks fine but I'm too familiar with the area to be happy with it...

As someone totally unfamiliar with it I couldn't even call that fine. The copying is very noticeable.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As someone totally unfamiliar with it I couldn't even call that fine. The copying is very noticeable.

True. Only the edges of the copied part are fine, they are very smooth.

I'm quite happy with the results. Will make the approach to my base much more interesting. (The building with the longest shadow is as large as an Arrow, and used to assemble and launch them vertically).

(click image to enlarge)

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Good job

picture.php

What requirements need the future version of Orbiter?
Excellent view of Mars:thumbup:.

Attachments

• xht9n46sfylshan6g.jpg
    xht9n46sfylshan6g.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 79
  • jv7euidebcdscbf6g.jpg
    jv7euidebcdscbf6g.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 81

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Hlynacg was thinking about it a while ago:

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=32091

Don't think he actually did anything with it just yet though.

Not for Orbiter no.

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 ----------

picture.php

Professor,

I did a bunch of research on this topic a while back for a science fiction story I've been working on and ended up reusing a lot of that research in a school project down the line. I've actually got meshes and rudimentary code for two martian aircraft sitting in my back-burner/vapor-ware folder.

The first being a mock up of this JPL proposal, and the second being the martian transport that Bruce linked to.

From the looks of things I might want bump their completion up on the priority list. ;)

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Are there any high-res multi-band global maps out there that could be used for colouring the textures?

NASA's Map-a-planet uses the Viking Color dataset:
"The Viking Color data set is a natural color mosaic, combining the red, green, and blue Viking VIS bands into the respective channels of a color image."

Don't know if it perfectly matches more modern datasets, but since the color variations are very subtle, I think it would work.

________

I second the wish for some compatibility with grayscale height maps.
They already exist and are created from actual real data that's not publicly available on any other format as far a I know(http://stereomoons.blogspot.pt/2010/11/new-moons.html).
For many bodies, that's the best we will have for many decades...

Last edited: