Orbiter Screenshot Thread

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I just found the great scenery Negishima Space Center v0.2, and tried in both in Orbiter 2016 and OpenOrbiter. Everything works fine except surface tiles (since Orbiter 2010 has a different tile structure). So, I've made the surface tiles from the existing ones for the new Orbiter versions and add the mask tiles. I could upload those tiles if the author @Pipcard doesn't mind, or it will be better if @Pipcard update his addon adding my tiles if possible.

Just look at these palm trees visible form the DG cabin (by the way it would be nice to increase their amount):

Без імені1.pngБез імені2.pngБез імені3.pngБез імені4.png

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
- After the Book Janus by Phillip P. Peterson. -
Pictures of the Mars moon Phobos indicate that the Phobos Monolith may be an artificial structure.
A space race to Mars starts using makeshift vessels,.

The Lunar gateway is re-purposed as deep-space vessel Janus, with extra fuel and a Hypersonic Inflatable Aerodynamic Decelerator for aerobraking in the Martian atmosphere.

1a.jpg
The Janus has feathered its solar panels to prepare for the aerodynamic Mars capture.

2a.jpg
To quote Dr. Floyd from the movie 2010:
"The atmosphere will slow us down, and gravity will grab hold of us and slingshot us around behind the dark side. If all goes well, we'll wind up in a gentle orbit. It's dynamite on paper. Of course the people who came up with the numbers on the paper aren't here."

3a.jpg
The slingshot was successful! The vessel adjust its orbit near Phobos.

4a.jpg
The decelerator shield is discarded and the vessel is configured for orbital operations.
Suddenly a distress call is received from the Russo-Chinese expedition. The Janus approaches them to provide assistance.

5a.jpg
The Janus gently touches down in the feeble gravity on the surface of Phobos. The monolith looks indeed artificial.
An EVA is prepared to investigate it. What will they find?

Piorun

Reaction score
🚩🚀 Chelomei's UR-200 (GRAU index: 8K81, NATO code name: SS-10 Scrag) - the famous Proton's elder and largely forgotten sibling.

The UR-200 was a Soviet multirole rocket intended to serve as an ICBM, fractional orbital bombardment system (FOBS) and orbital launch vehicle, mainly for launching the IS anti-satellite weapon and the US-A radar ocean surveillance satellites (a.k.a. the infamous RORSAT).

However, the UR-200 lost the competition to Yangiel's R-36, and its program was canceled after seven flights (two additional ones took place after the cancellation of the UR-200, when Chelomey still hoped that the USSR leadership would reverse the decision).

The UR-200 later served as the starting point for the development of an even larger rocket, known as the UR-500. The UR-500 was to consist of four full-size UR-200 rockets serving as a composite first and second stage, and a fifth UR-200 rocket (second stage only) constituting the third stage of the UR-500. After some time, the UR-500 concept was modified until it took the form of the Proton we know so well.

Below depiction of the historical launch, which took place on June 17, 1964 (6th of 9 in total) - departing from Launch Complex 90/19 in Baikonur:

https://flic.kr/p/2pQxUHD
https://flic.kr/p/2pQxULQ
https://flic.kr/p/2pQA7nv
https://flic.kr/p/2pQtdSq
https://flic.kr/p/2pQzCFN
+ bonus: historical photo:

UR-200.jpg

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
That palmtree is super cool. How it is textured ?
Actually I haven't studied that, but nonetheless the addon contains meshes and a *.dds texture with the alpha channel of the palmtree. The palmree looks like two crossed textures with the following "features":

p.png

You can try this addon to discover these palmtrees. I'm sure we should investigate the best ways to implement trees in Orbiter, since even a small number of them greatly improves the visual appearance of bases (along with buildings).

By the way, I'm going to add a bluer water area around the island like in the original addon.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You can try this addon to discover these palmtrees. I'm sure we should investigate the best ways to implement trees in Orbiter, since even a small number of them greatly improves the visual appearance of bases (along with buildings).

By the way, I'm going to add a bluer water area around the island like in the original addon.

Maybe it could be done in OpenOrbiter as some special kind of "microgeometry", that is generated on the GPU.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Actually I haven't studied that, but nonetheless the addon contains meshes and a *.dds texture with the alpha channel of the palmtree. The palmree looks like two crossed textures with the following "features":

View attachment 38102

I made a few experiments on my side, that's why I was curious. I had the exact same issues. It looks like the 'order' in which the objects are drawn don't work well with transparency (alpha-channel mapping).

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
🚩🚀 Chelomei's UR-200 (GRAU index: 8K81, NATO code name: SS-10 Scrag) - the famous Proton's elder and largely forgotten sibling.

The UR-200 was a Soviet multirole rocket intended to serve as an ICBM, fractional orbital bombardment system (FOBS) and orbital launch vehicle, mainly for launching the IS anti-satellite weapon and the US-A radar ocean surveillance satellites (a.k.a. the infamous RORSAT).

Looks much better fit for the ICBM job than the UR-500 IMHO...