Software Orbiter.log missing under Window 7

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I just switched over to windows 7 and copied my orbiter stuff to it. Problem is I have no orbiter.log file. Any suggestions ?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
It's been a while since I last fired up Orbiter, but isn't the log file generated upon first run?

If so, did you copy your whole Orbiter installation or did you perform a clean install?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It's been a while since I last fired up Orbiter, but isn't the log file generated upon first run?

If so, did you copy your whole Orbiter installation or did you perform a clean install?

I copied the whole Orbiter install, and did first run. I had a CTD, but no Orbiter.log file to look at. Also, I can't edit any .cfg files. I get an access denied error.

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I copied the whole Orbiter install, and did first run. I had a CTD, but no Orbiter.log file to look at. Also, I can't edit any .cfg files. I get an access denied error.

Sounds like your files are set as Read Only?

2014-04-15_15-40-38_zps0a24a586.jpg~original

If that's the case, try right clicking your Orbiter directory, going to Properties and turning off Read Only, and then apply it to all sub directories and files.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Folder it runs from may have restrictions for your user acount or be marked as read-only. Run system as administrator, then right click on folder and properties.

In 1st tab you should be able to remove read only mark and in "security" tab you can acess more detailed restriction options. (I won't be posting screenshots as I'm running different launguage Win7).

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
If you copied Orbiter in the Programs (x86) or Programs folder found in the C: drive, that might be the problem. Those folders are "special", and portable programs like Orbiter are better installed somewhere else.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Also there is possibility you had your folder encrypted on previous machine. In that case create user with the same login and password and then remove restrictions from folder.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Since Vista, Microsoft had the brilliant idea that programs can't modify anything in Program Files folder. You need to run Orbiter as an administrator if you want to have Orbiter in that folder. Otherwise just move it somewhere else.

Yes, gone are the days when all of program's data could be nicely contained in Program Files...

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
If you copied the Orbiter files from another (or the same) NTFS system, all the user access lists for the files have been copied, too, where there could be no write permission for the regular users group. You can either change it on the Security tab, like Loru already mentioned, or move the files to a FAT32 system (e.g. an SD card, pendrive, etc.) and back, which will remove old Windows' ACLs from the files.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Since Vista, Microsoft had the brilliant idea that programs can't modify anything in Program Files folder. You need to run Orbiter as an administrator if you want to have Orbiter in that folder. Otherwise just move it somewhere else.

Yes, gone are the days when all of program's data could be nicely contained in Program Files...
Because dumping program data into the program files folder isn't friendly to a multi-user environment, which is what Windows is.

The guidance for where to store user-specific things like savegames or settings has been around since long before Vista, it just started getting enforced in Vista.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
unselecting Read-only, had no affect. RisingFury's and Kamaz's solutions both worked. Thanks for everyones help.