jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You could try copying d3d9.dll from Windows/SysWOW64 to Orbiter/Modules/Server/

cmm

Reaction score
Did you install this somehow or was it installed by default ? Microsoft has quit supporting d3d9 on some graphics chips and d3d9 is provided through emulation layer. If I recall there exists a similar layer d3d9onVulkan. So, I guess the question would be how to disable d3d9on12 and run it natively with 3050 GPU ?
d3d9on12 was installed by default. the only graphics thing I have installed is https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109 which I don't think includes that but did include d3d9. I'm not sure how to disable d3d9on12-if you have any ideas I would love to try them.

Would it be onerous to try and compile it so that it translates to OpenGL (I think thats what you mean by vulkan wrapper) and just test to see if it works?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The best course of action would be upgrade of D3D9Client to VulkanClient but is very huge task. But then of course upgrade to DX11 would be faster due to more similarities and already existing code pieces. But even that would take a year or more. I don't really like the wrapper ideas but I don't know yet how much work it would take to try it out.

I also have d3d9on12.dll on my computer but it's not being used. I didn't find any options to control it.

I can't give any recommendations but I had such a problem on my laptop then I would probably try to find information how to force 3050 GPU always on or turn off iGPU but things like that might not be risk free.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score

cmm

Reaction score

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I think I managed to enable the DX9 through DX12, so I have a new patch for testing. There is a new configuration option "EnableDX12Wrapper = 0" added to D3D9Client.cfg
With the DX12 wrapper enable I have noticed a rendering problem in DG ID label on the wing (black square) and the frame rate is about 50% lower, so, it's not really a victory. Could you test it with and without the wrapper.

cmm

Reaction score
so by enable and disable I assume you mean changing EnableDX12Wrapper = 0 to EnableDX12Wrapper = 1?

at least I can launch it now (yay I am so happy!)
there are two things that are a bit strange to me first is that I cannot seem to be able to have the option to select the nvidia card (I enabled the integrated intel one instead so it would work).
second what happened to the planetary textures they are all weird (everything else is fine and working properly though)
1703642047930.png

1703641456318.png

Attachments

• orbiter logs with wrapper.zip
    336.9 KB · Views: 4

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Could it be that the surface textures are missing ? You said you re-enabled iGPU for testing, did the Orbiter work properly with iGPU disabled ?

cmm

Reaction score
Orbiter launchpad crashed with iGPU disabled.
Not sure where to look for the surface textures (they don't seem to be in "Textures or Textures2"if you could let me know which folder to search I can look for them?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Orbiter launchpad crashed with iGPU disabled.
Not sure where to look for the surface textures (they don't seem to be in "Textures or Textures2"if you could let me know which folder to search I can look for them?

Planetary textures are located in /Textures/<PlanetName> and they are in a *.tree format. You don't need to install or move them. You can simply point from where they can be found. To do this, add the location in Orbiter_NG.cfg like this:
Code:
; === Subdirectory locations
PlanetTexDir = C:\Software\Orbiter2016-SVN-Clean\Textures\

there are two things that are a bit strange to me first is that I cannot seem to be able to have the option to select the nvidia card

New laptop computer don't have that ability any more with DirectX9 applications, based on my understanding, DX9 is stuck using the same GPU as the desktop uses. There is one report somewhere saying that disabling iGPU would have solved the problem.

I have never had a laptop with dual graphics. My old laptop only uses Intel HD Graphics 4000

cmm

Reaction score
Planetary textures are located in /Textures/<PlanetName> and they are in a *.tree format.
the textures aren't there. Can I just copy them from the orbiter 2016 installation or is there a different way?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
the textures aren't there. Can I just copy them from the orbiter 2016 installation or is there a different way?
Yes, you can copy them from Orbiter 2016 or specify the path like in a post above.

cmm

Reaction score
New laptop computer don't have that ability any more with DirectX9 applications, based on my understanding, DX9 is stuck using the same GPU as the desktop uses. There is one report somewhere saying that disabling iGPU would have solved the problem.

I have never had a laptop with dual graphics. My old laptop only uses Intel HD Graphics 4000
It's fine that it can't be used on the nvidia graphics. I just want to use orbiter and the intel card is doing a perfectly fine card so I am happy using orbiter on that card. Although doesn't the wrapper enable it through DX12 so that the computer thinks its using DX12 or does something different happen?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It's fine that it can't be used on the nvidia graphics. I just want to use orbiter and the intel card is doing a perfectly fine card so I am happy using orbiter on that card. Although doesn't the wrapper enable it through DX12 so that the computer thinks its using DX12 or does something different happen?
As far as I can tell, d3d9on12 is a DirectX9 driver that reroutes the calls to DirectX12 driver. So, OS would still see it as DX9 application.

Reactions: cmm

cmm

Reaction score
I think I managed to enable the DX9 through DX12, so I have a new patch for testing. There is a new configuration option "EnableDX12Wrapper = 0" added to D3D9Client.cfg
With the DX12 wrapper enable I have noticed a rendering problem in DG ID label on the wing (black square) and the frame rate is about 50% lower, so, it's not really a victory. Could you test it with and without the wrapper.
thanks for the help now everything is working including textures. whats the usual framerate though since im seeing about 300?
1703690489078.png

Reactions: GLS

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
My old laptop 40-100fps
Gaming Desktop 500-2000fps

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for your help with the issue. I'll include this DX12 wrapper mode officially into the Open Orbiter.
Edit: I would recommend disabling anti-aliasing to improve frame-rates, it hits hard on intel HD graphics 4000 at-least.

cmm

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for your help with the issue. I'll include this DX12 wrapper mode officially into the Open Orbiter.
Edit: I would recommend disabling anti-aliasing to improve frame-rates, it hits hard on intel HD graphics 4000 at-least.
ok thanks for the tip. I'll let you know if any other related issues come up