Orbiter home page not listed in Google

canadave

Reaction score
*** EDIT: It seems to be fine now (Sat Jan 16). ***

Hi,

I know this is a minor point, but it seems that now, if you search for "orbiter" on Google, the Orbiter home page does not come up in the list. The first couple of results are the Orbiter wiki, then Dan's page, then a few other pages, then the Download page on the Orbiter website, etc....but no actual home page for the main website.

I'm guessing this changed relatively recently, as in December I could easily get to the Orbiter home page via Google search. I'm guessing Martin made some change on the back end and it killed the home page listing in Google.

Just wanted to bring it to Martin's attention (or to whomever is charged with maintaining that site) in case they monitor this forum.

==Dave

Last edited:

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Hi,

I know this is a minor point, but it seems that now, if you search for "orbiter" on Google, the Orbiter home page does not come up in the list. The first couple of results are the Orbiter wiki, then Dan's page, then a few other pages, then the Download page on the Orbiter website, etc....but no actual home page for the main website.

I'm guessing this changed relatively recently, as in December I could easily get to the Orbiter home page via Google search. I'm guessing Martin made some change on the back end and it killed the home page listing in Google.

Just wanted to bring it to Martin's attention (or to whomever is charged with maintaining that site) in case they monitor this forum.

==Dave
um the first hit I have is Orbiters main page.

second hit is the orbiter related sites page, third is OH. 4th is Orbiter on wiki...

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Same on Bing; Orbiter is the first hit.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Same here :D It is the first result on google, bing, yahoo, ask, altavista, and lycos.
It is not the first result on dogpile, webcrawler, and metacrawler.
googorbpic.jpg

Last edited:

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Hm. Also the first result for me.

Schimz

Reaction score
The Orbiter main page seems to be not correctly semantic. It's a bunch of tables and div encapsulating bad html tags (such as many H1 tags). This can ruin your google index.
Thanks to Google algorithms, the search engine can identify some sections such as links in div with ID=navbar or Download page.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Comes up fine here.
However I recently noticed that google is giving me more and more bad results based on geolocating.

canadave

Reaction score
Well, that's odd....this morning it seems to be working normally.

Very strange....it was nowhere to be found on Google for several hours last night when I looked. Bizarre!

Oh well--glad it's "back in Google's good graces" ;)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't even know Altavista and Webcrawler still existed. Haven't heard those names in years. Infospace is another one.