Orbiter 2010 does not work

Dreamer

Reaction score
I just downloaded and installed orbiter 2010 zip I have done this before with earlier versions and no problems. I had to install the runtime libraries but all i get is an error box that says This app failed to start because configured incorrectly. reinstalling make fix problem. Anything else i can try or should i just delete orbiter 2010?

Dreamer

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Have you tried using an MSI installer? Those are worth a shot. If those don't work, I can't really suggest anything else. Maybe installing in a different directory?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Are you trying to run a pristine Orbiter 2010, or did you install any add-on?

Did you run vcredist_x86.exe that is in Install subdirectory of Orbiter?

If that doesn't help, try to install Orbiter with MSI installer you can download from here.

And please provide your computer's and operating system's specifications if nothing I suggested helps.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
The first time you start O2010 it starts a check for all necessary runtime libraries it needs to work correctly. That the check is not starting is a bad sign from the start...

After the check finishes correctly, it deletes itself and renames the actual executable to orbiter.exe
You might try and do this manually.

Good Luck

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The problem usually occurs when running an Orbiter Install on a different machine (eg because you have it on an external harddrive, or because you copied it over from somewhere else), and that machine doesn't have all the neccessary stuff installed (typically the vc runtime libraries, but since you said you installed those I'm not quite sure what else it can be).

Stevodoran

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
make sure you didn't install it over an earlier orbiter i made that mistake once

Dreamer

Reaction score
I ddi not install the addon I have a feeling nothing i try will work the other versions were all headache free so maybe this new version won't work but i still have the older version in another folder. I might try MSI if i do have to wait till next weeked. I was looking forward to trying this but if i can't then iguess i can't thanks for your help

Dreamer

Dreamer

Reaction score
I tried MSI installer and i get the launchpad finally, but when i click on a senario i get a console dialog box (no graphics) so how do i get graphics to work?

Dreamer

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I tried MSI installer and i get the launchpad finally, but when i click on a senario i get a console dialog box (no graphics) so how do i get graphics to work?

Dreamer
Make sure your are running Orbiter.exe and not Orbiter_ng.exe. The ng suffix indicates it's the No Graphics version.

Dreamer

Reaction score
I am running ng because there is no other I have 3 orbiter icons, one is the icon next TODO andthe ng Where is the exe? I looked in the other folders

Dreamer

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Your orbiter installation should look like this (with variation, depending on what version of windows you are running):

6jk9c8.png

You want the circled one. It is classified as an 'Application', and is by far the biggest file of the three. If you do not have this icon, your installation is faulty.

Dreamer

Reaction score
Mine says application but the size is 272 kb I am running windows xp pro. I tried repairing, restarting the computer but no luck. If you hae any other ideas let me know, otherwise i will just delete it and i was looking forward to see the new orbiter. Maybe this new version has some bugs

Dreamer

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Mine says application but the size is 272 kb I am running windows xp pro. I tried repairing, restarting the computer but no luck. If you hae any other ideas let me know, otherwise i will just delete it and i was looking forward to see the new orbiter. Maybe this new version has some bugs

Dreamer
Have you tried deleting the entire folder and re-installing Orbiter2010-P1 from scratch? Be sure to get the complete Orbiter 2010-P1 package, not just the basic patch package(Orbiter100830.zip VS Orbiter100830-100606diff.7z). Also, the 272 kB file size is indicative that it is the installation verification utility that will run the first time you run Orbiter.

So try running that one and let it complete and you'll have better luck.

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score

Dreamer
The orbiter.exe file has 278528 bytes only before first run, so installation tests could be performed to check whether your system doesn't miss any required component. It's "Orbiter Installation Verification" tool. After those tests have completed, the file is replaced by real orbiter.exe that has 2248704 bytes. Have you tried to run it? Did "Orbiter Installation Verification" dialog box appear for you? And If you run it, did those tests hang on checking DirectX?

If Orbiter Installation Verification tool doesn't want to run or hangs on some tests, you can rename orbiter.bin from Install subfolder of Orbiter to orbiter.exe, and then move it to Orbiter folder, and replace the existing 272 kB orbiter.exe file with 2 MB real orbiter.exe file.

Dreamer

Reaction score
I did not let the dialog box that came out run through everything I just shut it down thinking there was a problem. It works great I just have to install sound and i will be in business,. thanks for your help

Dreamer