Orbiquiz 2.0 #2

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
I do believe that it is time again for another Orbiquiz! I've received some books and DVDs on NASA, so you'd better brush up on your space flight knowledge! (Both the fairly obvious stuff and not-so-obvious stuff)

If there's going to be an overarching theme in this orbiquiz, it will be mainly on Mercury and Gemini. At the time of writing this, I imagine the questions will be composed of at least 70% Mercury/Gemini trivia. However, please feel free to send me questions, whether or not they relate to the theme. If you do send questions, please post a link as your source of information.

The tentative date and time for the Orbiquiz will be on Sunday, February 5th, 2012, at 21:00 GMT. The location will be the same as last time: #orbiquiz on the systemnet IRC. In order to join #orbiquiz, please log on to the orbiter IRC. From there, type the following: /join #orbiquiz

You will then have joined the orbiquiz IRC channel.

RULES:
1) The first person to answer the question correctly receives 2 points. The 2nd person to answer receives 1 point.
2) Wrong answers are not counted against you, so keep guessing until I end the question
3) When I run out of questions, the quiz will end
4) When I use a question supplied by an orbinaut, the question supplier cannot answer
5) In the event of a single-user connection lost, there is nothing that can be done (I cannot turn back the quiz for one user). In the even of a netsplit (a massive user disconnect), the quiz will resume from the last moment that appears on my screen. If I see an answer on my screen, I will count it.
6) All of my conclusions are final

Do not be afraid to ask questions attempting to clarify an answer. I will try to make the question (and any relevant information) obvious, but what might be obvious to me may not be obvious to someone else.

Since the vast majority of the world uses metric, all of my units in this quiz will be in metric, whether it be from conversion or just pulling data. Be sure to have a unit converter handy!

Acceptable question content:
-Anything pertaining to Space(Astronomy, physics, the like) or Orbiter
-Things the common person COULD know, but may not necessarily know right now (For example, technical data available via a book or movie or the internet)
-Nothing requiring advanced mathematical knowledge

Acceptable questions: Who is the creator of Orbiter? What does Delta-V mean? Name the rocket that carried Explorer 1, the first US satellite. Name the Orbital Period of Jupiter. What was the name of the first Mercury capsule that carried Alan Sheppard?

Unacceptable questions: If Jupiter and Earth are on opposite sides of the sun, and the sun just ejected a solar flare at 30 degrees relative to Earth, give the force, in newtons, that Jupiter exerts on the earth.; How far apart are the first and second stages of the Saturn V model in Huntsville, Alabama? (This question would most likely spawn from a direct observation, not something everyone would have access to)

Please PM me questions for the quiz, and post any questions/concerns about the quiz in this thread. I have a couple ideas, and I want to get your opinions on them:

-What do you guys think about the idea of a theme for the orbiquiz?
-If I were to have certain questions be "one answer only" questions; that is, each persons first response is their answer, would you like this? (To prevent shotgunning for answers)
-Or how about some questions with multiple parts (such as a question from last time, where I asked for some of the orbital parameters), but each person is only allowed to answer one of them, and the rest would be available for the other people to answer. For example, if I were to say "List the 6 orbital parameters of any orbit), 6 people would answer, but each person would receive 1 point
-Would these possible additions be changing orbiquiz in a way that adds too much complexity to it?

Any and all input is appreciated.
Thank you,
~Kaito

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
-What do you guys think about the idea of a theme for the orbiquiz?

I think it is an interesting way to add some flavour. Not sure about Mercury/Gemini being the theme- I find it a bit boring personally, but it's still an interesting concept.

-If I were to have certain questions be "one answer only" questions; that is, each persons first response is their answer, would you like this? (To prevent shotgunning for answers)

I don't know. I liked the shotgunning for answers bit. I thought it was part of the fun. But perhaps it's defeating the purpose of an Orbiquiz in some way?

-Would these possible additions be changing orbiquiz in a way that adds too much complexity to it?

Perhaps, but for all except the multiple-answer-question thing I think they shouldn't change the complexity much but rather enhance things a bit. An orbiquiz has to be something simple, I think... though the questions of course don't have to be. :)

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Hm...today is the 22nd...and in 7 days will be the 29th..thats right, one more week till the orbiquiz!

I have received ZERO questions from people. Please send in questions!

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Well, some unforeseen events have cropped up, and I will be unable to host the orbiquiz on the 29th. So I'm pushing it back one week to February 5th. Same time (21:00 GMT), same place (#orbiquiz on irc.systemnet.info).

I apologize if this inconveniences anyone

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
The orbiquiz finished! It lasted about 40 minutes, less time than I hoped, but still good enough.

Final scores: Zatman is the winner with 23. TNeo in 2nd place with 17. Woo482 in 3rd with 15. Scruce and Pablo tied with 7, Ky and Krys tied with 2

Congratulations to Zatman, TNeo, and Woo482.

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Scruce informed me of this, but in my wisdom, I forgot about it about 2 minutes after he mentioned it to me.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Code:
[22:40] <Gary> then get scruce to host one

Well, why not? I've always thought of hosting a quiz, and I have a couple of ideas in mind.