Opinions on gun laws in your country

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

Relayer91

Reaction score
On the topic of Airsoft, they are legal to buy and to import in Canada as long as the lower receiver is clear. All parts can be metal, except the lower receiver, as it has to be see trough. Many high quality airsoft manufacturers have Canadian versions of their guns in a very dark, yet still transparent colour for the lower.

Similar yet slightly different law here in the UK - anybody over 18 can buy an IF (Imitation Firearm) which is what airsoft weapons are referred to as in law here. To be an IF, it has to have a body colour clearly dissimilar from a real firearm. Clear, or bright neon-electric colours are the usual. It is illegal to modify the colouring of these to a more realistic colour.

Now, this is where the RIF (Realistic Imitation Firearm) comes in. These are your normal, standard airsoft guns. They look exactly like the real deal - and in some cases parts of them are RS parts - a couple of bits on my own custom built M4 GBB are real-steel. In order to have a RIF, all you need is to be a member of a skirmish club/site. You're obviously not limited to playing just there, but you need to be registered somewhere. Getting registered is pretty easy, all you need to do is attend a minimum of 3 skirmishes over a period of no less than (I think 6 months, I could be wrong, it's been a while since I looked at the specifics) - after that, you can buy, sell, modify whatever the hell you want (within airsoft). It's illegal to sell a RIF to someone who is not registered. Technically there's a legal loophole where a gun can be given as a gift, but absolutely no money can change hands - and the buyer must still be a registered airsofter.

---------- Post added at 04:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 AM ----------

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.
I agree wholeheartedly - a firearm is a mechanical tool. How you use it determines whether you're a hunter, target shooter, or mass murdering :censored:head - and making sure that only people who have a good reason for having guns is an excellent method of stopping the wrong people from getting a hold of them. In the UK, there simply isn't a 'gun culture' the same way as there is in the US. Few criminals are armed with firearms - simply because the general population isn't armed, so we have no real need for having firearms for self defence. Hence, simply requiring everyone to have a good reason works well enough for us.

RichWall

Sage Brush
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Arm Yourself, Make beer. Grow your own food, Shake hands, Be Friends, be Honest when it's not popular, Have a bar-b-que, kosher meat if necessary, talk to each other, cry when they cry, hug when they try, why not? Teach the children proper 'get along tactics', flirt with someone.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
On the topic of Airsoft, they are legal to buy and to import in Canada as long as the lower receiver is clear. All parts can be metal, except the lower receiver, as it has to be see trough. Many high quality airsoft manufacturers have Canadian versions of their guns in a very dark, yet still transparent colour for the lower.

Like this:
wocRIS-4.gif

However, after buying the gun you can mod it however you wish. I play full MilSim airsoft, and everyone mods their guns by installing a new one or painting over. Gas operated airsoft guns are perfectly legal to own but illegal to import, talk about catch 22, yet still, many people own gas operated guns.
[AirsoftSupporterRage]Someone should run this one by our government, although, if they won't accept the "at least 51% must be fluorescent" I don't know that they'll be too happy with "This part must be transparent but you can change it later."

To be quite honest I think that our government is way to uptight about Airsoft, here's some examples of the government's statements and the Airsoft community's rebuttal.

They can be used in robberies.

Well, so can screwdrivers and knives, are you going to ban them to?

They are exact copies of current military firearms.
They don't have to be, transparent or fluorescent plastic could be used to clearly indicate that it is not a real firearm.

The sport emulates military search and destroy missions.
And paintball and laser tag don't?

The activity of Airsoft as a means of shooting another person whilst acting out military simulations with similarly styled firearms would appear to be at odds with the expectations of the wider community.
Again, don't paintball and laser tag?

They fire 6mm plastic ball bearings, break the skin, and cause pain on contact.

And yet there are completely legal sports where the goal is to inflict damage to your opponent, such as kickboxing.

:facepalm:
[/AirsoftSupporterRage]

Edit: Link if anyones interested in a bit more detail. http://www.airsoftcouncil.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68&Itemid=89

Last edited:

Turbinator

Reaction score
Last year I was shot right in the knuckle of my middle finger in a close encounter, I couldn't use my fingers properly for half a month. Yet I was shot all over my back with only a shirt on, and yes, it hurt like getting shot. However, only for a few seconds and no pain or bruising after that. So far, than knuckle shot was the most serious damage received.

I played paintball once, and only once (very dirty sport) and the shots hurt a helluva lot more, however since the projectiles are bigger and gel like, you don't have that magical ability of the 6mm airsoft round literally pierce skin.

In Canada, at least in my part of the country, we always wear face protection. It might look bulky, or get very hot in the summer, but you wont loose your eyes, your teeth, or your life. If you come without a mask, you will not be allowed to play. No matter if you are on a private field or an organised game on some farm.

Last edited:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
By far the best weapon for home defense is a pump shotgun (just my opinion).
Distinctive sound those shotguns...

Yes it is, and it's not just the sound. I prefer long weapons because I'm a rifleman at heart but there are also other considerations: a long weapon is more stable and when you're in a tense situation it helps a lot; it can be used to keep an assailant at bay or to parry an attack with a bludgeoning weapon; it can be fitted with a high-powered flashlight that will dazzle your target while enabling you to see it perfectly; and shotguns can be loaded with non-lethal rounds or with low-powered loads which will knock down your adversary without endangering yourself or the neighbours through ricochets or overpenetrating shots.

Besides, there are now shotguns with twin magazines that can be selected with a lever switch like the Kel-Tec KSG (see it here) so you can have your rubber pellets and birdshot loaded at the same time and choose the best option.

"Set shotgun to stun" anyone? :thumbup:

Around here shotgun sales have gone down since it has been easier to buy pistols, which is bad. Those weapons occupy different tactical niches. As far as tools in a box go, a pistol is a street tool and a shotgun is a home tool. As for the rifle, it is the tool but sometimes it's too too.

Last edited:

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Last year I was shot right in the knuckle of my middle finger in a close encounter, I couldn't use my fingers properly for half a month. Yet I was shot all over my back with only a shirt on, and yes, it hurt like getting shot. However, only for a few seconds and no pain or bruising after that. So far, than knuckle shot was the most serious damage received.

I played paintball once, and only once (very dirty sport) and the shots hurt a helluva lot more, however since the projectiles are bigger and gel like, you don't have that magical ability of the 6mm airsoft round literally pierce skin.

In Canada, at least in my part of the country, we always wear face protection. It might look bulky, or get very hot in the summer, but you wont loose your eyes, your teeth, or your life. If you come without a mask, you will not be allowed to play. No matter if you are on a private field or an organised game on some farm.
I have a feeling that in those cases the guns must have been set to a higher setting than standard or they were using heavier pellets than they should have.

Tommy

Reaction score
How do you define "insane"?
Current legal definition as far as concealed carry is anyone receiving mental health treatment needs to bring a note from their shrink which says the person is not being treated for anything that may result in violence (ie, bi-polar, anger management, etc.) Essentially, they need to show that, while they may be getting counseling, they are not a risk of violence.

Yes it is, and it's not just the sound. I prefer long weapons because I'm a rifleman at heart but there are also other considerations: a long weapon is more stable and when you're in a tense situation it helps a lot; it can be used to keep an assailant at bay or to parry an attack with a bludgeoning weapon; it can be fitted with a high-powered flashlight that will dazzle your target while enabling you to see it perfectly; and shotguns can be loaded with non-lethal rounds or with low-powered loads which will knock down your adversary without endangering yourself or the neighbours through ricochets or overpenetrating shots.
The down side to shotguns (at least those that meet the legal requirements for barrel length, etc) is that they are a bit hard to manage in tight quarters, such as hallways. I still recommend them - they are more effective in the hands of people with little training - much more "instinctive" than handguns. Using a handgun effectively takes far more training - training that is actually not that easy for civilians to get here in the US. Handguns, being lighter and shorter, are much more sensitive to "pulling" caused by improper trigger finger technique.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Regarding gun regulations in Russia, this quote pretty much sums it up:

Members of public are allowed to own these categories of firearms:

1. Shotguns (and air-rifles from 3 to 25 joules of muzzle power)
2. Rifles (after 5 years long term of owning a shotgun and 5 years long membership in a hunting cooperative)
These two categories mean shoulder guns.

3. "Self-defense weapons" Those are gas pistols and so-called traumatic guns which fire a rubber bullet using a light charge of gunpowder.

No handguns, automatic fire and such.

Licences.
Buying a gun requires obtaining a licence from the police. Anyone starting from 18 years of age can obtain a shotgun or a self-defense weapons licence if he/she meets those criterias:

- not in file as a drug addict/alcoholic
- not in file as mentally ill
- no criminal record
- health certificate
- no certain misdemeanours comitted (such like misuse of firearms)
- that person passed an exam (on legal issues and firearm handling).
- good character report from the neighbourhood police inspector
- a steel gun safe. (very often they require it to be fixed to a wall)

The rifle license requires the same plus 5 years long owning of a hunting smoothbore licence

There are these types of licences:

1. Hunting smoothbore /air powered weapons - this requires joining a hunting cooperative before applying to the police. Hunting cooperatives require an applicant to pass an exam. One with such licence can keep a weapon at home, wear it in hunting/sports grounds and transport it elsewhere. A gun being transported must be unloaded, upholstered, ammo stored separately.

2. Self-defense smoothbore /air powered weapons. One with this licence can keep a weapon at home.

3. Rifle licence. Same as hunting smoothbore weapons' licence carry/storing/transporting regulations plus annual forensic shoot-off.

4. Self-defense weapons. One can carry such a weapon everywhere except certain places.

All the licences must be renewed in 5 years. One can buy up to 5 pieces of weapons of each category. Cold weapons can be bought by hunting licence holders.

Ammo.
Ammo can be bought according to the caliber in your licence. That is a 0.308Win rifle owner cannot buy 30-06 cartridges. Gun dealers log ammo purchases.

Shotgun shells can be legally reloaded (powder is sold by the gun dealers). Rifle cartridges - a legal uncertainity with them, rifle powder cannot be found on sale. However, rifle owners disassemble factory cartridges to get the powder and load imported shells with it and imported bullets Those ones are bought mainly in the US web-shops.

There are private security firms.
They can rent (previously could own) handguns from the police. The handguns are limited in muzzle power - 300 J.

How exactly formal regulations relate to facts depends on how far extends rule of law in certain part of Russia. You'd expect more adhering citizens in big cities of Western Russia, less so in smaller towns and villages where criminalization of society is higher and inter-ethnic conflicts are boiling, and next to none respect to laws in North Caucasus region which is de facto locked in unending undeclared war between criminal and terror groups and various security officials, that is given very little observance in mass media.

Just pure statistics of casualties at NC for last two months:
  • July 7-13: 6 dead, 10 wounded
  • June 30 - July 6: 17 dead, 16 wounded
  • June 23-29: 5 dead, 16 wounded
  • June 16-22: 20 dead, 28 wounded
  • June 9-15: 21 dead, 15 wounded
  • June 2-8: 16 dead, 6 wounded
  • May 26 - June 1: 19 dead, 6 wounded
  • May 19-25: 8 dead, 2 wouded
  • May 12-18: 6 dead, 4 wounded

It is not an unlikely situation in Moscow when a road conflict due to most simple cause (like moving across another car's path) can result in fierce and lethal shooting, especially if the offender happens to "defile an honour" of a bunch of young men traveling in expensive black cars with [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Russia"]code 95[/ame] on the license plate.

Weakening of outreach of lawful authority control results in series of incidents connected to handing of firearms. It is becoming a proven fact that defending yourself against aggressive criminal offense is best handled with applying maximum lethal force one can gather.

For instance in this story (http://www.opendemocracy.net/od-russia/grigorii-golosov/kushchevskaya-crime-and-punishment-in-russian-village) civilians not attempting to defend themselves, paid dear. In one more recent case (1, 2, 3) having firearms helped to repel assault of bandits. However, authorities are most reluctant to ease restrictions of gun trade, because they have well grounded concerns about growth of insurgent groups activity, like that one: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jun/10/russia-hunts-rambo-outlaws-killing-police

For an ordinary citizen the best strategy is to take steps to personal well being that helps to pick places of living at distance from troublesome regions and pray God would keep you alive and healthy. If you are successful on this path you might not need even a pepper spray in your life.

You wanted facts...

Tommy

Reaction score
Follow the money. Prior post.

Now, If Govt cannot see you, it's illegal.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/07/19/amidst-sweltering-heat-dense-fog-closes-beaches/

Even if it kills you.

Swimming in the fog is no different than when it's clear.

Yet, if you drown (and the lifeguard can't save you because he can't see you), your family can sue the city for not saving you. This is all about liability - and is brought on by people filing lawsuits for any little thing a lawyer thinks he can get paid for.

Also, it creates a much higher risk level for the lifeguard who is trying to save you - since he can't see which direction the shore is.

This seems to be a reasonable precaution. The reason it took so long to respond to this is because I wanted to talk to my cousin - a Coast Guard rescue swimmer. He agrees that this TEMPORARY ban will reduce the chances of people drowning AND reduce the chances that the lifeguards will drown when attempting a rescue.

For an ordinary citizen the best strategy is to take steps to personal well being that helps to pick places of living at distance from troublesome regions and pray God would keep you alive and healthy.

You wanted facts...
Unfortunately, the majority of jobs are in cities, where violent crime is more common. I agree with your point - the best way to defend yourself is to eliminate the threat as quickly and decisively as possible.

Silence

Pyro
Reaction score
Some of the most restrictive in Europe, and I'm absolutely fine with that. Firearms don't belong in a civilised society, period.

If firearms are banned, of course only criminals have them - that's the very definition of what happens when you ban something. The problem can't be tackled by letting everyone arm themselves - that amounts to the state saying "we can't do our duty to protect you, we cede authority". A state letting its citizens arm themselves like that is basically admitting it's weakness and inability to cope with crime. That isn't something to be praised.

I see your point, but imagine someone decides to rob you at like 3am. You were on your way home from a party and knew it's dangerous so you would take a gun if they were legal. He pulls a gun out and asks for all your money jewelery etc. You just give it to him because fighting someone armed without a gun, especially bare-handed, is dangerous. It's still dangerous if you had a gun but it decently increases your chances to win.
Basically what I'm saying is no matter how great of a job the country is doing, there are always those who break the law. And if you ever get in a situation with one the police can't protect you. It's just you and him.

RichWall

Sage Brush
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yet, if you drown (and the lifeguard can't save you because he can't see you), your family can sue the city for not saving you. This is all about liability - and is brought on by people filing lawsuits for any little thing a lawyer thinks he can get paid for.

I agree.

But with this heat wave coming through, It might be the only way for some to protect themselves.

Life doesn't always fit into the box.

I remember as a 12 year old kid swimming a mile or more off the coast of Santa Cruz out to the buoys alone.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Feel lucky that there is no duty to rescue in the USA - in Germany you are committing a crime if you don't help somebody in terms of first aid. Regardless how qualified you are or how scared you are. (Luckily, the same law also means, that you can't be punished even if you accidentally kill somebody during the rescue, only in very rare circumstances, you would be wrong)

Silence

Pyro
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with this law, all it does is making sure nobody will see you bleeding and go "Meh...".

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I don't see anything wrong with this law, all it does is making sure nobody will see you bleeding and go "Meh...".

They still can. It is just illegal and is in some cases only a few details different to murder.

And yes, that is the purpose behind that law. If you can save a live, you should do that.

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Feel lucky that there is no duty to rescue in the USA - in Germany you are committing a crime if you don't help somebody in terms of first aid.

What if that person is the person you shot in self defense? :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What if that person is the person you shot in self defense? :lol:

As you can expect: The same. In fact, you are especially responsible then because you had caused his misery. ;)

(Same as if you are a German soldier - shooting the hostile bastard is just the beginning)