Problem Onscreen Text in D3D9?

8bitgamer13

Reaction score
Some addons, such as Well and NoMatter's CTV/ATV/LTV, Kulch's Energia, and UMMU (probably UGCO too, haven't checked yet/don't remember) have onscreen text and graphics, typically for managing crew, life support etc. What I've noticed is that this text doesn't seem to be compatible with the D3D9 client.

Why is this, and is there anything that can be done to allow this text to display in D3D9? cheers :hailprobe:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Some addons, such as Well and NoMatter's CTV/ATV/LTV, Kulch's Energia, and UMMU (probably UGCO too, haven't checked yet/don't remember) have onscreen text and graphics, typically for managing crew, life support etc. What I've noticed is that this text doesn't seem to be compatible with the D3D9 client.

Why is this, and is there anything that can be done to allow this text to display in D3D9? cheers :hailprobe:

Well, in OMP I use screen notations as well to simulate a target tracking HUD (with the characters "[]"), and they work in D3D9. If the screen notation is writing outside of the screen margin, though, Orbiter crashes. This is not the case with MOGE. Perhaps it is the same problem you are experiencing?

8bitgamer13

Reaction score
I'll have a play with the d3d9 settings and see if something works, since that's all I can think of for now. All I know at this point is that text works in orbiter.exe, but not in orbiter_ng.exe.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
All I know at this point is that text works in orbiter.exe, but not in orbiter_ng.exe.

Can you be a bit more specific? Does it mean that addons trying to display text are crashing, or is the text simply not displayed. Also, I think it has more to do with HUD drawing than with screen annotations. If so, perhaps you have to activate GDI support in the D3D9 client.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Try selecting [GDI Compatability] from the [Video] tab. That should do it. There will be a warning that it might slow down system performance, but I've never noticed anything bad.

8bitgamer13

Reaction score
Can you be a bit more specific? Does it mean that addons trying to display text are crashing, or is the text simply not displayed.
What I mean is that, for example, when I press F8 on the CTV so as to bring up the crew menu, the text that should be there doesn't display. All the keys and functions still work, but I can't see what I'm doing. It's the same case for Energy and everything else- everything works perfectly save for the fact that the text doesn't render. I'll try GDI compatibility.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

I tried enabling GDI compatibility, but this was to no effect.

LeePalmer

Reaction score
It does slow stuff.

Try selecting [GDI Compatability] from the [Video] tab. That should do it. There will be a warning that it might slow down system performance, but I've never noticed anything bad.

I would not be surprised if the GDI speed issue has gone away now. It is real problem on on older machines. However it was my first thought regarding disappearing text.
I keep finding wonderful kernals of information. There seems to no way to log them on the system. To join it all up into a guide.

Cheers

Lee