Next orbiter release???

Mr Martian

Orbinaut/Addon dev/Donator
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Hey i was just wondering when the next version of Orbiter is commin out ( if there is a next one) and i was wondering if there was anywhere that people can post suggestions of features that they would like in the next version. If anyone could point me in the direction of such a site (if one exists), i would appreciate it :)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It won't be released Monday, Wednesday, Thrusday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday. You can already strike a lot of dates on the 2012-2013 calendar. :yes:

If it can comfort you, Albert Einstein said :

"The distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion"

If you are the adventurous type, you can orbit a black hole several minutes and come back ; according to the same Albert, that should make it. :)

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
It will be here when it's finished. Quite disappointing answer, I know, but it's the best we have. You can be sure it will be on a Tuesday, though :)

If you are the adventurous type, you can orbit a black hole several minutes and come back ; according to the same Albert, that should make it. :)

Or you could try travelling really fast. See? Albert Einstein has given us quite a lot of useful advice.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Guess I need to start another list of these threads...

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It won't be released Monday, Wednesday, Thrusday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday. You can already strike a lot of dates on the 2012-2013 calendar. :yes:

If it can comfort you, Albert Einstein said :

Well, Orbiter is only Newtonian Mechanics, so that wont work :lol:. I wouldnt put much stock in any estimates on a release date, but most Orbinauts seem to be leaning towards a Orbiter2006-Orbiter2010-Orbiter2014, pattern, releases every 4 years. My personal guess would be 2015, but a vaugue estimate to within a year or two from Martins would be nice. The most recent previews that hes posted seemed to show improved vessel-surface mechanics (landing upside down, touchdown points smoothed) and ground docking.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
but a vaugue estimate to within a year or two from Martins would be nice.

The problem is that people won't treat vague estimates as vague. They'll treat them as exact release dates as we've seen with Dan Steph and his upgraded arrow.

The next version of orbiter will be out when it's out. The current BETA gives a taste of what is to come. Whenver people ask when the next version will be out I have to ask 'Whats missing from the current version?' and I mean that in terms of what orbiter does best - the physics core. I know that most people want collision detection and better graphics but both of those are being taking care of in the DirectX clients that are being written so what's missing from the core?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I wouldnt put much stock in any estimates on a release date, but most Orbinauts seem to be leaning towards a Orbiter2006-Orbiter2010-Orbiter2014, pattern, releases every 4 years.
There were also "2003" and "2005" releases, so it isn't that much regular pattern.

Anyway, personally I consider every new "beta" version as a fully featured and usable Orbiter release, and there were many between "2006" and "2010", as also there were some after the "2010", so if you ask me when will the next Orbiter release be, for me it will be when the next "beta" will come out. :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Martin should stop giving the Orbiter versions names by the release year... Its too easy to increment.

I suggest giving Orbiter versions female first names, so that not only natural disasters are named after women.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I suggest giving Orbiter versions female first names, so that not only natural disasters are named after women.

Are you suggesting Orbiter is a natural disaster? :blink:

Just kidding. ;)

My attitude is, Rome wasn't built on a day, and certainly not on 640K. I'm happy with whatever is out there. :cheers:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Martin should stop giving the Orbiter versions names by the release year... Its too easy to increment.
IIRC, giving names by the release year started only from Orbiter 2005. I still prefer referring to Orbiter releases by using the 6 digit build date instead of it's "name".

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
So, when does Orbiter Jane getting released?

There is a certain dilation pattern - back in 2001-2002 versions were out several times a year, 2003 was last. Then there was 2005, and in the same packet, 2006.
Now 2010.
Next should be 2018 if the pattern keeps up.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So, when does Orbiter Jane getting released?

If we have an Orbiter Jane, I would firmly expect certain interoperability with the Apple/Macintosh platform.

After all, we've already had the Lisa once.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The problem is that people won't treat vague estimates as vague. They'll treat them as exact release dates as we've seen with Dan Steph and his upgraded arrow.

The next version of orbiter will be out when it's out. The current BETA gives a taste of what is to come. Whenver people ask when the next version will be out I have to ask 'Whats missing from the current version?' and I mean that in terms of what orbiter does best - the physics core. I know that most people want collision detection and better graphics but both of those are being taking care of in the DirectX clients that are being written so what's missing from the core?

Yeah, I remember this past spring people were begging Dansteph for an Arrow2012 release every week. Addon development is really time consuming.

Important point with regards to who takes care of what-Graphics improvements will be the province of the client teams, but isnt collision detection solely coming from Martins side? I gather that adding in collisions anywhere outside of the Orbiter core is quite difficult.

I know some would consider this to be a job for the addon devs, but I personally think that the next orbiter release should have a final multistage vehicle solution. For orbiter to really progress as a tool to understand modern spaceflight, we need to make launching a(n) Saturn V, SLS, Soyuz, Falcon Heavy, one of the first things a new user tries after flying the DG for the first time, but for any of these things, you need either:

Multistage
+very common, popular lots of choice
+simple to use
-buggy, boosters dissapear without certain patches, payloads never have any fuel, & cant have a UMMU crew unless hardcoded in the DLL
-Unless Im mistaken, Multistage3 is never coming. If a new orbiter release is incompatible with Multistage2, were going to have a lot of quality addons become useless

or

Velcro Rockets
+very flexible, hard to imagine anything you cant do with it
+usually seems very stable
-very difficult to use. Unless someone does eventually create that visual interface for building them, velcro rockets arent very easy to adjust or create

What we really need is a Dlled vessel class that can be built through the scenario editor or some other program to create a config file which loads the desired launch vehicle, can add payloads in the scenario editor, and can have its guidance set by the user while on the pad (more or less this [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5442"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5442[/ame])
in a general format. I dont think it will be easy to create this, but either through martins or the addon devs, were going to need some sort of better solution for mutistage vehicles.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Why a final solution for it? Are you overburdened having the choice?

You can choose what you want, and if you don't like Velcro or Multistage, you are free to make your own. Who says that there can be only two?

Though I must say, it is hard finding something simpler than Velcro.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
To use Velcro Rockets, you only have to understand vectors basics (and what normalization is). It gave me a tough time in the past, but finally I got it.

Screamer7

Reaction score
I don't care when the new Orbiter will be released.
I consider myself very lucky that there is something like Orbiter at all.
And to put the icing on the cake, it's for free.:thumbup:
Meanwhile I enjoy the add's that is coming out.

Last edited: