Problem new GPU and orbiter wont work help!!

tornadotodd

Storm Chaser
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Doodlebug is fine
Please I have been an orbiter fan for years, have donated, and love the game. I had a gtx 520, updated to a gtx 1050, worked fine. Then got a gtx 1060.. When I launch orbiter 2016 it goes white and says something like error cant initialize 3d software.... so I actually bought a new computer with windows 10. I had 7.. It has a gtx 1080 and even the new gaming computer says the same thing!!!.. so I put the old graphics card back in the old computer and it works again but poor graphics which is why I upgraded to begin with. so two computers.... it has something to do with the graphics card... I don't understand and can not find anything online or any help from anyone. someone please help...Thanks

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
:welcome: to Orbiter-Forum!

The first thing I would do is make sure "Always Enumerate Devices" is checked in the Video section of the launchpad and then select "Direct3D T&L HAL" as your 3D device: that always selects the primary monitor. I would also first test Orbiter in windowed mode before trying full-screen mode.

If that still doesn't work, please paste the contents of your Orbiter.log file.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Could be that you're running a higher resolution than what the stock DX7 graphics engine can handle which is 1920x1080 (AKA Full HD and 1080p). For quite a number of years now, that has been considered the low end of resolutions with 2560x1440 (WQHD, 1440p) being the new norm.

If you want to make use of these higher resolutions, you have to start using the D3D9Client: http://d3d9client.codeplex.com/

This is just showing how much out of date the stock graphics engine really is. And it is just going to get worse as support for such an old API is phased out.

Last edited:

tornadotodd

Storm Chaser
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Doodlebug is fine
This is HORRIBLE!! I can not figure out anything!! I know its not monitor as I have used and tried two separate.. Like I said even at 1080p worked fine with old gtx 520 and even the gtx 1050 which was a huge upgrade. But the 1060 and gtx 1080 will not work!! I cant imagine what it would be because I got rid of the 1050 for a 1060 and that's when the problem started.. Then I bought a new system with a 1080 in it and it doesn't work on there. but if I put the gtx 520 in either computer orbiter works,, but its such an old graphics card that I can not enjoy it the way I should... I am devastated I hope someone eventually reads this that has come across this before.. The window with options comes up after install and when I try to load anything, or launch orbiter I get a white screen that says failure to initialize 3d environment..

tornadotodd

Storm Chaser
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Doodlebug is fine
solved

Dave I have it running now that was exactly my problem.. It sucks cause I now have an ultra hd tv, and the graphics having to scale back are not what I would hope for.. new two tvs. One for SE and one for this.. Thanks for the help.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Just use the D3D9 graphics client (thread about it is here) -- you can run high resolutions, and it gets much, much better framerates compared to the legacy DX7 client. :thumbup:

Also, if you run high resolutions and an add-on vessel's 2D panel is too narrow, you can adjust the "Panel Scale" setting in the Parameters tab of the Orbiter launchpad.