NASA TV Commentary

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hey all, is there any way to turn off the PA guy on NASA TV? As much as he says lots of useful things, it'd be quite nice to be able to hear what is actually gonig on (particularly at TSUP) without him talking over the top :)

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
No, I want to listen in to TSUP and the background room chatter.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I suspect it would be very difficult to get a 'clean feed' of any of the comms channels they use. The broadcasters will have it of course, to mix in with their commentary, but I don't think they would let that 'into the wild'.

What you could do, is invert and add the commentary to the full mix, that would give you just the background. I'm sure somebody made a box that did this for early Karaoke, so you could sing along to the backing, and null out the melody. ;)

N.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Not possible as those are the flight loops which is only for the various flight control teams and is just going through the MCC DVIS which is recorded at JSC in case something goes terribly wrong.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Not possible as those are the flight loops which is only for the various flight control teams and is just going through the MCC DVIS which is recorded at JSC in case something goes terribly wrong.

Bah, that's no fun. I'll go see if I can get the Russian sound direct without a picture then.

would hearing everything the astronauts say would that be invasion of privacy.

No.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
They don't actually have to talk to ground the entire time, you realise ;)

The only time it would be considered an invasion of privacy is when discussing medical details with the ground. In this case a private channel is used that everyone else doesn't listen in to.
Or that's the theory, in practice it doesn't quite work out.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The only time it would be considered an invasion of privacy is when discussing medical details with the ground. In this case a private channel is used that everyone else doesn't listen in to.

In one flight plan I have, the only difference between private and public is, that that UHF mode is checked to be disabled to make sure, the conservation does not get transmitted over UHF by mistake. UHF is simpler to decode than the other channels.

But I can't find any indications about encryption being used.

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
They don't actually have to talk to ground the entire time, you realise ;)

I'm thankful they have a private channel for that, i dont want to know how there peeing or something.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm thankful they have a private channel for that, i dont want to know how there peeing or something.

That is no secret how they do that. They even train this on the ground. :lol: It is a very special lesson, which involves a camera for.....

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com

Please keep an eye on my Soyuz TMA-12 thread (the sticky one). This launch is going to be covered on a Russian streaming video for the first time, the intention is to do something along the lines NASA TV does. I'll post the relevant links once they become known. Hopefully, there'll be more actual TSUP chatter than a reporter's commentary.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Please keep an eye on my Soyuz TMA-12 thread (the sticky one). This launch is going to be covered on a Russian streaming video for the first time, the intention is to do something along the lines NASA TV does. I'll post the relevant links once they become known. Hopefully, there'll be more actual TSUP chatter than a reporter's commentary.

That'd be great! I didn't know about this new idea. As you say, hopefully we'll get some good chatter.

It is a very special lesson, which involves a camera for.....

As the sign in the training center says: "correct docking position is vital":rofl:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
As the sign in the training center says: "correct docking position is vital":rofl:

:rofl:

Bodily liquids have an important place in spaceflight... just research the traditions before a manned Russian flight. ;)

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Haha, yes. Although I have always wondered what happens if you don't feel the need to take part in that particular tradition..is there a specific fluid loading protocol to get yourself ready for it? ;)

ryan

That guy
Reaction score

Will the luanch have English speaking people, to translate for us. I'm wanting to learn Russian, for many other reasons besides space flight, One day i want to go to the eastern parts of Russia, the ones that dont have much of say in whats happens in the west side of Russia.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Haha, yes. Although I have always wondered what happens if you don't feel the need to take part in that particular tradition..is there a specific fluid loading protocol to get yourself ready for it? ;)

Well, if there is a specific fluid offloading protocol... :rofl:One day, we will have this pre-launch sequence in Orbiter. And one day, we will hear the R-7 launcher say welcome to the cosmonauts...