Question Mobile phone choice.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Never sent a text, received a few, and just phone back. Never got into texts, or facebook. twitter, skype. Too old to change now...!

It helps if you think of it as a pocket computer with a cellular modem instead of as a phone ('cause that's pretty much what it is).

Performance-wise, if you could do it on your desktop 10 years ago, you can do it on your phone now (screen size and touch interface permitting).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It helps if you think of it as a pocket computer with a cellular modem instead of as a phone ('cause that's pretty much what it is).

Performance-wise, if you could do it on your desktop 10 years ago, you can do it on your phone now (screen size and touch interface permitting).

My Galaxy S3 has outperformed my 8 year old desktop by far, in every discipline, aside of storage capacity.

Also, Notebook, don't believe too much into your words of being too old for it all. My mother had said the same when I brought my first smartphone at home. Now she is way more active in Facebook than I am, plays much more with her smartphone than I can do, quickly learned to use Windows 8, as if she had never done something else. She posts photographs from her smartphone made during a tournament on Facebook and uploads videos to Youtube. And she is the worst Facebook game spammer among my friends.

The user interfaces are pretty simple now, contrary to Orbiter, the learning curve is really shallow and you are quickly rewarded with small successes.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I'm tripply confused now!

Think I'll got back to my original plan, and get one of these...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMiv-Kn24YE"]Blade Nano CPx indoor 3D flight inverted under table - YouTube[/ame]

N.

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
Hi Notebook, I still have a decent iPhone 4 lying around at home (in Germany, but you can use any USB charger). PM if you're interested.

I replaced it with an HTC One S when my 2-year plan ended.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind and generous offer Arthur Dent, very Orbiter! I'm still perusing the models, and with the Samsung S4 coming out, I think I'll wait to see what the operators offer.
I'm curious why you choose the HTC after the Iphone? Better phone or better deal?

N.

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
Thanks for the kind and generous offer Arthur Dent, very Orbiter! I'm still perusing the models, and with the Samsung S4 coming out, I think I'll wait to see what the operators offer.
I'm curious why you choose the HTC after the Iphone? Better phone or better deal?

N.
There were several reasons:

• I liked the iPhone 4. A decent, fast phone with an amazing display resolution. But I was unimpressed with the iPhone 5. It was a logical evolution but no innovative revolution. IMHO it lacked the "Wow, I must have it"-factor.
  • When a friend of mine showed me his Android phone with the TouchPal / Swype keyboard installed, I was really impressed. But as it replaces the default keyboard, such a thing would never work on an iPhone. I also liked the widgets on HTC sense. This level of customisation is currently not possible with an iPhone.
  • Last but not least, my 2-year plan ended, and renewing the contract with an iPhone 5 would have been way more expensive than switching to the HTC One S.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
All makes sense!
Haven't looked at the HTC models yet, as I said next week-end is blitz shop. Don't like wandering around shops, so 09:00 at the local centre, and around as many as quick as possible. Have a think, then a week-day to narrow them down.

then I go and buy a Blade Nano instead.

N.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Finally got a Samsung SIII mini a few weeks ago. Took two days to work out how to answer the phone...!

I can see ADSWNJ #20 point about eco-systems, I'm an Android now, scary. Lots of stuff on it, sometimes I can see myself on the screen, double scary.

N.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Took two days to work out how to answer the phone...!

Oh come on, same as a click & drag ... :lol:

I'm an Android now, scary. Lots of stuff on it, sometimes I can see myself on the screen, double scary.

That's the crystal-clear clean screen ... And if you touch it, it reacts ! Triple scary ? *goes out*

While on transport, I usually fly a little with the free X-plane 9 on Android and when at home I show one MFD on the phone with the VNC Client and a VNC module made a little ago on this forum. You will never regret your SIII anymore. :p

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, a flashing green button surely is meant to be pressed(haven't tried the red one yet)?
As for the camera, why is it double sided? That could confuse a stupid person...

N.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The red one refuse (cancel ? Idk the right word) the call. There is two camera 'cause the camera looking at you is used for visual calls.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
All true, but if you are new to these devices...

Early days, getting there slowly:cheers:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, I introduced my dad to Android a few months ago. He took a Galaxy Y. His early days were not easy for him ^^

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
installed the x-plane 9, very good, I can see it being a massive time waster.

N.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
You'll redefine the term "time waster" if you get around to try the various customizations that are usually possible on an Android phone. :)
I've got an LG P690 for about one year and a half, a lower-end midrange phone at the time. Sadly it isn't possible to intall a rom based on the newer Android versions, but with a higher-end (and, more importantly, less obscure) device there should be many custom ROMs available. :)

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I've hopped over to X-Plane 10 on the PC after FSX seems to be the end of the line. Instead of trying to get into X-10 on a PC, I'm now trying to get into X-9 on a smartphone.
Is that timewasting, or have I just given myself more to do?

N.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
well, XP10 is way better on PC ^^
But the thing is, you install X-Plane, you buy F-Sim, you find Google Earth, you download Agnry Birds Space and Starwars who you have heard of, and there goes the download counter ! But you're happy, because you cannot get bored again ^^

FADEC

Reaction score
Well, I've hopped over to X-Plane 10 on the PC after FSX seems to be the end of the line.

[Off Topic]

NO! :)

There is still many years to come, if one likes to fly jets professionally at least. PMDG is working on the 777, as well as on a new 747 (version 2). They set a completely new high standard with their 737 NGX already, which is undefeated way beyond FSX. There is no other addon in the world for any other simulation software which recreates an aircraft the way PMDG did with their 737 NGX (3,000 pages of original Boeing manuals, which you really need for that addon). I don't see something like that for X-Plane 10 at all. Sadly.

http://fsxpage.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/pmdg_777_vc_01.jpg

http://www.simflight.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/PMDG_777_prev_jan13.jpg

[/Off Topic]