Question Mobile phone choice.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
End of the line for Microsoft support I meant, probably should have said that! Didn't like the last thing they brought out, can't even remember the name.

Got a few of PMDG, and excellent they are too, I did read on AVSIM they may have plans for X-10, we'll see. I'll probably continue to use FSX, I spent enough money on it
Just feel that X-Plane has more current support, and its different of course.

On a more serious note. Got an e-mail from Google+
1 new photo from your phone

Here are moments from this week that are ready to share
Picture from my window, when I was testing the camera
The Instant Upload feature on your phone automatically uploads your photos to a private album on Google+. You can change your Instant Upload settings at any time on your phone

Is there anything else on this phone that automatically gets sent somewhere, that I don't know about?

N.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
On a more serious note. Got an e-mail from Google+

Picture from my window, when I was testing the camera

Is there anything else on this phone that automatically gets sent somewhere, that I don't know about?

N.

Just Instant Upload that I can think of.
I don't remember it being automatically enabled, but regardless I do leave it enabled on my phone. It's a nice way to back things up since you get some free storage and nothing is public, but it might be a little too easy to accidentally make public if you aren't used to the system.
Other than that, watch out for the Facebook Messenger app automatically trying to send your location to people you chat with. (the Facebook app may also suck up your battery by running GPS but I've found no in-app way to disable this)

If you don't already have 4.1, I recommend it. (Google Now is awesome) Use Samsung Kies on your PC to update your phone.

Lastly, www.google.com/dashboard lets you see what information Google has stored for your account, all very managable.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for all that Quick_Nick, very useful.

Why is my brain hurting now?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
For backing up pictures I prefer to use Dropbox, since it is (or at least seems to be) more difficult to make everything public. It also brings with itself the added benefit of automatically copying the pictures to your PC if you have dropbox installed.

The 2.5 GB limit for free storage space could become a problem, I guess.

Also, if you're using the Facebook app: since the last update it also requires authorization to make calls without asking you. :blink:

Facebook app on Google Play said:
Services that cost you money
directly call phone numbers
Allows the app to call phone numbers without your intervention. This may result in unexpected charges or calls. Note that this doesn't allow the app to call emergency numbers. Malicious apps may cost you money by making calls without your confirmation.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
thanks Fabri91, I'm not on facebook, and don't think I ever will. Still, I''l keep an eye out for any suspicious movements:cheers:

N.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
For backing up pictures I prefer to use Dropbox, since it is (or at least seems to be) more difficult to make everything public. It also brings with itself the added benefit of automatically copying the pictures to your PC if you have dropbox installed.

The 2.5 GB limit for free storage space could become a problem, I guess.

I've been using Google Drive recently. Keeping everything with one account has various pros and cons, and Google gives you 5 GB free.
The only trouble is that I exit the Google Drive process when I don't need it, to save RAM, but have to remember to restart the program if I want files in the Drive folder to actually sync. (but I take it that's roughly how other programs work as well)
If you use ASTRO file viewer on your phone (this is truly a necessary app to have!!), you can access any of the common Dropbox/Drive type accounts.

Last edited:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I struggle with KIES to get it work properly.
It irritate me endlessly because it is so slow.

What version of KIES do you use, Nick?

Not sure. I only used it to update to Jelly Bean. I've got no real use for it otherwise and it is indeed slow. :p
I'm used to just using previous phones as "mass storage" rather than going through some multimedia program. With this phone I do basically the same but in some cases I'll just exploit Drive to transfer a few files.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I've been using Google Drive recently. Keeping everything with one account has various pros and cons, and Google gives you 5 GB free.
The only trouble is that I exit the Google Drive process when I don't need it, to save RAM, but have to remember to restart the program if I want files in the Drive folder to actually sync. (but I take it that's roughly how other programs work as well)
If you use ASTRO file viewer on your phone (this is truly a necessary app to have!!), you can access any of the common Dropbox/Drive type accounts.

Awesome, I'll take a look at it! I'm using ES File Explorer right now, it also offers this functionality.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Bit annoyed, ESA sent me an e-mail that implied a launch would happen in 8 days+. Seems its a promo for some app that ESA(dodgy software inc) would like install on my phone.

...not like me to complain or anything, has any else had this?

N.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Bit annoyed, ESA sent me an e-mail that implied a launch would happen in 8 days+. Seems its a promo for some app that ESA(dodgy software inc) would like install on my phone.

...not like me to complain or anything, has any else had this?

N.

Emails telling me to download things? :huh: Sounds like the Internet to me. :p

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, well, us old folk are still trying to understand that internet thing. When I was lad, it were all analogue round here...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Only both ways...luxury:

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Has anybody tried a Windows 8 phone? I was thinking about getting one. I wonder if orbiter will run on it? :p

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I feel like you said that just to make me cringe. ;)
I have heard nothing but good things about them other then the lack of apps. But that is soon to change also. What has anybody heard negative I would like to know before I get one. Honestly I am really just curious if orbiter will run on it.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Don't know anybody with one, but I tried using Windows 8 on some demo machines (phones, tablets, laptops) and I hate it. The tile system, for me, is too forced. I might like it if it was an optional 3rd party launcher, but then I probably wouldn't use it. I'm an old palm pilot freak, so I never got into I phones because when the original one came out it just seemed so dumbed down, using glitter in lieu of mightiness. Android was crap for years. Over time my incredibly useful palm devices wore out and I was desperately looking to replace my PDA. Tablets too huge, phones too limited, apps sucked, calendars sucked, batteries sucked. Finally 7 inch tablets released and I am very happy. For me, to my surprise, android has pulled itself up and wins. But no earlier than jellybean. Widgets are better than win 8 tiles BY FAR. Iphones don't have "desktop screens" they are stuck in the 90s still using the same system as my old beloved palm pilots. I have a palm pre phone that is still awesome despite HP killing it like idiots. I'm just hoping some time goes by and the other companies will steal the interface tech, namely the card stacks and just type.

I hate how big cell phones are getting. Blech.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I feel like I could tolerate Win 8 when the 8.1 updates comes out of beta.
However, I would never want any Windows mobile device...probably ever.
Based on experience, I stick to recommending Android, but, and this is important, a QUALITY Android device. There are so many cheap Chinese tablets out there - avoid avoid avoid. So far, I really like Samsung products including their Galaxy series of mobile devices. However, Samsung quality (also good customer service!) comes with a price to match.
I understand that people have different roles to fulfill in looking for a mobile device, and that different makes and models are therefore better for each individual. I do not like any Apple product, but I recognize that an iPhone would be a good choice for some people. However, even if an Apple device is a good fit for some, I still cannot justify the absurd price of the products.
I don't see any reason I would want Windows on a phone specifically. And I defintely do not plan on Microsoft getting a not-sucky app market for quite some time.