Project ISV Venture Star

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
No, probably a solar pumped laser. If they can make a sail that big, then they can make concentrating mirrors big enough to harvest a huge amount of light, then feed it into the laser. :2cents:

Ark

Reaction score
No, probably a solar pumped laser. If they can make a sail that big, then they can make concentrating mirrors big enough to harvest a huge amount of light, then feed it into the laser. :2cents:

I'm wondering how you could build a laser capable of emitting that kind of wattage and capable of the required accuracy. You have to compensate for Mercury's rotate, revolution around the Sun, and the motion of the target.

Also, you have to watch what your laser eclipses, lest you burn a swath across Earth's face at the ecliptic. :lol:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
here's my source: ISV Venture Star.

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

You can use a lens array in deep space to correct your beam. They did that in Robert L. Forward's "Flight of the Dragonfly". It's a good book.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
They could also blow the earth out of the sky by accident... :shifty:

"Look at the bright side... if you screw up in this job, there's noone left to fire you!" :lol:

Also: "My emperor, the new deathstar will soon be complete! it will finally enable us to send a star destroyer to another system to take care of the Rebels." "Excellent, Lord Vader, excellent!"

Ninja'd by Ark, it would seem.

Last edited:

Ark

Reaction score
here's my source: ISV Venture Star.

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

You can use a lens array in deep space to correct your beam. They did that in Robert L. Forward's "Flight of the Dragonfly". It's a good book.

Not a bad idea, it means your cannon only has to bullseye the nearest lens.

Hahaha, massive plot hole: Even if Kevin Cost--er, Sam Worthington & Co kick the humans off the planet, there's at least 6 ISVs packed with soldiers and hardware ready to steamroll them from orbit. :lol:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
:lol: Go from Venture Star to Death Star!
:rofl:
Anyways, I think that we're straying form the topic of development. I'll start a discussion in a new thread.
Here we go.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

precisely. One every year. So they have, oh, 7 months to prepare. :p

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, the absolute giganticity of the ISV's propulsion system has been joked about before around here. :lol:

Hahaha, massive plot hole: Even if Kevin Cost--er, Sam Worthington & Co kick the humans off the planet, there's at least 6 ISVs packed with soldiers and hardware ready to steamroll them from orbit.

Or 6 ISVs unable to properly replenish their supplies and propellant for the return trip... :shifty:

yasny

Reaction score
oh my...)

to be closer to the development:
Engines section texturing

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

and radiators "at work"

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh my god, this is gonna rock hard when it hits the hangar! Finally a really great ship I can use with Orbiter Galaxy without editing the hell out of it first!

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Is it just the angle or FOV of the pictures, or is the tether shorter than it should be? It just looks too short to me.

yasny

Reaction score
Is it just the angle or FOV of the pictures, or is the tether shorter than it should be? It just looks too short to me.

yes it's the FOV. Don't forget that this is a very big ship...
the size of the ship and proportions are correct

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Awesome work, mate!! :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to this! :love:

Gerdih

Reaction score
Awesome work!! I hope this to be the best interstellar ship of orbiter!!

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
This is the first post of a big fan of Orbiter- I cant even remember when I started enjoying it! Anyway, this addon looks incredible- say what you want about Avatar (cliche story, etc), but they did a great job envisioning human technology.

I can't wait to download this! I do have a question: will this have a virtual cockpit (or has someone already answered this)? I love virtual cockpits and wish more ships in orbiter would have them (I do recognize the difficulty in creating them, but they make long trips a bit more enjoyable).

My favorite thing from Avatar was the Valkyrie Shuttle (that is the name of it, right?). It's an amazing looking bird- think of the possibilities! And the cockpit was really cool! I suppose XR5s will do until then.

:hailprobe:

yasny

Reaction score
to do: textures, animations of moving parts, maybe sail(maybe…), VC… etc.

I’m working on VC

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

I’m thinking about modular design:

picture.php

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was under the impression that what you labeled as habitation module was the cargo section...