Idea ISV Venture Star (Avatar)

Ark

Reaction score
I understand the use, but it's necessary to have three?

Because after you notice the first shield burning through, how long is it going to take your "Holy crap, shut the laser off!" signal to crawl all the way back to Mercury?

Then again, there were a couple of plot holes that suggested they had FTL radios...

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think that, at 0.7c and with that surface area, there's a significantly greater chance of high-velocity MMOD damage to the light shield, so the shield might need its own whipple shield... :rolleyes:

Edit: wait, the article here says otherwise...I thought the sail was jettisoned, not folded up...though I guess it would be better to keep it stored for deceleration on return to Earth.

Also it seems that the vessel is rotated as soon as laser thrusting is complete, to act as a whipple shield for the entire ship. If it's used as a whipple shield on the light-reflecting side, then it would make sense to have at least three.

Last edited:

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Have you guys seen this?:

Last edited:

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Avatar shuttle Valkyrie made by: arthur-----a,s
model download from 3D Warehouse: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=184142e7d56c65358cfc19f2a5d035c3

K - bay door
G - landing gear
LeftShift + 1 - rotate hover engine
LeftShift + 4 - air brake - not animated
F8 - virtual cockpit

Since spacecraft3 do not support vector thrust don't fire hover engine before animation,LeftShift+1

Valkyrie: http://www.4shared.com/account/file/X5iIxxqT/Valkyrie.html
and: https://rapidshare.com/files/459155994/Valkyrie.zip

Still need to tweak aerodynamic,I don't know how,anyone want it well just do it...
Anim8or file add to zip.

Last edited:

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I believe that the code for the ShuttleA is included in the SDK, you should take a look and see if you can adapt it.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In addition, the Valkyrie's tilting engines are airbreathers as well...

XSSA

Reaction score
I'm on my way to releasing a version of the ISV Venture Star and Valkyrie Space Shuttle. Still need to write a config file and convert the .skp's to .msh.

Eagle1Division

Reaction score
I'm on my way to releasing a version of the ISV Venture Star and Valkyrie Space Shuttle. Still need to write a config file and convert the .skp's to .msh.

Sweet! The ISV Venture star is a personal favorite! I've tried searching for a mod of it before, only to find there wasn't one to my disappointment!

Any chance I could work with the exhaust SFX? The Exhaust plumes from that clip were amazing!

And back to the design, okay, there are two huge flat structures, one at each end. One is a whipple shield... but what's the other? The Exhaust just barely misses it at each side, why is it there? (In the video that shows it leaving Pandora)

Oh, and I finally found the picture with three whipple shields.
I'm confused. How is this the same thing as The Venture Star as I saw it in the movie?

Those two don't look alike at all, to me.

for those who are interested I started a thread to discuss the Spacecraft's hypothetical specifications here.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=21823

Not the same as the Venture Star...

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
And back to the design, okay, there are two huge flat structures, one at each end. One is a whipple shield... but what's the other? The Exhaust just barely misses it at each side, why is it there? (In the video that shows it leaving Pandora)

Oh, and I finally found the picture with three whipple shields.
I'm confused. How is this the same thing as The Venture Star as I saw it in the movie?

Those two don't look alike at all, to me.

Yes they are the same space craft, you're just looking at it "Edge on".

As for not being the true ISV...

The specs detailed by Cameron involve hideous amounts of Handwavium. As a result it is almost too powerful to properly model. The idea of the Skytrain project is to construct a spacecraft that is visually and functionally similary to the ISV Venture Star while staying within the bounds of current/near future technology. (No Magic)

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes they are the same space craft, you're just looking at it "Edge on".

No, they are clearly different; the shape of the shields, the habitation section, the propellant tanks and the engines is different. And there seem to be... cables running the length of the ship. They're clearly quite different.

I think this is a kind of concept art, that did not reflect the finalised design.

The idea of the Skytrain project is to construct a spacecraft that is visually and functionally similary to the ISV Venture Star while staying within the bounds of current/near future technology. (No Magic)

Skytrain isn't interstellar and has a dV capacity orders of magnitude lower, though.

HVIPS was originally intended to look pretty conventional, and visually resembled the Discovery One from Space Odyssey, as well as the Convair Manned Nuclear Interplanetary Vehicle and the Deepstar addon, which was inspired by the Convair design:
strombeckerconvair-manned-nuclear-interplanetaryvehicle_150578164413.jpg

My original inspiration for HVIPS proper was the example of unintentional artificial gravity in 2010, where the Discovery One is rotating end-over-end. This was a basic ground concept for a long line of concepts dating from my first ever attempts to make a 3D model of any kind.

Eventually though, the design for HVIPS changed and became something else... it ended up resembling the ISV partially intentionally, and partially just ending up that way due to being a seemingly intuitive design. And it would have been a very good design if it wasn't for some... small... physics problems. :uhh:

And we all know how HVIPS turned out. :dry: