Project Sigma rocket

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
First simulations show that the launcher can liftoff without solid rocket boosters. Those will be available on-demand to the customer in order to fit all goldplated launch service needs.

8f4f9d0b1b.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

Using docking ports instead of attachment points for multistage rockets is definitively interesting. It saves a lot of coding and potential mass calculation errors, as Orbiter does the job for you. It gives a lot of flexibility and allows you to assemble rockets and assign payloads ingame with the Scenario Editor. It even automatically manages the CoG, which honestly was a bit a hassle in Orbiter 2010.

I wonder how Orbiter manages the aerodynamic model in case of assemblies in atmospheres though. I guess it is probably necessary to manually set the "front" crossection of your rocket stages (excepted of course the fairing/the first one). But even there I'm not sure.

Of course the docking ports have to be destroyed once you don't need them for attachment purposes any longer, but that isn't hard to code, even for an aperiodic amateur like me.

So a lot of good things for virtual rockets designers in Orbiter 2016 ! :thumbup: