iOS compatible Orbiter?

Columbia42

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great to have an iOS compatible Orbiter? Just wondering if there's been any attempts to do something like this. Isn't Orbiter already compatible with Mac OS? Is there anyone out there who's familiar with whatever programming language iOS uses?

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
As far as I know, Orbiter isn't compatible on Mac OS (could be wrong on that, I vaquely recall it from a thread about a year ago), so porting it to iOS is just that much more difficult. What would be the point be, really? I can't begin to imagine how the controls would be managed, let alone add-ons. I don't think it's very feasible...

Columbia42

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be really cool to play Orbiter on your iPod, iPhone, or iPad? It would be sort of an Orbiter lite to simplify the controls. I'm pretty sure it's doable, aren't there quite a few flight simulator apps?

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, there are many flight sim apps. But those don't do the flight simulator justice. There's even a Space Shuttle simulator, but it's very arcadey. I still don't see the point, so you can play Orbiter even more so than now, except now it is dumbed down, and simplified? Cool, yes. Fun, no.

Columbia42

Reaction score
Good point. I still think there is some way to incorporate all of Orbiter's awesomeness into an iOS compatible format. Maybe only for the iPad though. The screen probably wouldn't be big enough otherwise.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Even if it was possible, I wouldn't go anywhere near it, how would it handle add-ons? How would the controls work? (After all the iPod/Phone/Pad only has one :censored:ing button and that is only the exit apps.)

Darren

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Id much rather have orbiter for a pocket game system such as those made by certain large gaming industry leaders

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would prefer Orbiter to stay as far away from the iStuff as possible... Nothing good has ever arrived from it, since Apple stopped using PowerPC CPUs and concentrated on making overpriced consumer gear, it badly sucks.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
didn't we just say that it's pretty much impossible in the other thread?

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah i quit having a preference for Steve's products when (A) I started playing orbiter in 2003, and (B) When I found out the phone and touch gadgets were made so that people could use them without a stylus* and the "apps" weren't even close to being as useful as my old collection of homebrew PDA ware.

*added by edit:

I am talking about the relationship between a full feature interface and pixel-accurate control. It's like the difference between operating a credit card touch screen and using an actual computer. I HATE the downfall of stylus based control in mainstream phones.

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I HATE the downfall of stylus based control in mainstream phones.

Nokia's N900 is a Stylus based touch screen. I don't find it anywhere near as accurate as my iPhone.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have had success running the latest version of Orbiter in Linux (Debian and Ubuntu) via the WINE compatibility layer. However, it's buggy.

In order for Orbiter to be ported to other architectures, the source code would need to be made publicly available. Considering that the current closed-source model w/ an extensive API has been outrageously successful, this probably won't happen (nor does it really need to).

bujin

Reaction score

Skinbak

Reaction score
There is a way of running Orbiter on the Iphones pads etc, just purchase Logmein, works great, maybe not so much on a 3G network, but on any wifi ive used away from home, its been great.