Interesting Shuttle Missions...

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
With the possibility of new life for VSAs thanks to several pieces of software that will come out this and next year (Such as Orbiter 09) perhaps instead of making new VSAs we can discuss interesting things to do with different types of craft.

The shuttle addons in my opinion are used way to much to simulate existing missions. In my opinion their ability to use attachments and other systems depending on addon warrants consideration of fantasy missions in the spirit of the 1980s where shuttle was the future and everything and anything could be done by the flying brick.

So if you were brainstorming ideas for such shuttle missions for a VSA what would you come up with? Now before someone comes in and says these are better launched on different craft keep in mind that this is VSA stuff. Meant to be fun not deal with politics.

I will start with my Idea

I would like to run a shuttle mission that has multiple objectives in more ways than one. Scientists start to theorize that there is a chance that cometary impacts may have left deposits of water bearing materials on the moon. Congress agrees that for the potential future of the space program a probe ought to be sent. A mission is designed in record time to send a dual lander/orbiter partially similar to viking to the moon ontop the new Centaur G stage attached to the cargo bay of Atlantis. To get more bang for the dollar the mission will also Inspect damage to the space station caused by space debris.

After TLI the Orbiter/lander will coast to the moon before doing several burns to settle into mission orbit. Afterwards the lander will seperate and proceed to landing in a crater that many hope could contain H20 in materials buried close to the surface. After landing the probe will take many photos of the area in multiple spectrums and proceed to deploy a drill to get deep under the soil before extracting samples to test and relay to the orbiting craft before the batteries cut out.

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
finally someone thinking on a broader scope. iv been trying to find addons for this kind of thing for a while but nobody makes shuttle addons for fictional missions. id do it myself but i have no experiance with making addons