General Question Im new to orbiter any tips?

YellowFox101

Reaction score
Hello I'm Fox

I used to play KSP and have decided to check orbiter out I haven't played the game yet but will in a few. I just wanted to ask the experienced players to give me some tips and such (what addons to get what to expect etc.) also wanted to know more about this game so feel free to tell me all about it.

Thanks!

From the new guy: Fox.

P.S Thank you moderator(s) for allowing this post.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
When plotting interplanetary courses, always remember that the moon is only 5° inclined to the ecliptic plane and pretty huge.

And remember that you can only land on Venus, but not lift off with realistic settings.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
It all depends on what you are looking to do. Orbiter is very much like a sandbox and you can make it into what you want it to be. You can use it to simulate past, current technologies and fly the Space Shuttle to the ISS or do other things in LEO, or you can take one of the most fansastical add-on ships and take a flight to Mars.

The Go play in space link is a good place to start, but once you know what you want to do, fly the Space Shuttle, fly Apollo, fly to the outer solar system, then things get a bit easier.

YellowFox101

Reaction score
It all depends on what you are looking to do. Orbiter is very much like a sandbox and you can make it into what you want it to be. You can use it to simulate past, current technologies and fly the Space Shuttle to the ISS or do other things in LEO, or you can take one of the most fansastical add-on ships and take a flight to Mars.

The Go play in space link is a good place to start, but once you know what you want to do, fly the Space Shuttle, fly Apollo, fly to the outer solar system, then things get a bit easier.

Is there sound in orbiter or is something wrong with the way I installed it?

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Welcome,

Sound is here.

Recommended addons are here.

Finally, be sure you look for tutorials here.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
All these worlds are yours, except Europa. Attempt no landings there.

theflyingfish

Falling with Style
Reaction score
1. Make two separate Orbiter files, one for regular use, and one for trying out addons. Once addons are "installed" it is very hard to "uninstall" them, and your Orbiter install file can get very messy, very quickly. You don't want to wreck your main Orbiter file with hundreds of silly addons, so many that they conflict with each other and you can't get to the ISS without a CTD. (Not to mention a horrible framerate.) Try out addons in the one file, and if they are useful, you can install them in the other.

2. Try to avoid "Addon Fever". Stick to the basics, (XR-series, DGIV, Wideawake, and OrbiterSound) and learn the basics.

3. Get a flightstick.

20 Litre

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Welcome :tiphat:

* Re-entry Angel: 40 Degree Up
* if you use a joystick:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osQ-pKdt8Ek"]TransX Tutorial - Moon to Mars (Part 1) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
1. Make two separate Orbiter files, one for regular use, and one for trying out addons. Once addons are "installed" it is very hard to "uninstall" them, and your Orbiter install file can get very messy, very quickly. You don't want to wreck your main Orbiter file with hundreds of silly addons, so many that they conflict with each other and you can't get to the ISS without a CTD. (Not to mention a horrible framerate.) Try out addons in the one file, and if they are useful, you can install them in the other.

2. Try to avoid "Addon Fever". Stick to the basics, (XR-series, DGIV, Wideawake, and OrbiterSound) and learn the basics.

3. Get a flightstick.

This is great advice. Especially 2. I fell subject to that one when diving head first into Orbiter. DGIV is a very good craft to learn on, as it is very forgiving, and massively over powered, so it is a good place to learn what needs to be done in orbit, and also has the capability to let you fix any mistakes. Then you can step up to the Space Shuttle, the best Shuttle in Orbiter is Shuttle Fleet, which has a slimmer margin for error, but you can then use those skills learned in the DGIV. And the XR-2 is just the bee's knees when it comes to space craft. Fantastic addon.

YellowFox101

Reaction score
I have a joystick and also thanks any good addons that you want to add? Also how do you make your own ship I came from KSP and it's more of a child's game really.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
If you get the latest version of DGIV, that will take care of numbers 5 and 6 as well, they are all in the same package.

And the XR-2 is tremendous fun to fly.

For tools, MFDs are they are called here,
IMFD will help you get from Earth to the rest of the Solar System
LTMFD will let you go from Earth to the Moon and back again with great precision
Basesync and Aerobrake will make things easier for you when de-orbiting from LEO and land at a certain base
Attitude MFD if you want to control the attitude of your space craft while in space.

Those are the big ones. There are many more for more sepecific actions, LaunchMFD, Rendezvous MFD, Precession MFD, RPOP, BurnTime Calc, can all help you approch and dock the ISS like the pros do it, or alter your orbit, get a specific orbit, tell you what time to launch if you want to rendezvous with an object already in Orbit (HST or ISS). But I recommend getting the basics down on getting into orbit and back to Earth in the DGIV, since it has a nice repetoire of autopilots to help show you what you need to do.

Then the XR-2, which is more of a flyers spacecraft, and you are able to have a bit more control and hand fly it into orbit. Then take a shot at the Space Shuttle, which with its limited fuel supply, low powered OMS engines, and no power during descent, has a very small margin for error.

YellowFox101

Reaction score
How do I disable the automated flying thing I keep crashing and I cant control the delta glider.