Problem Orbiter won't run?

Kalnon

Reaction score
Hello, I've haven't used Orbiter in several years or more and I wanted to get back into it. I recently discovered Reentry and it made me want to use Orbiter again. The problem I'm having is Orbiter will not run for me. I get the error message you see in the attached image.

My specs are: Ryzen 5800X, Corsair 3600 Mhz and a 6900 XT. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. All my drivers as well as Windows are up to date and I'm running a fresh Windows install.

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice to get it up and running, thanks.

Attachments

• Obiter Error.png
    Obiter Error.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 16

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
Are you running Orbiter_ng.exe?
Can you post a Orbiter.log file

Kalnon

Reaction score
Are you running Orbiter_ng.exe?
Can you post a Orbiter.log file
It happens when I run either one of the executable s, though I'm not exactly sure what the difference is.

I would gladly provide the log file, can you please tell me where to find the log file and the name of it please?

As I said, it's been ages since I've used Orbiter

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
File name: Orbiter.log
File location: Main Orbiter folder

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Have you unpacked the D3D9 Client into your main Orbiter 2016 folder?

After this, run the "Orbiter_ng.exe" in the main Orbiter 2016 folder, go to the "Modules" tab and activate the "D3D9Client" module. Then go to the "Video" tab and look if there's your graphics card. If yes, then select it, configure other Orbiter settings and try to launch a scenario.

Also, you can take a look here. If your card is invisible - try this.

Kalnon

Reaction score
Have you unpacked the D3D9 Client into your main Orbiter 2016 folder?

After this, run the "Orbiter_ng.exe" in the main Orbiter 2016 folder, go to the "Modules" tab and activate the "D3D9Client" module. Then go to the "Video" tab and look if there's your graphics card. If yes, then select it, configure other Orbiter settings and try to launch a scenario.

Also, you can take a look here. If your card is invisible - try this.
Thank you so much, problem solved! This was exactly what the problem was and now that I followed your instructions, Orbiter is working perfectly.

I have a question, what is the difference between Orbiter.exe and Orbiter_ng.exe?

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Orbiter.exe uses its native DirectX 7 graphics, whereas Orbiter_ng.exe uses DirectX 9 one. It makes the graphics much better.

Kalnon

Reaction score
Orbiter.exe uses its native DirectX 7 graphics, whereas Orbiter_ng.exe uses DirectX 9 one. It makes the graphics much better.
Okay I see, thank you, now I understand and thanks again for helping me to get Orbiter up and running. I'm really excited to dive back into it again.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
whereas Orbiter_ng.exe uses DirectX 9 one. It makes the graphics much better.
This is not entirely accurate. Orbiter_NG uses no graphics client by default, which is why it has the suffix "_NG" which is short for "No Graphics". It can make use of any graphics client, it's just that D3D9Client is the only one available.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Thanks, yes. (I thought to explain this, but decided that it will be redundant in this thread.)

Kalnon

Reaction score
This is not entirely accurate. Orbiter_NG uses no graphics client by default, which is why it has the suffix "_NG" which is short for "No Graphics". It can make use of any graphics client, it's just that D3D9Client is the only one available.
Ok I understand. DX9 is certainly a much better than DX7, I'm sure performance is much better using DX9. Maybe some day DX10, DX11 or DX12 client will be available, that would be awesome.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Yes, and you have good anti-aliasing with DirectX 9. And some other advantages/features.

By the way, you could the OpenOrbiter (x86 build) as well. It's a pre-release and some addons don't work with it, but if you just want to try an Orbiter that looks even much better than the Orbiter 2016, then I recommend you to try that. Just notice that planet textures must be used from your Orbiter 2016 installation. And the D3D9 graphic client and a sound module are already integrated into OpenOrbiter.

Kalnon

Reaction score
Yes, and you have good anti-aliasing with DirectX 9. And some other advantages/features.

By the way, you could the OpenOrbiter (x86 build) as well. It's a pre-release and some addons don't work with it, but if you just want to try an Orbiter that looks even much better than the Orbiter 2016, then I recommend you to try that. Just notice that planet textures must be used from your Orbiter 2016 installation. And the D3D9 graphic client and a sound module are already integrated into OpenOrbiter.
Yeah I'm using anti-aliasing through my gpu control panel settings thanks to the DX9 module, it certainly helps the image quality.

I didn't know about the OpenOrbiter build, that's very interesting. I'll have to check it out some time but for now, I would rather have the older version where all the mods work because I plan to add many.

Last edited: