Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I still seem to be getting 5-10 FPS on the latest release :(

foxtrot

Pioneer
Reaction score
Stunningly desinged reminds me of a stealth bomber.
Very nice indeed can't wait until its release.

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
New Beta to try out.
http://www.animatedexistence.com/orbiter/HyperDart/HyperDart_PB6.zip

Changes:

1. Optimized the code more, I didn't really see any improvement in FPS though, perhaps 1-2 FPS.
  2. Resized most VC textures to one half their original size.
  3. Returned the Speed-brake keys to "V" and "B" to avoid the conflict with the core assignment for the "F" key.
  4. Added a check for the bay doors being open before you an grapple or release cargo containers
  5. Added a life support system, it provides oxygen for 14 days with a crew of 4. There is a display on the UMMU/UCGO panel below the crew section. It displays remaining days of oxygen. If it runs out the crew dies and you can not control the craft. Crew Receive a (DECEASED) tag on the display when they are dead. Currently there is not a way to refill it. There is a predefined amount of air in the code (14.XX days) so older scenario files (lacking the AIR = line) or adding a HyperDart from the scenario editor will not cause a CTD.
  6. Changed the landed cargo unload position so it isn't under the HyperDart anymore.
Known issues

1. VC FPS performance is still lacking
  2. Currently the only way to kill crew is to land to hard or run out of oxygen, both of which kill all the crew so the (DECEASED) tag is kind of pointless:p I'm going to look into adding some type of stress related death to the code in the future.
  3. Scenario files are not updated with UCGO additions except Mission 4.
Enjoy and leave comments!

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
One quick question: where in the world could you fit four people? I can see two, one pilot and maybe a navigator/scientist in the back in one of the locker-looking things, but four? It'd be a bit cramped wouldn't it. I always imagined the Hyperdart about like the Dyna-Soar carrying only the minimum crew needed so it could be light and quick.

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Normal crew is two, four is only for special missions or emergencies. I invision them in stow-away seats in the aft part of the cockpit, all in a row:
HD_crew4.jpg

Tight but doable. You definitely wouldn't want to spend 14 days that cramped though!

I could always lower the oxygen so you could only do two for 14 days. I wonder what the stress of being in such close quarters would do to respiration rates? Maybe I can write something that would use more oxygen as you pack more people on. Perhaps two crew gives you 14 days, but 4 crew only gives you 5 days or something like that. Anyone know of any studies that may help?

I love comments that get the mind going :)

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Just tested it, and I love it.

Quick question though; what's a nominal rotate velocity for the XB-70?

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Would it be possible to program the engines to overheat and melt/explode after firing them for a certain time?

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
I like the stowable seats idea. Those four people did seem really packed on in there. Deducting oxygen time for each additional crew is another good idea. Maybe you could use the same rates as in the DGIV?

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The code does currently deduct for each person. Somewhere here I read the amount of air consumed by a person per day. I took that divided by the percent of oxygen in air, then figured it out in seconds. At each frame is gets the number of crew multiplies that by the oxygen per second then divides by the timestep. That number is then removed from my oxygen tank. So if you unload a crew member you will see the days of oxygen go up. Not perfect, but it works ;)

What I was wondering is people consume more oxygen per day when they are stuffed in tight confines due to the stress.

This weekend I'm going to change the crew death when oxygen runs out. Currently when the oxygen tank reaches 0 all the crew die. I'm going to change it so once the oxygen is gone the air in the cockpit is consumed, I'll put in a function similar to my damage code where as time passes you have a higher and higher chance that each crew member will die, ending with 100% probability once all the oxygen is depleted from the craft. That should make running out of oxygen a little more exciting/imersive.

I'm also going to change code that disables control of the vessel from a check to make sure there is a UMMU onboard to one that makes sure there is a pilot aboard. More stress for the running out of oxygen scenario, if the pilot dies but everyone else is alive it is gonna suck :lol:

As for the engine damage, I thought about that. But (and there always is one!), I think in reality the mission profile of the craft really keeps that from being an issue. I think that would be a great addition to something that can run engines for a long time, like the XR series. I will put that in my next craft for sure though.

Dambuster

Reaction score
I'm also going to change code that disables control of the vessel from a check to make sure there is a UMMU onboard to one that makes sure there is a pilot aboard. More stress for the running out of oxygen scenario, if the pilot dies but everyone else is alive it is gonna suck :lol:

Can you make it so that the airlock doors will still be operable with a dead pilot? It would be quite annoying if your pilot died, hence trapping your other passengers inside :p

Also, would it be possible for the airlock and other such things to be designated as 'action areas' with UCGO, to be operated using the Enter key?

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Currently the airlock is always open, so that isn't an issue. The dead pilot only disables engine, thruster and aero-surface controls, everything else still works.

I was wanting to put in some action areas though, maybe I'll add one that allows the bay doors to be operated externally and tie the airlock to the bay doors. That way you could close up a HyperDart in orbit and come get it later.

mc_

Reaction score
Problem: can't find fuel gauges in Xl-70 :-( Have to use F8 each time i need it.

Last edited:

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
In the center of the panel there is a digital display with the fuel on it. It has both a tape and digital style readout but the digital is too small to read from the pilot's seat. The fuel is the third section, between the trim readouts and the dynamic pressure readout.

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
As for the engine damage, I thought about that. But (and there always is one!), I think in reality the mission profile of the craft really keeps that from being an issue. I think that would be a great addition to something that can run engines for a long time, like the XR series. I will put that in my next craft for sure though.

The engines could also glow after firing for a while, but I think that's too much... :p

mc_

Reaction score
In the center of the panel there is a digital display with the fuel on it. It has both a tape and digital style readout but the digital is too small to read from the pilot's seat. The fuel is the third section, between the trim readouts and the dynamic pressure readout.

Ok, found it.

Some gauges are really difficult to read, have to use zoom each time.
Is it possible to do something with this? Or it's a final version ?

btw, fps is fine now (~130 in external view and 40-50 inside).

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Unfortunately the VC is a bit of usability nightmare ;) When I started this project I was using spacecraft3 so the VC only had the MFDs as interactive bits. Once I took the plunge and started teaching myself C++ to do a custome dll I started adding more and more to the VC. At some point in the future I will rebuild the VC to be easier to use, but it won't be too soon because I'll have to recode like half the ship. Not something I want to get into right now.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Unfortunately the VC is a bit of usability nightmare ;) When I started this project I was using spacecraft3 so the VC only had the MFDs as interactive bits. Once I took the plunge and started teaching myself C++ to do a custome dll I started adding more and more to the VC. At some point in the future I will rebuild the VC to be easier to use, but it won't be too soon because I'll have to recode like half the ship. Not something I want to get into right now.

If you need code examples, look at SSU, we have done some work on VCs there. You can't use the SSU code directly anyway, but maybe it is shortening the time if you don't need to reinvent the whole wheel again.

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
well, just a suggestion from me, but there is like a helluva lot of accessory buttons in the VCs that have no use whatsoever, like the lights, computers, etc, of which you can remove to add usability, at the expense of immersion though, but this is kind of like engineering, you cut out unusable pieces and make things simple and usable, it's like building the real one, where you won't actually build accessory buttons just for the looks of it.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Any chance of making the XL70's gear a bit stronger? Even taxing around Overton island I end up with the gear collapsing.
cheers.

halcyon

Reaction score
Installing HyperDart_PB6.zip over a clean install results in a CTD.
I tried running scenerios 1-4, all terminated Orbiter.

Here's the log:
orbiter log said:
**** Orbiter.log
Build Sep 29 2006 [v.060929]
Found 2 joystick(s)
Module AtlantisConfig.dll [API v.060425]
Module DGConfig.dll [API v.060425]
Module VistaBoost.dll [API v.060425]
VistaBoost 1.0: Warning: font smoothing already disabled; nothing to do.
Module ScnEditor.dll [API v.060425]
Module OrbiterSound.dll [API v.060425]
Module TrackIR.dll [API v.060425]
TrackIR module found: C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\TrackIR5\
TrackIR initialised
NaturalPoint software version 5.00
Module CustomMFD.dll [API v.060425]
Module CameraMFD.dll [API v.060425]
Module MapMFD.dll [API v.050206]
Module Map3DMFD.dll [API v.060425]
Module LaunchMFD.dll [API v.060425]
Module transx.dll [API v.060425]