OHM Gorizont 1 spacecraft

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Getting a CTD for Multistage2, both D3D9 and inline client. I thought the documentation said this was included in the package?

I have the symbolic links in place for the D3D9 client. Did I miss something?

{snipped to eliminate scrolling ;) }

Thanks,
n122vu

***EDIT*** Fixed. Downloaded the full multistage2 package and BrianJ's Stage DLL patch for 2010P1. Working nicely, though you might want to make a note in the doc or on the download page that this is necessary.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Hi Petr. I have tried to solve the problem of the launch vehicle having insufficient performance to carry the spacecraft all the way to orbit, and I think I have the solution: simply add four more boosters to the Trassa rocket (making it a "Trassa 18G"), and using the original guidance file I got the spacecraft into a -1000 X 650 km X 51.6 deg. orbit. I think if you can modify the guidance file such that it pitches slightly lower than what it does now, it would perform perfectly. Could you please help me to check it? Thanks!

GPS

Edit: One more question: After calculating the performance of each stage of your rocket, I found that the performance of the booster stages are way too low for a real rocket booster: the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_Impluse"]specific impulse[/ame] is just ~169 seconds, which is too worse for a rocket booster (e.g. most SRBs have a S.I. of 250 - 280 seconds, while an engine running kerosene (which I think you are using for the boosters) should have a S.I. of around 300 - 370 seconds. So, I suggest you to either lengthen the total burn time of the boosters (without changing the thrust and propellant mass), or to decrease the mass of the propellant used in the rocket boosters (keeping the thrust and burn time constant), so that the boosters can have a higher, realistic performance, as your rocket's three main stages do. Thank you for your attention, and I applause your detailed work! :thumbup:

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Hi Petr. I have tried to solve the problem of the launch vehicle having insufficient performance to carry the spacecraft all the way to orbit, and I think I have the solution: simply add four more boosters to the Trassa rocket (making it a "Trassa 18G"), and using the original guidance file I got the spacecraft into a -1000 X 650 km X 51.6 deg. orbit. I think if you can modify the guidance file such that it pitches slightly lower than what it does now, it would perform perfectly. Could you please help me to check it? Thanks!

GPS

Wouldn't that be a bit overpowerd for a LEO launch? Besides that, the spacecraft is, according to the pdf, designed to be sub-orbital after separation, that's why it has extra fuel ;)

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Wouldn't that be a bit overpowerd for a LEO launch? Besides that, the spacecraft is, according to the pdf, designed to be sub-orbital after separation, that's why it has extra fuel ;)

Overpowered? Well no, it's pretty normal for a rocket to have multiple small boosters. Look at the Delta II: the most used variant of it uses nine SRBs during its ascent (though only six of them are lighted at liftoff, the other three are set alight after the first six have burned out and separated), and its reliability is one of the best among all orbital launch vehicles ever built (1 complete failure + 1 partial failure among ~150 launches).
As for why doing this despite the original design? Because it can increase the ability of the spacecraft (more redundancy for rendezvous failures, increase the ability of the spacecraft to land at different places at a faster time, probably even allow it to do BLEO work), which is always good. ;)

---------- Post added 08-31-11 at 01:19 ---------- Previous post was 08-30-11 at 23:43 ----------

GPS

Edit: One more question: After calculating the performance of each stage of your rocket, I found that the performance of the booster stages are way too low for a real rocket booster: the specific impulse is just ~169 seconds, which is too worse for a rocket booster (e.g. most SRBs have a S.I. of 250 - 280 seconds, while an engine running kerosene (which I think you are using for the boosters) should have a S.I. of around 300 - 370 seconds. So, I suggest you to either lengthen the total burn time of the boosters (without changing the thrust and propellant mass), or to decrease the mass of the propellant used in the rocket boosters (keeping the thrust and burn time constant), so that the boosters can have a higher, realistic performance, as your rocket's three main stages do. Thank you for your attention, and I applause your detailed work! :thumbup:

Just did some experiment with the launcher, and I found that if you decrease the propellant mass of the boosters to 27050 kg, I could launch the spacecraft to a -250 X 325 km X 51 degree orbit with the original Trassa 14G configuration. That's good enough for me. :)

This is the guidance file that I used:
Code:
-30=PlaySound(Sound\TPACCA_LV\launchG.wav)
-3=engine(0,100,3)
0=roll(15,90,35.87,88.5,1)
15=pitch(88.5,40,45)
60=pitch(40,40,44)
104=pitch(40,20,16)
120=pitch(20,15,83)
129=fairing()
203=pitch(15,10,15)
218=aoa(0)
295=pitch(10,8,20)
315=pitch(8,5,10)
325=aoa(0)
616=jettison()

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
What is the G loading with the extra boosters? I'm wondering, because that would have great influence on whether the rocket could be man-rated.

Cizurator

Whooooosh!
Addon Developer
Reaction score

GPS

Edit: One more question: After calculating the performance of each stage of your rocket, I found that the performance of the booster stages are way too low for a real rocket booster: the specific impulse is just ~169 seconds, which is too worse for a rocket booster (e.g. most SRBs have a S.I. of 250 - 280 seconds, while an engine running kerosene (which I think you are using for the boosters) should have a S.I. of around 300 - 370 seconds. So, I suggest you to either lengthen the total burn time of the boosters (without changing the thrust and propellant mass), or to decrease the mass of the propellant used in the rocket boosters (keeping the thrust and burn time constant), so that the boosters can have a higher, realistic performance, as your rocket's three main stages do. Thank you for your attention, and I applause your detailed work! :thumbup:
Thank you!
I've actually tested the 18G version. But it was before I wrote the guidance file, so my tests were not very accurate. For this porpose 16G sounds maybe even better, don't you think? And 18G would be the strongest of versions for maybe 20+tons to LEO. I'll look at this, I promise. In a week. Or to use longer thrust for my boosters, as you say. Thank you again.:thumbup:

---------- Post added at 06:33 ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 ----------

What is the G loading with the extra boosters? I'm wondering, because that would have great influence on whether the rocket could be man-rated.

That's a good point of view. I'll probably test the higher specific impulse for the 14G first. Or better guidance. Extra liquid boosters are expensive and dangerous toys :) In a few days, people, in a few days...:download:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
I'm 100% certain it's a limitation you can overcome, seeing how you've managed to master SC3 to a few extremes. There's a million amazing things you can make your vessels do with that extra effort of a DLL. At the very least it can cure SC3's terribly limited thruster implementation.

But this is another topic entirely, and doesn't detract from the quality of these addons. :tiphat:

I think that the time is the main factor. Learning to write a dll can be a long process, and the real life has (obviously) the priority.

good work, cizurator :thumbup:

Cizurator

Whooooosh!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just did some experiment with the launcher, and I found that if you decrease the propellant mass of the boosters to 27050 kg, I could launch the spacecraft to a -250 X 325 km X 51 degree orbit with the original Trassa 14G configuration. That's good enough for me. :)

This is the guidance file that I used:
Code:
-30=PlaySound(Sound\TPACCA_LV\launchG.wav)
-3=engine(0,100,3)
0=roll(15,90,35.87,88.5,1)
15=pitch(88.5,40,45)
60=pitch(40,40,44)
104=pitch(40,20,16)
120=pitch(20,15,83)
129=fairing()
203=pitch(15,10,15)
218=aoa(0)
295=pitch(10,8,20)
315=pitch(8,5,10)
325=aoa(0)
616=jettison()

...So I tried to make the boosters stronger, but it complicates the whole guidance very much. After 10 hours :)coffee:in one piece) of trying to hit any satisfactory trajectory, I gave it up.

Your solution seems the best in this moment.
I've tested your guidance, made it a little bit more smooth and reached the same numbers as you did. It would be great if you permitted me to use this modification to update both Trassa and Gorizont. Your help would be surely noted in credits:facts::thumbup:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
...So I tried to make the boosters stronger, but it complicates the whole guidance very much. After 10 hours :)coffee:in one piece) of trying to hit any satisfactory trajectory, I gave it up.

Your solution seems the best in this moment.
I've tested your guidance, made it a little bit more smooth and reached the same numbers as you did. It would be great if you permitted me to use this modification to update both Trassa and Gorizont. Your help would be surely noted in credits:facts::thumbup:

Thanks! :tiphat:

GPS

Cizurator

Whooooosh!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
TESTED, EDITED AND UPDATED !!!

With this configuration I reached much better orbit.
FOCUS also implemented, almost no "F3" needed now.

To both GPS and Liber: you are noted in credits for your great help!

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
So Gorizont can reach orbit on it's own now?

flyingkorolevR7

Vietcong Guerrilla
Reaction score
is there any way i can launch gorizont 1 on a R7 soyuz rocket or proton rocket instead of trassa lv ?

Last edited:

Tacolev

Reaction score
is there any way i can launch gorizont 1 on a R7 soyuz rocket or proton rocket instead of trassa lv ?

I slapped this together for you using [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3209"]Thorton's Proton-M[/ame]. The fairing included for the Trassa vehicle is very nonconvential so I used the best fit included with the Proton. Similarly with the LES. The ascent guidance file put the thing into orbit and that was good enough for me.

Code:
BEGIN_DESC
Launch Gorizont
END_DESC

BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT
  System Sol
  Date MJD 57005.3804422119
END_ENVIRONMENT

BEGIN_FOCUS
  Ship P2
END_FOCUS

BEGIN_CAMERA
  TARGET P2
  MODE Extern
  POS 8.64 81.36 -3.29
  TRACKMODE Ground Earth
  GROUNDLOCATION 62.98447 46.07055 1.00
  FOV 30.00
END_CAMERA

BEGIN_HUD
  TYPE Surface
END_HUD

BEGIN_MFD Left
  TYPE Surface
  SPDMODE 1
END_MFD

BEGIN_MFD Right
  TYPE Orbit
  PROJ Ship
  FRAME Equator
  ALT
  REF Earth
END_MFD

BEGIN_SHIPS
Gorizont_1:Spacecraft\Spacecraft3
  STATUS Landed Earth
  PRPLEVEL 0:1.000
END
SAS:Proton_LV/LES
  STATUS Landed Earth
END
Fairing1:Proton_LV/fairing
  STATUS Landed Earth
  MASS 600
  MESHNAME Proton_LV\KTYPE2
END
Fairing2:Proton_LV/fairing
  STATUS Landed Earth
  MASS 600
END
P3:Proton_LV/P3
  STATUS Landed Earth
  PRPLEVEL 0:1.000 1:1.000
  GUIDANCE
  TRAJECTORY Config\Vessels\Proton_LV\ZVG.txt
  TYPE 1
  PAYLOAD Gorizont_1
  PREF 0 0 1.27
  LES SAS
  LREF 0 0 -4.5
  FAIRING1 Fairing1
  FREF1 0 -.996 5.7
  FAIRING2 Fairing2
  FREF2 0 -.996 5.7
  FROT2 -1 0 0 
END
Skirt:Proton_LV/Skirt
  STATUS Landed Earth
  TYPE 0
END
P2:Proton_LV/P2
  STATUS Landed Earth
  GUIDANCE
  TYPE 1
  DATA 0 0
  PAYLOAD P3
  SKIRT Skirt
  FOCUS 1
END
P1:Proton_LV/P1
  STATUS Landed Earth
  POS 63.0423200 46.0353000
  HEADING 0.00
  ATTACHED 0:0,LC81
  NAVFREQ 0 0
  GUIDANCE
  TYPE 1
  PAYLOAD P2
  INCLINATION 51.60
END
LC81:Proton_LV\LC81
  STATUS Landed Earth
  POS 62.9869700 46.0708400
  HEADING 210.11
  NAVFREQ 0 0
END
kmlWriter:Proton_LV/kmlWriter
  STATUS Landed Earth
END
END_SHIPS

BEGIN_ExtMFD
END

flyingkorolevR7

Vietcong Guerrilla
Reaction score
thanks but what do i with this ?

BEGIN_DESC
Launch Gorizont
END_DESC

BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT
System Sol
Date MJD 57005.3804422119
END_ENVIRONMENT

BEGIN_FOCUS
Ship P2
END_FOCUS

BEGIN_CAMERA
TARGET P2
MODE Extern
POS 8.64 81.36 -3.29
TRACKMODE Ground Earth
GROUNDLOCATION 62.98447 46.07055 1.00
FOV 30.00
END_CAMERA

BEGIN_HUD
TYPE Surface
END_HUD

BEGIN_MFD Left
TYPE Surface
SPDMODE 1
END_MFD

BEGIN_MFD Right
TYPE Orbit
PROJ Ship
FRAME Equator
ALT
REF Earth
END_MFD

BEGIN_SHIPS
Gorizont_1:Spacecraft\Spacecraft3
STATUS Landed Earth
END
SAS:proton_LV/LES
STATUS Landed Earth
END
Fairing1:proton_LV/fairing
STATUS Landed Earth
MASS 600
END
Fairing2:proton_LV/fairing
STATUS Landed Earth
MASS 600
END
P3:proton_LV/P3
STATUS Landed Earth
GUIDANCE
TYPE 1
PAYLOAD Gorizont_1
PREF 0 0 1.27
LES SAS
LREF 0 0 -4.5
FAIRING1 Fairing1
FREF1 0 -.996 5.7
FAIRING2 Fairing2
FREF2 0 -.996 5.7
FROT2 -1 0 0
END
Skirt:proton_LV/Skirt
STATUS Landed Earth
TYPE 0
END
P2:proton_LV/P2
STATUS Landed Earth
GUIDANCE
TYPE 1
DATA 0 0
PAYLOAD P3
SKIRT Skirt
FOCUS 1
END
P1:proton_LV/P1
STATUS Landed Earth
POS 63.0423200 46.0353000
HEADING 0.00
ATTACHED 0:0,LC81
NAVFREQ 0 0
GUIDANCE
TYPE 1
PAYLOAD P2
INCLINATION 51.60
END
LC81:proton_LV\LC81
STATUS Landed Earth
POS 62.9869700 46.0708400
HEADING 210.11
NAVFREQ 0 0
END
kmlWriter:proton_LV/kmlWriter
STATUS Landed Earth
END
END_SHIPS

BEGIN_ExtMFD
END

Last edited:

Mrev95

Reaction score
It is the contents of a scenario file. Just create a new txt file in your scenarios-folder, change the extension to .scn, and copy-paste this text into it. Also, insure you have the Proton LV installed.

flyingkorolevR7

Vietcong Guerrilla
Reaction score
It is the contents of a scenario file. Just create a new txt file in your scenarios-folder, change the extension to .scn, and copy-paste this text into it. Also, insure you have the Proton LV installed.

so i create a new scenario file and paste it into it ?

Last edited: