News Germanwings Flight 4U9525 (Airbus A320) crash in Southern France (24 March 2015)

DeskOrbinaut

Reaction score
My friend just took off with a delay of 20 minutes. I'm following via Flightradar24. Kinda strange. They are flying the south-east departure heading towards Menorca. Looks like they are flying the route over the Alps, just above the crash site...

img20150328166wlp5g2v1n.jpg

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
My friend just took off with a delay of 20 minutes. I'm following via Flightradar24. Kinda strange. They are flying the south-east departure heading towards Menorca. Looks like they are flying the route over the Alps, just above the crash site...

Relax... the worst that can happen to your friend is me dropping nude from space through the airway of the plane....... :tiphat:

dman

Reaction score
Heard that European safety org now considering implimenting the 2 person rule in the
cockpit

At ALL times have to have at least 2 people on flight deck - if one of the pilots has to
hit the "facilities" need to get one of the flight attendents, that is if dont have another
pilot "dead heading" and in the cockpit.

DeskOrbinaut

Reaction score
Relax... the worst that can happen to your friend is me dropping nude from space through the airway of the plane....... :tiphat:

:lol:

I'm very relaxed ;) My confidence in Germanwings and Lufthansa is still undaunted. I would blindly take a seat and be rather relaxed.

I'm just curious if he will be able to see something from above. He doesn't know very much about aviation stuff, but I told him when to look and where to look (it also depends whether he is sitting on the left or right side of course). The crash site is located south east of Le Vernet. Looks like they're flying exactly the same route as the Air Berlin jet which just flies ahead and overflew the crash site a few minutes ago.

I'm also wondering whether the cockpit crew will announce something or not...

They reached FL 380 by the way.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
Just what I wrote on page 12: http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=500867&postcount=180

The doctor does not even have to know your job. You can go to any doctor you want to. You are obligated to report more or less serious medical issues (or a stay in the hospital if it exceeds 12 hours or a medical certificate if it exceeds 21 days) to your aviation medical examiner which could then question your airworthiness. But if you don't... nobody will know. There is only one medical examination every 12 months by an aviation medical examiner and that's it. It's very easy to cheat. You can change your family doctor like your underpants... (and there is a pharmacy every 5 meters in Germany)

Your phrasing is different from the news article that he didn't have to report it.

Bob Clark

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Staff Note: Thread Re-Opened. Lets keep in on topic about the crash itself, I have moved the cockpit door posts to their own thread as it was getting off topic. You can find that thread here.

Lets keep it civil as well please.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
It seems that my earlier prediction that the passengers would have known what was going on was right.

The Germanwings co-pilot suspected of deliberately crashing his plane into the Alps had disclosed an earlier bout of depression, Lufthansa has said.
The airline, which owns Germanwings, said last week that Andreas Lubitz had taken a break from flight school training, but refused to say why.
It has now shared emails from 2009 which show Lubitz told instructors he had suffered from "severe depression".

Meanwhile, all human remains from the crash have reportedly been recovered.

French authorities told AFP news agency that the remains of all the victims had been removed from the remote ravine where the plane went down, but mountain troops would return to the scene on Wednesday to search for personal belongings.

The search for the second flight recorder will also continue.
Also on Tuesday, German newspaper Bild and French news magazine Paris Match said they had obtained a video showing the plane's last moments before the crash.

The footage was shot on a mobile phone inside the plane, and recorded the sound of passengers screaming and the sound of a metal object striking the cockpit door, the newspapers said.

A recording from the cockpit of the aircraft suggests Lubitz, 27, deliberately caused the disaster last Tuesday, which killed 150 people.
Lufthansa CEO Carsten Spohr previously said that the company was not aware of anything that could have driven the co-pilot to crash the Airbus A320.

"He was 100% fit to fly without any restrictions or conditions," he told reporters.

It has now emerged, as part of the airline's internal research, that Lubitz had sent information about his depressive episode to the Lufthansa flight school in Bremen, when he resumed training after an interruption of several months.

He subsequently passed all medical tests and eventually secured his license. He started working with Lufthansa subsidiary Germanwings in 2013.

Emphasis mine, source and more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32138867

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also on Tuesday, German newspaper Bild and French news magazine Paris Match said they had obtained a video showing the plane's last moments before the crash.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32138867

Emphasis mine.

Sorry, but as long as the crash-certified FDR is missing and the remains of the victims still gathered, I doubt that some artefact from the crash site made it to a dubious German tabloid. Note that Bild claims that they got the video from somebody working for the investigation - if it would be true, it would be another breach of conduct for the French investigation.

The prosecution of Marseilles has denied that this video exists. They are still analysing the mobile phones of the passengers, but because of the very bad state of them, its nearly impossible.

Official news:

Lufthansa cancelled their 60th birthday celebration on 15th April. They will instead transmit the funeral service from the Cologne cathedral to their places so that all Lufthansa employees can take part.

The German prosecution has confirmed that the co-pilot told his employer Lufthansa about his severe depression in 2009. Lufthansa has given the prosecution medical reports, training protocols and archived email exchanges of the copilot during his pilot training.

dman

Reaction score
Been rough couple months for AIRBUS 320

First AIR ASIA QZ8501 crash into Java Sea

GERMAN WINGS 9525 into the French Alps

Then over the weekend AIR CANADA 624 made a "hard ;anding" (landed short and smashed into antenna) - looks like this one is write off

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Lufthansa even ordered a psychological examination of the co-pilot for re-entering pilot training in 2009, additionally to repeating the standard trainee test. He had a "SIC" remark in his training files, which means that he has chronic condition and requires additional regular medical checks.

But this remark did not appear in his pilot license.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Additionally, to the video claim by Bild above:

The German prosecution has issued a warrant for evidence to Bild and demand the video to be given to them. Should the video really exist, this will make it sure - but right now, Bild is reducing the claimed quality of its video with every question by the prosecution.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The French BAE has also already confirmed that the data module appears to be readable, despite having possibly some fire damage.

On the German end, it appears that the co-pilot had some diverging interests on his last days. Mostly he searched for treatment for his psychological problems on his PC, but he also spend a few minutes searching for suicide methods. Sounds like some strong changes in mood.