News Sukhoi Superjet (Aeroflot Flight 1492) crash-landed in Moscow with 41 fatalities

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I am surprised to find no thread about this one yet, it is one of the worst airliner accidents in Russia of the past years. Especially Aeroflot had no fatalities since 2008 (Aeroflot Flight 821).

A two year old Sukhoi Superjet 100 aircraft had to abort its flight to Murmansk after a climb to 9000 ft altitude, likely because of a lightning strike, landing very hard and seemingly with control problems after returning to Moscow.

The aircraft caught fire directly after the first hard impact, most victims likely died in the flaming inferno that starting in the aft of the aircraft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_1492

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Superjet_100

One contributing factor in the high number of victims was likely that passengers tried to rescue their hand luggage, slowing the evacuation that way.

While it would be easy to blame Russian technology for the accident, it should be remembered that most avionics of the aircraft are US products. Western sanctions against Russia could have been a possible cause there, but even that is rather unlikely, since most aircraft parts are not subject to the sanctions right now (but the threat exists, that is why Sukhoi tries to create a version of the Superjet using only domestic parts).

There are some complaints about the accident getting only 10 minutes of time in Russian TV news all together, with foreign politics dominating there right now.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Over here there seem to be a massive push to spin the "ones who took luggage are the murderers" narrative, with the sort of intensity that makes me think something is being hidden behind it.

Every discussion i've seen quickly derails into it.
-Pilot error, tried to force the plane to land? Passengers shouldn't have taken their bags, arm the flight attendants.
-Firefighters were late despite the early warning? Passengers shouldn't have taken their bags, make it a felony.
-Design flaws in the plane, no backup avionics? Passengers shouldn't have taken their bags, make the overhead bins lock in emergency.

The Distraction Engine is at full spin, and i'm not sure who and what from is it trying to distract.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The Distraction Engine is at full spin, and i'm not sure who and what from is it trying to distract.

I agree. Also, its very strange in general, how little about the accident and the number of victims is known so far. Its almost one day ago and we just got the first CCTV still images of the accident here.

Also, very little is known about the FBW system of the Superjet. It is just known that it exists (obviously, it has side sticks).

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, if you want videos here is the whole list from two internal videos to eyewitnesses and CCTV of the dead goat bounce on landing.

https://ru-chp.livejournal.com/tag/авиация

Preliminary investigation suggests that a lightning strike killed most onboard systems, including radios and autopilots. Since this plane don't have analog avionics that might have forced the pilots to fly by the seat of their pants.

FDR is badly burned and is being restored now, CVR is intact and read, no hints at content yet.

There are some complaints about the accident getting only 10 minutes of time in Russian TV news all together, with foreign politics dominating there right now.
Who was complaining, btw? It's all over the news here, TV and all.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Linguofreak

Reaction score
-Firefighters were late despite the early warning? Passengers shouldn't have taken their bags, make it a felony.

This doesn't actually seem too out of the ordinary: The trucks can't enter the runway until the plane is past them, and with three bounces on landing, it was likely traveling faster than for a normal landing at first ground contact, and obviously wasn't braking during the bounces, so they would have traveled considerably further down the runway.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Over here there seem to be a massive push to spin the "ones who took luggage are the murderers" narrative...

Unfortunately that is a part of the human firmware that we aren't getting rid of anytime soon. Panic makes people fall back onto old habits.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Unfortunately that is a part of the human firmware that we aren't getting rid of anytime soon. Panic makes people fall back onto old habits.

That is why you:

a) Train for emergencies to follow better habits then.
b) Train the cabin crew to break the habits of those, who follow dangerous habits then.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That is why you:

a) Train for emergencies to follow better habits then.
b) Train the cabin crew to break the habits of those, who follow dangerous habits then.

I suspect that option b) will have to do for now. I don't think passengers will do the training to the extent necessary to produce any significant results.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I suspect that option b) will have to do for now. I don't think passengers will do the training to the extent necessary to produce any significant results.

Of course. But then, it isn't that unlikely that a) can work too. Too often, the passengers of cruise ships handled accidents better than the crew.

If the regular aircraft passengers also have a good safety training, it could bring a big gain in safety, since they could lead and support other passengers.

And being in a situation that you assist elderly passengers, children or pregnant women into safety after an accident is way more realistic than taking over the pilots seat as passenger. :lol: