Question Gale crater and Mount Sharp.

Screamer7

Reaction score
I read a bit about Aeolis Mons aka Mount Sharp inside Gale crater.
They stated that the mountain was formed as erosion take away the sedimentary deposits inside the crater.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Moundshigh.jpg

What I do not understand is how water erosion can erode away the sedimentary deposits inside Gale crater to left a mountain several kilometers higher than the craters rim.
The sediment material must be carried away from the crater, but how is that possible when the crater has a natural barrier in the form of it's rim?
My logic says that all that material would pool inside the crater, level with the craters rim.
If anybody can enlight me with this theory, I will appreciate it.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Damn, thank you NASA, now the stupidity spreads. Its Aeolis Mons, not Mount Sharp. It would make navigation way more easier, if NASA (and ESA) would not rename things for political reasons.

Also, remember first of all, that this erosion hypothesis is just one explanation. In that the sedimentary layers are still deposited on the central impact peak. The other places simply saw more erosion than the layers on the central peak, which shaped water and wind erosion forces.

Finally it could also be something else, we have no geologic samples of the region, it simply looks like it is formed by erosion that way.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hopefully Curiosity will give us the answer ;)

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ars-at-odds-with-official-name/1#.UCvAi-7y9Ds

Why doesn't NASA just go ahead and secede from the IAU. Look I understand the guy made great contributions, and I'm sure he really was one of the best geologists this country has ever seen. So petition to rename a current mountain in the US after the guy, and lets stick to standards when it comes to off-world geologic features, ok? I'm with the IAU on this one.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
There is also already the crater Sharp on Mars, 250 km away from Gale AFAIR.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Maybe someone made the confusion, and after that, nobody wanted to say they made an error :blush: