Project G42-200 StarLiner

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
My worry was that air might catch in the gap between the fuselage and the intake, but you look like you've got it all planned out. :thumbup:

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
It's looking great so far.

:hailprobe:

theflyingfish

Falling with Style
Reaction score
I plan to name my first G42-200 the "Sausage". I said it first!

I am overjoyed to find the G42-200 is out of the speculation stage, and into the modeling stage! In celebration I shall shoot a Probe into the Moon with a HARP gun.

A Probe, not THE Probe.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
wow that looks unstable, wing chord so far behind the vessel? must have some pretty heavy kit at the back to balance the whole thing out

Yeah, yaw and pitch stability would obviously require heavy augmentation; on the other hand, the role should be relatively stable with the CM location and the moderate anhedral.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, yaw and pitch stability would obviously require heavy augmentation; on the other hand, the role should be relatively stable with the CM location and the moderate anhedral.

is this about the DG-ex Mk2 ? :huh:

ah well...
the G42-200 should be much easier to keep under control (as much as delta-wingers can, anyways)

but this is not a ship for the faint-hearted... without a healthy amount of patience and will to do things the right way, the G42 will kill you - or at least leave you half-way into orbit with an empty tank and a full load of embarrassment :lol:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
looking good for now, that will come together niceley methinks

cant wait to see the detail do into it, never mind the coding :D

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
let's see... new features added...

not looking so weiner-like anymore, i think...

picture.php

i have trimmed a bit of wingspan... subtle, but looks more mach-worthy :hmm:

and from below...
picture.php

notice the ramcaster intakes and exhausts... and don't mind the gaps between the wings and wingtips... that's where the pivot-shield fairing will be, so the wingtips can move up and down :thumbup:

i've thought of a few solutions to the RCS ports... leaving them open could prove an unwelcome liability in hypersonic flight... so that leaves me thinking of a way to pack secure them before going for mach-madness

the most obvious thing to do... RCS doors...
careful examining of the geometry of the nose gave me a good idea of how to pull that off...

but first... we gotta model that nose :rolleyes:

let me get back to that :thumbup:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
the old visor was good, but a little tweaking would be nice:

it should really fit exactly to the windshield and its surrounding panel, any exposed edge or face will be torn apart at mach 7 or so (leaving your self-respect in ruin) or at least ruin your aero-shockwave which could have devastating effects on re-entry heat loading and/or aerodynamics

which leads me to the front edge of that SCRAM intake thing, it can stil work, but the bit above it should be dragged forward to split the air before it hits a flat piece of hull, else you would find your SCRAM engine about 1000nm from your landing site

nice work though overall, that is sensational

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
which leads me to the front edge of that SCRAM intake thing, it can stil work, but the bit above it should be dragged forward to split the air before it hits a flat piece of hull, else you would find your SCRAM engine about 1000nm from your landing site
Can someone explain to me why so many people like to measure things in nanometres?

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
it wasnt nanometers, its nautical miles

and finding your scram engines so far away from your landing site means that you ripped it off quite early

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Like I said, I have my doubts about that gap...:lol:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
the old visor was good, but a little tweaking would be nice:

it should really fit exactly to the windshield and its surrounding panel, any exposed edge or face will be torn apart at mach 7 or so (leaving your self-respect in ruin) or at least ruin your aero-shockwave which could have devastating effects on re-entry heat loading and/or aerodynamics

nice work though overall, that is sensational

i've modelled the visor now, it's looking good (pics when i get the internal parts of it done as well) - and it moves pretty much as i expected... a little better actually - and much better than the -100 visor -
this one covers up all of the cockpit windows, and looks a lot more streamlined, for the whole nose was designed around it being extended, and not the other way around :lol:

i also found that it doesn't take up as much of the internal nose area as i antecipated, so i'll go as my brother said and have the canards extend forward, instead of backwards :cheers:

as for the ram inlets,. they're not completely modelled yet - which might be misleading, since the shock-flaps are missing there...

either way, the upper inlet does not bluntly connect to the nose section at any point - the fuselage blends into a nice wedge (which is really not clearly visible in either of those shots), so there really is a flow-splitter in there - worry not:thumbup:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
i guess i should leave you to it... after this question :p

how does the visor operate? will it be like a chunk of the nose sliding downwards, so when it is raised it looks like there is no visor, or will it be more like the 100 series' visor which seems like an afterthought that got bolted on after initial testing when the designers lost their self-dignity

i think it would be better as the first one, but it really depends on whether or not you think its best or not :p

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
First off, Its really coming together

Second, I don't know if you answered this already but...

What is the capacity/dimmensions of the cargo bay and how tall is the tail. (Both above the ground, and from the top of the fuselage).

Will she incorperat hover thrusters or will you be needing a lander for lunar missions (take a wild guess why I want to know how big the cargo bay is ;))

Last edited:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
you wont be taking this to the moon im afraid, its strictly LEO, maybe up to 500k orbital station at a push

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
going to the moon is indeed a bit of a stretch....

it could reach higher-than-low orbits depending on the payload and launch configuration (extra fuel, DART-powered launch)... not the moon tho...

your best bet, use a series of flights to stack up a trans-lunar vessel... much cheaper than an Apollo-like approach, and you might even be able to use the transfer craft again if desireable :rolleyes:

the '200 visor is a major redesign... actually, the whole nose is...
it's basically a two-section paneling above the nose - the aft part rotates down and forth, after which, the smaller forward section rotates down and aft, covering most of the gap between the cone fairing and the cockpit...

looks better in 3d... i'd show it, but it's not done still... real life keeps getting in the way :hmm: