OHM Falcon9 for Orbiter2016

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Great work. I like the on screen commands, it's a simple and effective interface.
:probe:
Thanks. The Control Panel is a bit primitive, but its the best I can do - and better than trying to cram everything on the HUD.

Cheers,
Brian

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
The panel is OK and does it's job!

But I was talking about the HUD keys, those are great and really handy.
Feels like you are flight director and flowing the launch using an on-board camera. :cheers:

Marijn

Reaction score
Hi Brian,
During the weekend, I did many test-launches with the FH. I made a small 2K payload cfg file to represent the Roadster. I noticed that the total mass of the satellite is always 2000kg extra on top of the amount in the cfg file. So I put it to 0KG to end up with 2000KG. Can you explain why this is?

And regarding EDL ONLY landings: Am I right that I need to position the ASDS using the scenario editor to position it at the estimated location as indicated on the launch panel? I haven't been able to do succesful EDL ONLY landing, even when ending up quite close to the ASDS.

I noticed a few minor things which might require your attention:

-The shadows of the cores during landing are not visible when the pass over the landing pad and/or ASDS. They seem to go under.
-When looking back using the E key on the 2nd stage, exhaust flames are not visible. They are visible from the external view.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The panel is OK and does it's job!

But I was talking about the HUD keys, those are great and really handy.
Feels like you are flight director and flowing the launch using an on-board camera. :cheers:
Ah, right! Yes, I figured there was still a use for HUD info and some shortcut commands.

I noticed that the total mass of the satellite is always 2000kg extra on top of the amount in the cfg file. So I put it to 0KG to end up with 2000KG. Can you explain why this is?
At a guess, propellant mass of your payload. Falcon(9/Heavy) should add only the total mass of any attached payload.

And regarding EDL ONLY landings: Am I right that I need to position the ASDS using the scenario editor to position it at the estimated location as indicated on the launch panel? I haven't been able to do succesful EDL ONLY landing, even when ending up quite close to the ASDS.
Yes, but the estimated position is not entirely reliable - it's an approximate analytical function, to get a more accurate solution I think I'd need to do a numerical-step function to simulate the simulation before you launch! (another 6 months work probably).

EDL-Only flight profile is the the most difficult to get right, in terms of ASDS position and reentry/landing burn, for various reasons (high velocity, long range, shallow approach angle, restricted fuel reserve).

Having said that, I've launched a 2000kg sat on the FalconHeavy with the Centre booster set for EDL-Only to ASDS, Port/Starboard boosters Flyback-EDL to LZ's, -29deg inclination, 200km parking orbit, and it worked ok (although the MaxQ on the way down is quite nasty).

What were your launch parameters and ASDS pos?

-The shadows of the cores during landing are not visible when the pass over the landing pad and/or ASDS. They seem to go under.
-When looking back using the E key on the 2nd stage, exhaust flames are not visible. They are visible from the external view.
Not much I can do about that, just the way Orbiter rendering works. Vessels don't shadow other vessels. Engine exhaust is visible from cockpit sometimes - sometimes not.

Cheers,
Brian

pappy2

Reaction score
I'll try and do something for the next update. Looks like a new interstage section and landing gear in that pic.

Hello everyone,
concerning the body of the Falcon9 CRS-13 on the images have distinguished well the traces of soot from the previous flight (CRS-11).
The landing legs are new so white, and the vertical white "features" are actually the cleaning of the welds for safety inspections.

EDIT:
And now : Falcon9 SES-16 GovSat-1

Last edited:

Marijn

Reaction score
Hi Brian,
On my last flight all three cores landed using EDL ONLY. So the estimations are reliable it seems. I must have done something wrong the other time. Thanks for answering questions quickly.

pappy2

Reaction score
Hello Brian :hailprobe:

After the success of SpaceX to recover the caps of the FalconX,
it will be necessary that you update your Addon !! :thumbup:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfgRX-lgIt6/

Thanks again for your great work. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes. I think SpaceX are doing this just to keep me busy making Orbiter add-ons :)
A self-guided parafoil is quite an interesting problem, especially with wind effects.
Here's a .pdf about it....
https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/view....co.uk/&httpsredir=1&article=1629&context=etd

I edited the 1st stage mesh to use the "charred" texture (I'll make it configurable from the .cfg file in future). Looks alright....
f9_paz1.jpg
Think I found a bug with the Lift-off timer too (T-00:00:60 ??) Need to check that.

Cheers,
BrianJ

Marijn

Reaction score
Think I found a bug with the Lift-off timer too (T-00:00:60 ??) Need to check that.

I was wondering about that timer. I didn't think it was a bug. There seems to be no second missing or counted twice.
It counts down like:
1:01
0:60
0:59

0:60 should be 1:00

Last edited:

perseus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for your work, BrianJ

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
SpaceX Fairing Recovery Vessel "MR STEVEN" is almost ready for deployment.
Just need some autonomously guided fairings for it to catch.
mrsteven_screenie.jpg

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A couple more development screenies.....

Falcon9 fairings complete with RCS, Parafoils and basic guidance, on their way down...
fair1_screenie.jpg

This one's in the net, 50% success rate so far...
inthenet.jpg

Needs a bit more work on the parafoil final approach, and I'm way off estimating the FRV(Fairing Recovery Vessel) position but I might put a version up on OH soon :)

Cheers,
Brian

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
A couple more development screenies.....

Falcon9 fairings complete with RCS, Parafoils and basic guidance, on their way down...
View attachment 15679

This one's in the net, 50% success rate so far...
View attachment 15680

Needs a bit more work on the parafoil final approach, and I'm way off estimating the FRV(Fairing Recovery Vessel) position but I might put a version up on OH soon :)

Cheers,
Brian

Amazing work !!!

Marijn

Reaction score
Looking good.

The recent picture of the floating fairing really amazed me. It looks exactly like a ship. That makes me wonder: Couldn't they just add a system so it could sail home on the winds? Close the back side, raise a (carbon) peroscopic mast, drop a sail and have a simple GPS system sail it home? That would reduce launching costs. Most sailing ships aren't as expensive as a fairing..

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Amazing work !!!
Thanks Don :)

Looking good.

The recent picture of the floating fairing really amazed me. It looks exactly like a ship. That makes me wonder: Couldn't they just add a system so it could sail home on the winds? Close the back side, raise a (carbon) peroscopic mast, drop a sail and have a simple GPS system sail it home? That would reduce launching costs. Most sailing ships aren't as expensive as a fairing..
Why not? Use the parafoil as the sail. Though I think the general consensus is: seawater is no good for rocket parts.

Anyway, I've had much fun making the Mr.Steven model and trying out some parafoil guidance algorithm ideas(you need a bit of data about wind at the landing target zone, otherwise it gets tough).

Latest version is up on Orbit-Hangar
Version 180321:
Added Recoverable Fairings and FRV(Fairing Recovery Vessel).
Added FRV to scenarios(where applicable).
Added Config file options for "Used" Booster Skin; Disable Fairing Recovery.
Fixed "Countdown Timer" bug.

Known bug: Estimated FRV Position value is not much good for anything except going to 200km parking orbit - needs more work.

After the 1st stage has landed, it's quite fun watching the fairings coming back to the FRV.

Cheers,
Brian

vchamp

Reaction score
Now we only need a recoverable second stage to get a fully reusable launcher even if only in Orbiter. It would be fun to assemble a new launcher from the used components in the same scenario.
Great work on fairing parafoils and FRV!