FaceTrackNoIR as a free view system

vchamp

Reaction score
Thank you, Ripley, for the information. This app worked very well for me and it's very useful.

In certain situations, like landing, the slightly shaky view is not good. I wonder if it is possible to turn the TrackIR usage on and off during a simulation. A dedicated add-on would come in handy, if it is not possible with the stock Orbiter.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Thank you, Ripley, for the information...
You're welcome, vchamp.

In certain situations, like landing, the slightly shaky view is not good. I wonder if it is possible to turn the TrackIR usage on and off during a simulation. A dedicated add-on would come in handy, if it is not possible with the stock Orbiter.

It looks like you're not the only one with this problem.
From FreeFalcon forum, V4Friend (FTNOIR maker) says:
We're working on update 5 at the moment. It will contain...a 'brand new' EWMA-filter. It should enable you to keep your 'in-game' head more stable, to allow clicking buttons and switches etc...

Zilesio

Reaction score
Good, hopefully update 5 will come in soon,

in the meantime it's still pretty exciting to use it on the XR1 the way it is, personally when I see troubles I just switch to 2d panel and hit home to get back in control of things

what would be most popular settings at this stage, guys?

also, my laptop built-in camera tends to loose track of my face if lighting isn't strong, I don't complain but just wonder if there's any way to sort of "force" FTNOIR to see my face again... maybe getting closer to the camera? add lighting? eyes and mouth wide open? any suggestions?

vchamp

Reaction score
maybe getting closer to the camera? add lighting? eyes and mouth wide open?
I imagine someone trying to attract camera's attention this way :lol:
Maybe changing a brightness setting of a camera could help. It seems that it was easier for the program to catch my face when I did that. I had problems with this only when it was almost completely dark. Having a dim daylight through the curtains was enough for good tracking.

Zilesio

Reaction score
thanks for the advice, vchamp ;) I'll test it asap!
Also thank you for adding me on icq (^^)b

Ripley, I just downloaded the v150 update but can I just put on top the 140 or should I reinstall 130 clean and then put the 150 update on top of that?

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
...Ripley, I just downloaded the v150 update but can I just put on top the 140 or should I reinstall 130 clean and then put the 150 update on top of that?
I don't know, as I don't personally use it.
I would follow FTNOIR webpage advice:
Update v150 was alpha-tested by a number of users and is now released as beta. For new users: the full version v130 must be installed first. Update 5 can be installed directly 'on top of' v130.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
A little bug was found in latest 150 version.
There's an update available at
http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/information_links/download.htm

Fix for EWMA-filter:

It might be one of Murphy's Laws: 'New features will give new bugs. The problems will only occur occasionally, only to the nicest people'. With the help of Paul, we managed to track and kill the little bugger...

The new filter in update v150 contains a little bug, which may cause the view to 'flash'. The download is a replacement of the filter-DLL. Extract it to the installation-folder of FaceTrackNoIR and overwrite the old one...

ProAuroraX

Resident Insane Person
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi i downloaded this and installed everything correctly. when i run this i get "No DLLs were found in the WaterFall Procedure" and "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)." any ideas? i have a windows 7 HP G62 notebook pc with a built in webcam.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Hi i downloaded this and installed everything correctly. when i run this i get "No DLLs were found in the WaterFall Procedure" and "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)." any ideas? i have a windows 7 HP G62 notebook pc with a built in webcam.

My first idea was to check one of their forums. Pretty obvious, I know.
So I was really surprised when there was a thread with a title describing exactly your problem!
Upon reading the thread I went into a facepalm loop :facepalm:

Your problem is detailed on their KNOWN ISSUES page which resides within the manual and is easily found by google.

I am sure you agree that you deserve one of those:
4f1c2f63-d7dc-43c6-ae45-5d703cbc79da.jpg

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
From http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/news/news.htm

2011-10-26: progress of update 6

For update 6, a number of improvements are on our 'ToDo' list. We are working hard to get things done, but the official release of the update will take some time. Meanwhile, our serious donators will receive an alpha-version of update 6, to show our appreciation (and to 'serve' as alpha-testers, of course...).

The following improvements have already been implemented:

Upgrade to the newest version of faceAPI, version 3.2.6. It was quite difficult to get this version working with FaceTrackNoIR, because the Qt-implementation of faceAPI was changed. Version 3.2.6. of faceAPI contains a number of improvements, among which:
Support for newer CPU-types;
Internal filtering, especially the X and Y rotations are more stable;
Improved web-cam support;
For a complete list, please consult the release notes for faceAPI 3.2.6.;
Fixed a minor bug concerning the 'center' behaviour on startup;
Moved all protocols to their own separate DLL. This reduces the size of the .EXE, makes the code more 'modular' and makes future expansions easier to implement.
Started work on 'Axis Reverse'. It is being tested, but some tweaking is certainly required.
A 'mouse look' interface was implemented. All programs that don't support any of the other protocols, but do have 'mouse look', can benefit from this...
Have tried FaceTrackNoIR with the 'Visage SDK'. It can work, but there are still a few bumps to solve. This will not be part of the 1.6 update...

We are aiming to release update 1.6 in November (2011 that is...).

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I used Rtyh-12's Q+A to try to get FTNOIR working on the DG's VC, but head movements are not counted and the "Game Protocol" box in the FaceTrackNoIR is grayed out.

Any way to 'un-gray' it?

EDIT: Disregard, I found the way.

Last edited:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Version 1.60 has been released.

http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/information_links/download.htm

Update 6 has been released as beta and can be downloaded here. Actually, we have chosen to release this version as a full-version. Users with new CPU's (like i5 and i7) should not experience 'IPP-errors' any more, when this full installer is used.

CAUTION: when you have tried version 1.5 and did get 'IPP-errors', you MUST un-install the Intel IPP-runtime, before installing v160 (otherwise, the IPP-problem will remain!). Un-installing can be done, via Control Panel/Software.

Last edited:

marcheenek

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I installed the latest (1.6) version of FaceTrackNoIR and I'm really happy with its performance in FSX. However, it doesn't work for Orbiter - nothing happens. It's been mentioned in this topic to install faceAPI demo - what for? Should those programs be running in parallel while playing Orbiter?
While I find head tracking a necessity for FSX, I could live without it for Orbiter, but there are few ships it would be just fun to have it.... Arrow, G42, XR2

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
This thread caught my eye. I've seen the TrackIR module in Orbiter all this time, but have never bothered trying to make it work. Until now.

Per the directions in this thread, I've downloaded and installed faceAPI, I've downloaded and installed FaceTrackNoir, I've set the Game Protocol to Face TrackIR:

teDm4.jpg

And finally, I've enabled the TrackIR module in Orbiter:

DTrt0.jpg

...and have gone through the settings in the Extra parameters:

J5JUX.jpg

Now, when I start Orbiter and select a Virtual Cockpit (I've tried the default DG and the XR2), I don't get any movement when I look around.

I've tried shutting down and restarting Orbiter multiple times, and I even rebooted just to make sure all the "stuff" was fresh.

Any thoughts on what I'm missing?

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Did you download the latest 1.60 "full" version?
Their website is a bit unmantained.

Yes you have. I saw your screenshots...

Last edited: