FaceTrackNoIR as a free view system

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Sorry for necro, but a new beta of FTNOIR 1.7.0 is available.
Many changes, which you can read here:

Update to v170 beta released!

The update from v160 to v170 was tested by a number of users and is now released 'for all to try'. For most people, this version will be a big improvement, so please don't hesitate to try it: it's good!

v170 Is available as update from v160 (for those who already have it running) and as full-installer (for new users). The installers were made with INNO-setup and we would also like feedback on their 'performance'.

Since it is clear to us that adding new features must be easy, we have adapted the core of FaceTrackNoIR, so that a new head-tracker, filter or game-protocol can just be 'dropped' in the installation-folder and then used.

A second big change is the GUI of the curve-configurator. In v170 creating the curves for the calculations for input (head-movement) to output (in-game movement) is easier and more flexible.

Version v170 has a number of big improvements. compared to v160:

- An alternative filter (called Accela, made by Stanislaw) for the EWMA2. This is a big improvement indeed;
- A game-protocol using VJoy, which is an alternative for PPJoy. VJoy was upgraded for this and has driver-signing for W7; Unfortunately, it does not work with W8 (yet).
- An Inertial Head Tracker called AIC-IHT, using accelleration, magnetic and gyro-sensors as source for pitch, roll and yaw. This is still in the prototyping phase, but has big potential. It eliminates all need for light and eliminates problems with darkness and bad lighting;
- An IR-based tracker like the one FreeTrack is using, called PointTracker (by Patrick);
- Mouse-keys can be used for 'short-keys' like 'center' and 'start/stop';
- The old FreeTrack and fake-Track protocols were both replaced by one new protocol: FreeTrack 2.0. This protocol supports all games that are FreeTrack-enabled or TrackIR-enabled. This includes all 64-bit versions (like X-plane 10 and DCS A-10C) and all previously 'difficult' titles (like Dirt, MS-Flight). No need for game-fixers or anything like that... The full list of compatible games is listed here. Please notify us, if you want your callsign added to the list.

http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/information_links/download.htm

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Another necro, but:

the latest FTNOIR version (1.80 Alpha1) supports the new PointTracker plugin.

From http://ftnoirpt.sourceforge.net/

PointTracker is a plugin for the free head tracking software FaceTrackNoIR which introduces the capability to track a (typically IR-) point model comprising 3 bright points to FaceTrackNoIR, much like the popular free tracking software Freetrack does.
It was created as a stable modular alternative to Freetrack, which has some stability issues with newer systems and seems to be no longer actively developped.

From FTNOIR News:

The first new feature implemented after v170 is now being tested in the alpha 1 version of v180. The DirectX input-handling has been changed and an important feature added: joystick support.

This version will be sent to donors of FaceTrackNoIR, so they can test it.
Some things are currently under development and/or will be released soon:
- The Visage Tracker;
- The new version of PointTracker (can already be downloaded from here Thanks to Patrick);

We are fiddling with devices like the Vuzix Wrap 1200VR and the Oculus Rift too. However, these devices still have their "childhood diseases" and need to grow mature...

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Tried out FaceTrackNoIR again. Still not very smooth compared to TrackIR--not really a good replacement yet IMO.

Skookum

Reaction score
Under "Tracker Source", "Face API" settings, I found that if I set internal filtering to none, there is way less lag time between face movements and screen movements.

Then I adjust the curves to give me the movement I like.

I like FaceTrackNoIR a lot.

Antoo

Reaction score
Hi, in Extra/TrackIr Configuration/Diagnostic, It is written "TrackIr Module Version : Not active", so in the sim, nothing happens.

Do I need to downloade any trackIr module? I Use FaceTrackNoIR.
Thank you.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Quite some time has passed since I last checked, and FTNOIR v 2.00 has just been released:

The upgrade of FaceTrackNoIR was finally finished and the new version released. It contains the next improvements compared to v170:

Joystick support;
CSV-protocol: a protocol that writes output-data to a file;
New trackers, namely:
Oculus Rift;
Visage facetracker (still in development, a new version of the Visage API was just released);
Tobii EyeX support (also still in development, but looks promising already);
HAT-tracker, which implements a serial interface for devices like Arduino or Raspberry;
Separate curves for left-yaw and right-yaw;
gazePoint-support for eye-trackers;
Secondary protocol: this enables you to use (for example) two VJoy instances or use the CSV-protocol to record output-values to file;
Improvements for the PointTracker;
all tested on W7 and W10;

Orbiter 2010 and 2016 are missing from the compatibility list, so have a go at it (those who can)!
http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/compatibility/games.htm

I'm reading about the new plugin, and it looks loke it works very well:
http://ftnoirpt.sourceforge.net/

Last edited: