Whenever I exit Orbiter and want to re-run it again I always get this error
"Another orbiter applications is already running"
I then have to restart my computer to load Orbiter again
Any help greatfull accepted
Thanks

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Orbiter after closing simulation window should redisplay its launchpad if you haven't changed the shutdown option. Isn't it displaying it for you?

Is it a clean installation or add-on heavy?

Is it always this way or only when you use specific add-ons? What add-ons?

Did you try to terminate orbiter.exe process in task manager instead of restarting the system?

Did you try changing the Orbiter shutdown option in Extra tab, Debugging category to "Respawn Orbiter process" or "Terminate Orbiter process" to check if it helps your case?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I've only had this issue myself once but I have found that orbiter will occasionally CTD if it's launched again without exiting launchpad completely.

"Terminate Orbiter process" to check if it helps your case?

I made the above change and haven't seen a problem since. I think it's best to quit completely out of orbiter after a session to clear down the memory and have things in a good state for the next session.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
I made the above change and haven't seen a problem since. I think it's best to quit completely out of orbiter after a session to clear down the memory and have things in a good state for the next session.

Although I would still like to hear about occurrences of this problem, provided it can be reproduced without 3rd party modules.

I would also urge module developers to test their addons with the "deallocate and return to launchpad" option enabled, and making sure that repeated scenario launches from the same orbiter process don't cause crashes. This is a good way to spot problems related to module cleanup.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have seen that to happen a few times but it's very rare. Do you use LUA ?

jthill

Reaction score
Just a note, I've found that it's noticeably faster to set terminate-on-shutdown and restart from an icon on the desktop.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Although I would still like to hear about occurrences of this problem, provided it can be reproduced without 3rd party modules.

I've never had this happen with a clean install, only once I've got a few dozen addons working together. My rolling scenario is quite large!

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Just a note, I've found that it's noticeably faster to set terminate-on-shutdown and restart from an icon on the desktop.
Yes it's faster, but it's cheating ;)
As martin said: Add-on develpoers should always make sure their code (add-ons) de-allocate correct.
See it as a quality-attribute of an add-on when it behaves well with the "de-allocate .." setting on.
For a user of an add-on that do not, this "terminate-on-shutdown feature" is a kind of last resort, though.
/Kuddel

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
I've occasionally had this problem myself (add-on heavy install). Ctrl-Alt-Del to task manager and closing Orbiter from there seems like it would work better than re-booting