Gaming Dwarf Fortress discussion

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What do you think would be the best thing to add into the next update (if it will be possible)?

I want the dwarven economy back!

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
What do you think would be the best thing to add into the next update (if it will be possible)?

This is Dwarf Fortress. ANYTHING is possible ;)

I second Urwumpe's request, it would be great to have the economy back. I've never played with it, but it certainly sounds very interesting.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are still a few Orbinauts playing. The other day I lost a fortress of 76 to the most commonly forgotten beast: Dwarven Stupidity. The entire population ended up attempting to swim up an artificial waterfall because for some reason no one wanted to take the perfectly safe and dry route ten paces to the north. By the time I discovered the waves of drowning and head-bashing deaths it was already too late for traffic designations to change anything: the remaining dwarves had already entered a mad scramble to reclaim the +Yak Cow Leather Pants+ the Suicide Brigade had left behind. :facepalm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
my current fortress is capital of the civilization, running pretty well, but the King is dead... the vampire king died ignoring the Yellow Alert (all dwarfs inside, all gates closed) gathering too many goblin arrows to survive. His son is miner, but currently imprisoned for 1000 days and awaiting 200 Hammer strikes for 10 murders attributed to him.

There are a few minor annoying bugs still, like traps blocking wagons, but that is tolerable.

I have lots of steel and good smiths in my fortress, some weapon artifacts and some legendary dwarfs already. Dwarf stupidity did not yet take over. The military training program runs great, but I need to reorganize, one melee squad will be reserved for mothers with babys - I had to kill a good hammerdwarf because she lost her baby while fighting with it and went berserk shortly after.

Gumok

Reaction score
Someone knows if dwarves can built ships? If not, wouldn't be that possible with pumps and wooden board attached to it?

When we are talking about bugs, suicides should be more realistic. I heard that when some dwarf kill himself, it's possible that other dwarves will be so downhearted that they can kill themselves too and so on. As a result is fun (losing the whole fortress).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Someone knows if dwarves can built ships? If not, wouldn't be that possible with pumps and wooden board attached to it?

Not yet, at least not of the moving type.

When we are talking about bugs, suicides should be more realistic. I heard that when some dwarf kill himself, it's possible that other dwarves will be so downhearted that they can kill themselves too and so on. As a result is fun (losing the whole fortress).

Dwarfs are no humans. Also what is more realistic than drowning yourself in the well? :lol:

APDAF

Reaction score
Drinking themselves to death?

Oh wait there Dwarfs. Um? :embarrassed:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I had to kill a good hammerdwarf because she lost her baby while fighting with it and went berserk shortly after.

I saw a screeny once of a wardog giving birth during battle. Her litter immediately joined the fray :lol:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I did some of the tutorial the other day. But when I saved to continue later, it turns out there is nothing in the save folder... :(
So I may jump right into the latest version of DF.

APDAF

Reaction score
Do you have any tips for a newbe?

Thank you in advance.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Do you have any tips for a newbe?

Thank you in advance.

1. Relax.
2. The wiki is cheating, but sometimes helpful.
3. Booze and Food is what you need first, in that order.
4. Establish a well ASAP, because injured dwarfs have to stay sober.
5. Stay away from aquifers.
6. Walls stop all invaders, furniture like doors, floodgates and bridges only the weak.
7. Examine which resources you have available and specialize your castle. Produce what you can produce the best, and trade for the rest.
8. Marksdwarfs are cowards, but effective cowards. (Especially if you make your hunters a militia of marksdwarfs)

Last edited:

APDAF

Reaction score
I already knew the first five but thanks anyway.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I already knew the first five but thanks anyway.

Well, what else do you need to know then? :tiphat:

I still need to relearn it quite a bit, the latest changes that the chance for a stone does no longer depend on the skill of the miner changed my usual economics a lot. The good thing is, now I have more metal than I can handle. :lol: Many silver and copper crafts, and many many copper doors... but my dwarfs like it. Also I have already some really fine steel breastplates for my soldiers, which really annoys the gobbos.

Last edited:

APDAF

Reaction score
The UI is confusing and all of the controls don't help.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The UI is confusing and all of the controls don't help.

The UI is not that confusing, it just takes a moment of meditation (See 1.) to understand. You can't see all relations between the various concepts intuitively - but then, where can you do that at all?

That burrows is a major aspect for military alerts or population management is easily overlooked. Same with the manager and job management. The new hauling screen takes a moment to understand, but then it makes perfectly sense.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It may be 'cheating,' but I find the utility Dwarf Therapist essential for beginner or intermediate users (or advanced users who don't want to waste time going through dozens of immigrants individually, drafting the useless and reassigning the somewhat-promising.)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It may be 'cheating,' but I find the utility Dwarf Therapist essential for beginner or intermediate users (or advanced users who don't want to waste time going through dozens of immigrants individually, drafting the useless and reassigning the somewhat-promising.)

Well, I currently have my squads full, that makes the need for DT low.

But I currently only use a Militia approach, that also helps me:

• 1st Squad: Captain of the Guard, Melee
  • 2nd Squad: Marksdwarfs
  • 3rd Squad: Melee, Mothers
  • 4th Squad: Wrestlers, Peasants
All except the 4th squad are on training every 3 months and off-duty for the other two months. Training times rotate.

The 4th squad is the cadet cadre. All Peasants or grown-up Children are put there, training is every other month, no equipment needed. When a position in the other squads get free, somebody from the 4th Squad is preferred.

I plan a 5th & 6th squad purely for mothers, one for melee, one for marksdwarfs, which then would be used much more defensively on alerts. I could then also start making a standing army.

But currently, I lack the candidates for such an growth, I have too many civilians without any combat talents. I could draft them into the training cadres, but most are not passing through my assessment: Too soft. When the cadet cadre is full, I will start making a new squad.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I jumped into it not expecting to make much progress.
Then I realized the time. I got sucked into the game completely. :p Figuring out things as I go has been...interesting. I keep expecting it to suddenly tell me about something I didn't do and cause "fun". And I'm still perplexed by a lot of the warnings I'm getting. (cancelling actions for lack of resource, etc.) I know I'm missing some vital skills but I just doubled my population with migrants so maybe that will change. So far everyone is surviving, a loss of only two horses, and a baby was born. The most excitement was a thief. And my broker was too busy fishing and drinking to trade with elves. There was one party but it was surprisingly short. I have one legendary miner.
EDIT: Gah! Already more migrants!

---------- Post added 07-04-12 at 02:53 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-03-12 at 08:46 PM ----------

Played many more hours. A thirteen year old girl just became a legendary bone carver. It was a little creepy seeing this secretive child sketch skeletons then go out to the butcher and take some bones downstairs as her info reads "A child does as it pleases!".
My earlier strange mood dwarf went berserk and killed a cook. (prompting me to start a tiny military squad) I'm glad this child had much simpler demands!

Last edited:

Tommy

Reaction score
I find dfhack quite useful - only for the "digv" command. Is it really that hard to pretend that a miner could be told to dig out a vein, without having to micromanage him every step of the way?

Showmood can be handy too - when you can't decipher what exactly that moody dwarf wants.