Idea Docking/Undocking Sound Variability

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
I just thought of something that would be pretty awesome, and relatively simple to do:
When I dock to ISS, or another ship, i always get the SAME sound, the SAME voice, the SAME thing. How about there be an add-on that would mix and match 5-10 REAL ones (how ever many we can find), and some "home made" ones, and use some software to make it sound like radio chatter.

What would also be kind of neat is if there could be "custom" sounds for certain ships. Like, if I dock with ISS, I will get a sound custom to ISS (like an actual recording). If I dock to, lets say, an XR2, I would get a "home made" one that would be for the XR2.

Something like this could IMMENSELY increase the immersion

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think this might require rewriting the Orbitersound programming capabilities. nor sure if dan has time as he is working on FSPassengers right now and feeding his kids. You might gave him a holler at his web forum and ask him about that. Hope for the Best

Zack

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
No rewrite necessary. This ability has been standard for a while now.

From the readme:

those sound are the one played when you dock or undock any vessel or station
if one is missing it will play the defaut docking_radio.wav and undocking_radio.wav in vessel's directory.

name format is:

[vessel name]_docking_radio.wav
[vessel name]_undocking_radio.wav

Feel free to make better sound than mine (just done for test) and send
them to me so I can put them in this archive.

Dan
Docking/undocking sounds are to be put in the Sound\docking_sound folder.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
What would also be kind of neat is if there could be "custom" sounds for certain ships. Like, if I dock with ISS, I will get a sound custom to ISS (like an actual recording). If I dock to, lets say, an XR2, I would get a "home made" one that would be for the XR2.

Actually, each XR vessel already has custom voice callouts that play whenever you dock or undock (these XR callouts play immediately before the default OrbiterSound callouts). You can replace the following callout files as desired:

Code:
Sound\XR2Ravenstar\Contact.wav
Sound\XR2Ravenstar\Undocking Confirmed.wav

Sound\DG-XR1\Contact.wav
Sound\DG-XR1\Undocking Confirmed.wav

Sound\XR5Vanguard\Contact.wav
Sound\XR5Vanguard\Undocking Confirmed.wav

You could also delete any or all of those files if you don't want those callouts to play, and so then only the default OrbiterSound callouts would play.