Software STS 2016 payload addons make it CTD

Eddie C.

Reaction score
My son just got bored with the default scenarios, so I just installed for him the full package of STS 2016 (including all required addons for launches & payloads, in the given order, respecting earth.cfg from SF as a no-go, etc.), but it CTD just before (any) scenario launch (even the first tweets of sound can be heard before CTD). No errors on logs. Same happens if I try to open a non-related scenario, for example the Orbiter Sound 5.0 demo videos scenarios.

I have, subsequently, made a separate Orbiter 2016 installation (on another disk partition) and I installed ONLY the core STS 2016 and the 3 required addons: Sound, D3D9 and Multistage. Launched it via _ng and everything works OK, of course, bar any payload related scenarios.
Same Modules selected at start, same video settings.

Are there any possible explanations/reasons for such behaviour? I know that it might be a trial-and-error enterprise, but some leads would be helpful. Thanks!

moonheart

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is that there may be a conflict with another addon. Sometimes the MFD selections you have can cause conflicts as well - the STS 2016 will not need all of them you have installed. Your second install is probably the best route to go - I have 4 separate installs for different major addons and find I have very few CTDs.

Eddie C.

Reaction score
Post ur log
Made it run, finally. And since you have developed it ... great job!
1705088659776.png
Indeed, as @moonheart mentioned above (thanks for the tip!) there was some conflict with the various MFDs installed through the SF (and possibly with previous MFDs Basesync and Glideslope). Once those have been deselected everything went on normally.
BTW, I have skipped installation of step 06 (LC39A-B HD addon), since I've seen this is only a visual enhancement of pads. For some reason this add-on has erased my terrain features leaving Earth a featureless surface (see also in above screenshot), except runways and buildings at KSC.

Eddie C.

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is that there may be a conflict with another addon. Sometimes the MFD selections you have can cause conflicts as well - the STS 2016 will not need all of them you have installed. Your second install is probably the best route to go - I have 4 separate installs for different major addons and find I have very few CTDs.
MFDs were the culprits. Thanks once again!

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Made it run, finally. And since you have developed it ... great job!
View attachment 36400
Indeed, as @moonheart mentioned above (thanks for the tip!) there was some conflict with the various MFDs installed through the SF (and possibly with previous MFDs Basesync and Glideslope). Once those have been deselected everything went on normally.
BTW, I have skipped installation of step 06 (LC39A-B HD addon), since I've seen this is only a visual enhancement of pads. For some reason this add-on has erased my terrain features leaving Earth a featureless surface (see also in above screenshot), except runways and buildings at KSC.
Thanks. Yes it gives hi-def pads. Check the cfg file

barrygolden

Reaction score
You will have to reinstall the base Orbiter 2016 to get the surface terrain back . It is super to watch the Earth go by while your in Orbit. NASA had this thing call 3D world where you could track the Shuttle over the earth in real time and that is what lead me to find this Orbiter years ago.
Gattis has done a super job to get a lot of these STS missions to fly .. Sadly there was an MFD called auto STS I think and had an auto land feature that was awesome , great way to watch a deorbit and landing.

moonheart

Reaction score
I think that all you might need is the original Earth cfg file, not the whole original install. I keep an original Orbiter setup on a backup drive just in case I need to reinstall something.

Eddie C.

Reaction score
I think that all you might need is the original Earth cfg file, not the whole original install. I keep an original Orbiter setup on a backup drive just in case I need to reinstall something.
Yep, it worked. I have backed-up the earth.cfg (from base install), so it was useful. Thanks.

Eddie C.

Reaction score
You will have to reinstall the base Orbiter 2016 to get the surface terrain back . It is super to watch the Earth go by while your in Orbit. NASA had this thing call 3D world where you could track the Shuttle over the earth in real time and that is what lead me to find this Orbiter years ago.
Gattis has done a super job to get a lot of these STS missions to fly .. Sadly there was an MFD called auto STS I think and had an auto land feature that was awesome , great way to watch a deorbit and landing.
Hi. Are you referring to the old AutoFCS? It was a great piece of work. I am still keeping an old 2010P1 with Shuttle Fleet, just to enjoy this "hands free" de-orbit, re-entry and landing. For 2016 it is not working and I am not sure if the code is still available somewhere for some "reverse engineering".