Gaming Digital Combat Simulator Thread

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
They reduced the Mig21-bis once more to $25.
Got it :thumbup:

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
Hey guys. I just thought I would put in some info...

I use Lock On Modern Combat Flight Simulator, but it looks like you guys all use a newer, more adaptable version. Is the helicopter option the new version? Obviously doing some dogfights, but also some simulator testing with the ALASA DARPA mission concept. Using it, I have a bit of experience in A-10, F-15C, Mig-29, Su-25, and Su-33. What I wish I could fly was an F-16, but Lock On doesn't support it.

Last edited:

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi Astro SG Wise,
DCS can ne seen as a Lock On successor.
In the Flaming Cliffs 3 module are the most airplanes from Lock On, but the simulation of this modules is not so detailed as for other modules.
For example, the A10C (not A) has the most switches clickable.
A flyable Helicopter is the KA50 e.g. Check digitalcombatsimulator.com for more infos.

Last edited:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Do you have to pay, and do you have to get Steam?

No and no.
DCS is free and comes with a few decent free aircraft. To get more aircraft, you have to buy them (generally) individually.
DCS can be installed as a Steam game OR as a standalone game from the DCS website.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
No and no.
DCS is free and comes with a few decent free aircraft. To get more aircraft, you have to buy them (generally) individually.
DCS can be installed as a Steam game OR as a standalone game from the DCS website.

"A few decent free aircraft" -- there's more than just the Su-25T for free now?

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
"A few decent free aircraft" -- there's more than just the Su-25T for free now?

The TF-51D is still the only other one that is bundled free last time I checked.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
... we just did.

The aircraft it includes for free are:
Su-25T
TF-51D

It does not include an F-16 for free, nor can you get one AFAIK.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Got it. What if you want to fight other aircraft? Do you have to pay for other aircraft other than Frogfoot and TF?

No, you have all aircraft available as AI vessels, you only pay for what you want to pilot.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Got it. What if you want to fight other aircraft? Do you have to pay for other aircraft other than Frogfoot and TF?
Yes, if you want to fly anything other than those two, you need to pay for them. They frequently have sales that make them quite affordable.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
For flyable aircraft, do you have to pay per month, or just once?

Thanks for answering the questions guys.

Just once...

unless you get shot down or crash, in this case you need to buy a new one.... :rofl:... just kidding. You pay once for every non-standard aircraft, that you intent to fly yourself, you don't need to pay for having these aircraft as AI aircraft and you don't need to pay if you want to take part in a multiplayer session with other players using such aircraft.

If you wish to fly multiple aircraft with lower simulation fidelity, you take the Flaming Cliffs 3 add-on. Otherwise, you have the choice from quite many pretty detailed aircraft of different decades. Be aware, that the simulation models are really realistic and might be a challenge. Also, you can buy the "Combined Arms" module for being able to drive tanks and to command the ground units of one alliance.

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
Just once...

unless you get shot down or crash, in this case you need to buy a new one.... :rofl:... just kidding.

:facepalm:. Bummer. I have a tendency to do that.

Sounds pretty sweet. Thanks for answering the questions! Would you recommend Flaming Cliffs 3 or just DCS with added aircraft?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
:facepalm:. Bummer. I have a tendency to do that.

Sounds pretty sweet. Thanks for answering the questions! Would you recommend Flaming Cliffs 3 or just DCS with added aircraft?
It's not either-or.

If you look at the DLC available: http://store.steampowered.com/app/223750/

"DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3" includes "F-15C for DCS World", "Su-25 for DCS World", "A-10A for DCS World", and "Su-27 for DCS World." It would not be wise to get all four separate one when you could just get the pack for less (when it's on sale).

My recommendation would be to start with the Su-25T that comes for free. See if you like it. If so, wait for a sale (they happen a few times a year and give quite a big chunk off) and pick up whatever sounds interesting.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I've flown Su-25 in the older version. On the DCS World website, the download looks free (for Flaming Cliffs 3).

The Su-25T is vastly different to the Su-25 in Lock-on. Also the DCS:World engine is a lot different and since it is free, its easy to use it as performance check of your PC.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've flown Su-25 in the older version. On the DCS World website, the download looks free (for Flaming Cliffs 3).
You may be able to download the file for free, but you can't use it without purchasing a key.