New Release D3D9Client Development

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hiya Gents,

I am writing this post as a potential bug report for the newest version of the D3D9 client for Orbiter 2016. I am not sure if this has been posted about yet, but this is a brand new installation of Orbiter 2016 and the D3D9 Client version R3.4.

(...)

Samuel

I believe that this is a result of LensFlare post processing option and is a known issue, so the easy fix is to simply switch to another option or turn off post processing altogether in your D3D9 Advanced Setup menu.

This is because the Lens Flare shader is simply unaware that there is something blocking the Sun - IIRC back when I last contributed to the project I had an experimental raycasting technique that would block (or recolor, when the sun passes through a glass material) the lens flare. The problem was that it was very unoptimized and thus hurt performance a lot. Also transparent textures weren't recognized as transparent and would block sunlight all the same.

All of this because 3 years ago when I was last active here, I didn't have a lot of C++ experience (not that I have much more now, but at least I can use it for fun and profit!) :lol:

Great to see how far the project has come too. Were those shadows I saw on some screenshots? :thumbup:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Great to see how far the project has come too. Were those shadows I saw on some screenshots? :thumbup:

Yes, there are shadows everywhere! :hailprobe:
Be sure to push the keyboard away or you will drool all over it....

skyeboy

Reaction score
I'm new here. I've really been enjoying learning some basic orbital mechanics.

I'm using Orbiter 2016 (though it seems most of the addons were designed for 2010), with D3D9ClientR3.6-forOrbiter2016(r1069), and have a couple problems I can't seem to figure out.

When using full screen mode (not "true full screen") it seems that the resolution I pick is ignored. I have a 4K monitor, but the 2D cockpit panels are really tiny (don't fill up the horizontal space) unless i reduce the resolution to 1080 in window'd mode (which then only makes a window fill a 1/4 of my monitor's screen) or reduce the resolution in "true full screen".

In "true full screen" though, my anti-aliasing option gets greyed out.

I've tried using my nVidia control panel to add anti-aliasing; but it doesn't seem to have any effect. It's quite possible I'm picking the wrong .exe file? I've tried both "orbiter.exe" and "orbiter_ng.exe" but see no effect. Is there a file in the d3d9 module I need to pick instead for the control panel to over-ride?

Thanks for anyone's time in answering this newbie question...

clipper

Reaction score
In "true full screen" though, my anti-aliasing option gets greyed out.

I've tried using my nVidia control panel to add anti-aliasing; but it doesn't seem to have any effect. It's quite possible I'm picking the wrong .exe file? I've tried both "orbiter.exe" and "orbiter_ng.exe" but see no effect. Is there a file in the d3d9 module I need to pick instead for the control panel to over-ride?

AA doesn't work in True Full Screen mode at the moment. I managed to force it in the past using NVIDIA Profile Inspector (note that you should select the .exe in Modules/Server folder when using an external profiler to apply video settings) but it crashes as soon as you open a dialog window. As far as I know, this is a known issue and is not considered a bug.

Kyle_E

Begining Double Bassist
Reaction score
I can't say about the anti-aliasing but as far as the 2D panel, it is because the panels are stored as images and that is the highest resolution it has. If it were stretched by the D3D9 client, it would look squished. The XR series
https://www.alteaaerospace.com has an option for wide screens that extends the panel and adds extra MFDs.

skyeboy

Reaction score
clipper said:
AA doesn't work in True Full Screen mode at the moment. I managed to force it in the past using NVIDIA Profile Inspector (note that you should select the .exe in Modules/Server folder when using an external profiler to apply video settings) but it crashes as soon as you open a dialog window. As far as I know, this is a known issue and is not considered a bug.

Thanks, for the info, clipper. At least I know there's nothing to be done about that on my end.

I can't say about the anti-aliasing but as far as the 2D panel, it is because the panels are stored as images and that is the highest resolution it has. If it were stretched by the D3D9 client, it would look squished. The XR series
https://www.alteaaerospace.com has an option for wide screens that extends the panel and adds extra MFDs.
The only option I've found in the configuration file is:

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Define the 2D panel resolution that the XR5 should use.
#
# 0 = Autodetect (default)
# 1 = Use 1280-pixel-wide panels
# 2 = Use 1600-pixel-wide panels
# 3 = Use 1920-pixel-wide panels
#
# The default value is 0 (autodetect).
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2DPanelWidth=0

In my case setting this to 3 makes no difference; as like you said there isn't a panel bitmap larger than this. However, is there some other configuration or 3rd party option I'm missing?

Thanks again...

Kyle_E

Begining Double Bassist
Reaction score
Sorry I can't say too much as I don't have a wide screen monitor, however the different panel sizes in the XR fleet should be included by default.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
You can set the Panel scale setting via the Parameters page of the Orbiter Launchpad to scale any ship's 2D panels to fit a given screen resolution. For example, setting Panel scale to 1.25 would make 2D panels 25% larger (the 1920 panel becomes 2400 pixels wide), and setting it to 2.0 is good for a 4k monitor (the 1920 panel becomes 3840 pixels wide).

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The Generic Camera CTD, when I try to use Night Vision. Anyone else ?

I'm using 3.5 update.

1hippienaut

Reaction score
newest inline d3d9 client oddities

:tiphat:

there is a large dark ring on earths surface around sun right in the middle of the daytime note position on map mfd
also cant seem to hide info bar {top left and right} or the cntrl F4 option to check the box to make it hideable
everything else is great nice work yall

windows 10
directx components all updated
orbiter version is latest 2016
newest inline client release for 2016 orbiter version

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Ree: D3D9Client Development

Try the windowed Orbiter and say if the problem still exists or not.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm using 3.6, Sorry.:facepalm:
Here's a recompiled package. The CTD is likely caused by a change in a Sketchpad3 interface that is still under development.

Attachments

• DockingCamera.zip
    258.4 KB · Views: 6

1hippienaut

Reaction score
thanks for your reply
yes still present also when landed on earth the sky just above horizon
is also black all the way up
alls fine using orbiter. exe

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
alls fine using orbiter. exe
If so, then this is the wrong thread to be discussing your issue in. This thread deals only with the external D3D9Client that is only be used with Orbiter_ng. I suggest that you create a new thread that deals with your issue specifically so it isn't lost in the more relevant discussions.

1hippienaut

Reaction score

good to see you again DaveS good memories
digging the new SSU well done updating her
i am using the ng.exe version only checked the standard version for comparison

Last edited:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
yes still present also when landed on earth the sky just above horizon is also black all the way up.

This doesn't sound right. Nobody's touched the code sections rendering the sky in a long time and nobody's reported a problem like this before. So, Did unzipping the package failed to extract some files ? Having some files (like shaders) from a really old build mixed with a new binaries could cause something like that. Or it could be a hardware issue, I don't know.

---------- Post added at 02:47 ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 ----------

Still crashes. :(

I forgot to mention that the package is for Orbiter2016 only. It does crash with Beta. If it crashes with O2016 then I quess you have to wait for 3.7 to arrive. Shouldn't take long.