Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
@MajorKong I just tested that link, and it's giving me a 403 error as well.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Speaking of links, I just realised that the D3D9Client link on the Orbiter download page still points to the old CodePlex page which I assume is outdated now.

I've slightly lost track of the D3D9 release cycle. Is there something like an authoritative and maintained site with downloads containing the latest version of the client working with the 2016 release (plus optionally a version for the beta)? Ideally something user-friendly with easily accessible download buttons and installation instructions, including a link to the required DirectX runtimes.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Which side of the faces make the shadow ? The visible side or the see through side? Is there a flag to change which it is ?

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Speaking of links, I just realised that the D3D9Client link on the Orbiter download page still points to the old CodePlex page which I assume is outdated now.

I've slightly lost track of the D3D9 release cycle. Is there something like an authoritative and maintained site with downloads containing the latest version of the client working with the 2016 release (plus optionally a version for the beta)? Ideally something user-friendly with easily accessible download buttons and installation instructions, including a link to the required DirectX runtimes.
You're absolutely right here :blush:
CodePlex had the nice feature that either Jarmo or myself could easily update the "main page" to present latest (development-)versions.
For D3D9Client for BETA (and to some extend also D3D9Client for 2016) one has to look at the development thread and find the latest attachments...which is far from being desirable!

An option might be if the 1st post of this thread could be updated as soon as a new build is released (plus one ore two older versions maybe).
I might have to ask Xyon if it might be possible to make a post editable by two members (but I doubt that vBulletin supports this).

If that "two editors" option is not possible, I would happily volunteer to create (and maintain) another sticky post/thread that only provides a download location for the latest D3D9Client builds. Comments should be disabled to limit the confusion ;)

Bottom line is: There should definitely be one location to get the "official" builds that is not hidden to much (as it currently is)!

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
D3D9 team had issues with Codeplex since April 2015
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=502070&postcount=3137

Then again in October, same year, Jarmo started thinking about migrating somewhere else (OH maybe?)
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=518739&postcount=3213

At the start of 2018 Jarmo wrote
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=571181&postcount=4461

And Kuddel added
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=571241&postcount=4467

Meanwhile Tuttovola links have always been up.

When I try to click on the download link, I am met with an error screen that says 403 Forbidden. I would greatly appreciate if someone would either fix the link, or repost the files.

BTW, Jarmo, when you have time the first post needs to be updated, the broken link is there.

Last edited:

Cougar

Reaction score
Problem with D3D9 Client since R3.4

Good morning everybody!

I recently updated my previous D3D9 client version R3.2 (r995) to R3.4 (r1038M).

Since that the fonts on both MFDs are huge and the main screen flickers. If i turn the MFDs off the flickering of the main screen stops.

I have the same problems with D3D9 client R3.5, too.

Does anybody have a solution for that...

Thanks a lot!

Best regards
Rick

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score

The Codeplex has been out a year or two already. There has been some discussion/ideas about creating a wiki page in the orbiterwiki.org that could operate as a front for the client project, examples and other related stuff. So that the page could be updated, maintained and developped by anyone. If I recall correctly there has been some attempts to do so, but... there's been a few problems. Since, Ripley has well maintained Tuttovola download links we haven't had need to address the issue.

---------- Post added at 16:07 ---------- Previous post was at 16:02 ----------

BTW, Jarmo, when you have time the first post needs to be updated, the broken link is there.

Ok, Thanks. It's been updated now. I noticed the report from 404 but I thought it was a temporary server issue.

Last edited:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Which side of the faces make the shadow ? The visible side or the see through side? Is there a flag to change which it is ?

It's the "Front" (visible) and there's no flags to control it. I tried the Back side too while developping the code but it had some problems that I don't recall very well. But the "Front" was my choise. Adding a flag is not impossible but why do you need it ? Could you post a screen-shot about the problem, so that I could get a better idea of what's going on.

I made some small improvents into the shadowing shaders, it should fix some issues. Attached below (just the shaders for 2016 and beta)

Attachments

• Shaders.zip
    4.3 KB · Views: 14

Felix24

Reaction score
Self-shadowing in VC

Is there any way to enable self-shadowing in the virtual cockpit? Right now it only works when you are in exterior view and you use the "Wheel Fly/Pan Cam" to enter the VC part of the mesh.

In this example, I edited the stock Atlantis mesh by adding "FLAG 1" to the "59 windows" meshgroup.

PHP:
MATERIAL 3
TEXTURE 0
FLAG 1
GEOM 264 140 ; 59 windows

Image22.jpg

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is there any way to enable self-shadowing in the virtual cockpit?

Right now, No. Shadows for the interior VC mesh are not implemented. However, all the required tech is there to make it happen. The reason why it was left out of the implementation was the missing FLAG 1 and the material configuration is used in many virtual cockpits. Lack of actual light in a VC is compensated by making materials emissive, which is problematic.

fred18 is working on a tool to bake ISS A to Z into one larger vessel. Sadly, the current shadowing model relies on a mudular construction composed from a multible vessels. So, I have to re-configure the object model to work on induvidual meshes insted. Rendering order of meshes in a vessel would change, so, I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope it doesn't cause any issues. During that process I can extend the model to operate with VC too.

Last edited:

Cougar

Reaction score
Problem with the new D3D9 Client

I´m so sorry and i apologize to disturb your conversation,

but i have a problem with the D3D9 Clients since R3.2 (r995):

I recently updated my previous well working D3D9 client version R3.2 (r995) to R3.4 (r1038M) and further on to R3.5 - for some reason i missed Version R3.3.

Since that update the fonts on both Deltaglider III MFDs are huge and the main window screen is flickering. If i switch the MFDs off the flickering of the main window screen stops.

This happens with all not necessary modules disabled, too.

I have the same problems with D3D9 client R3.5.

Does anybody have a solution for that...

Thanks a lot!

Best regards
Rick

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Since that update the fonts on both Deltaglider III MFDs are huge and the main window screen is flickering. If i switch the MFDs off the flickering of the main window screen stops.

Deltaglider III ? It could be pretty old. Is the problem specific to that vessel ? Could you post the "Orbiter.log" between
Code:
 tags. The file is located in the root folder.

I can't get it to work one bit. If it worked with R3.2 then it would be good to resolve what changes has caused it to stop working. Where did you download it ?

Last edited:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
You're absolutely right here :blush:
CodePlex had the nice feature that either Jarmo or myself could easily update the "main page" to present latest (development-)versions.
For D3D9Client for BETA (and to some extend also D3D9Client for 2016) one has to look at the development thread and find the latest attachments...which is far from being desirable!

An option might be if the 1st post of this thread could be updated as soon as a new build is released (plus one ore two older versions maybe).
I might have to ask Xyon if it might be possible to make a post editable by two members (but I doubt that vBulletin supports this).

If that "two editors" option is not possible, I would happily volunteer to create (and maintain) another sticky post/thread that only provides a download location for the latest D3D9Client builds. Comments should be disabled to limit the confusion ;)

Bottom line is: There should definitely be one location to get the "official" builds that is not hidden to much (as it currently is)!

As you suggest, this is a particularly tricky problem to solve with the forum engine as it currently stands (this isn't a particularly common paradigm, so, I can't find any evidence of it being possible at all under the current forum rules.

With the rebuild of OHM, this would be possible under the noted designs, but while they might make an acceptable final solution the rebuild is a long way from complete.

I had assumed, however, that the tuttovola link was pretty much up-to-date - though I'm not sure who has access to update that. From reading here I surmise it's pretty much just Ripley?

Generally, I handle this problem by having CI update a symlink to "latest.zip", which always points to the most recent artefact from the automated build process, but I suspect that might be harder to accomplish with this project.

So, to sum up: No, the forum can't do this, and I don't currently have a viable short-term fix short of updating the download page to use the tuttovola link.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, if the tuttovola page always contains the latest builds (more or less) I think it will do the job.
I just didn't really noticed that he does provide this "service" for us :)

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Yes, I am the only one accessing and updating Tuttovola D3D9 download page.
It's always (manually) up to date with the latest official releases, for both O2016 and Beta versions, give it a couple of days max.
If you ever notice it's hoplessly getting out of date, you'll know something has happened to me ;-)

Now that I think about it, I will soon remove the "obsolete" link still there (for an old Beta, before SVN era).

And yes, I'm doing this just for the sake of helping this amazing community!

Last edited:

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I always wondered why there is no link on OHM for D3D9. It would be enough to setup a shared account between the developers, call the user "D3D9 team" or something and share the password among yourselves. And the service it provides does the job: you can update the package as many time as you want and the link always remains the same so you can easily share it.

I know D3D9 is not an "addon", it's something really special, but if the point is having a link that remains the same and is easy to update this seems a solution to me.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
...Now that I think about it, I will soon remove the "obsolete" link still there (for an old Beta, before SVN era)...
Mmmhhh...I just saw that the latest download is from few days ago. Seems someone still need that old release from 2015.
I'll wait some more before removing it then.

I always wondered why there is no link on OHM for D3D9.
Yes, same here. Looks odd.

...It would be enough to setup a shared account between the developers, call the user "D3D9 team" or something and share the password among yourselves...
Isn't OH password the same password used on OF? Or are they indipendent, separate accounts? I just don't remember it now.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Mmmhhh...I just saw that the latest download is from few days ago. Seems someone still need that old release from 2015.
I'll wait some more before removing it then.

Yes, same here. Looks odd.

Isn't OH password the same password used on OF? Or are they indipendent, separate accounts? I just don't remember it now.

Yes, the two are linked at present, which would mean a shadow account on the forum itself. I can probably work around that to make something for this purpose, though.