New Release D3D9Client Development

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is that O.K. (legally according to their terms that is) to do this on github?
I thought that you have to put source onto github too when doing that...
But I am not an expert on those things.

I think the only requirement on your project on the free plan is that it is open source. AFAIK there is no requirement to host it all on github. Given that OVP is dual licensed GPL/LGPL to start with, that should be no problem.

---------- Post added at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

But I meant "from the end-users perspective": Too many possibilities to click, ending up getting something that you don't really want.

I see what you mean. However, many users tinkering with open-source software are already familiar with github today, as it is the de-facto standard.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
By the way: I've never considered orbithangar as an release platform...and orbithangar is the place to download Orbiter stuff anyway.
How is updating handled there? I mean is is keeping track of Orbiter BETA?
The D3D9Client releases for Orbiter 2010 and Orbiter 2016 should be fine there!

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
By the way: I've never considered orbithangar as an release platform...and orbithangar is the place to download Orbiter stuff anyway.
How is updating handled there?

You edit your addon entry with new text and/or content. I find it a bit cumbersome for frequent releases, and would therefore only recommend it for major releases, just as it is used today.

I think Xyon once mentioned refactoring in this regards, but I have no clue how far that progressed.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Does OrbitHangar have any kind of CORS API? If it does, all we need is a jenkins plugin... :lol:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
How is updating handled there?
I mean is is keeping track of Orbiter BETA?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I think the only requirement on your project on the free plan is that it is open source. AFAIK there is no requirement to host it all on github. Given that OVP is dual licensed GPL/LGPL to start with, that should be no problem.

That's not necessarily entirely true. Aren't the terms and conditions described in Orbiter Freeware License apart of the OVP. Also we have software in the D3D9Client package that also includes the same non-sell-ability statement as the Orbiter Freeware License does.

That shouldn't be a problem unless GitHub is really picky about OSD. I once did try to read the Teams of Service form GitHub and the only thing I got out of it was a nasty headache. So, might be better to e-mail the GitHub and ask about it. A payed account on GitHub would do the trick but it's likely not worth it.

The Orbiter-Wiki could be more stress free solution.

btw. The "Terms of Use" button in Orbiter.exe doesn't work. Is that a known issue.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That's not necessarily entirely true. Aren't the terms and conditions described in Orbiter Freeware License apart of the OVP. Also we have software in the D3D9Client package that also includes the same non-sell-ability statement as the Orbiter Freeware License does.

That shouldn't be a problem unless GitHub is really picky about OSD. I once did try to read the Teams of Service form GitHub and the only thing I got out of it was a nasty headache. So, might be better to e-mail the GitHub and ask about it. A payed account on GitHub would do the trick but it's likely not worth it.

The Orbiter-Wiki could be more stress free solution.

btw. The "Terms of Use" button in Orbiter.exe doesn't work. Is that a known issue.

Well, sure, open-source and Orbiter will obviously never be stress-free :) . However, I don't think that github will have a problem with it, because you don't have commercial use involved. After all, they are not as picky as the FSF.

Orbiter-Wiki is also only half of a solution, because you'd have to think about the download host (and its possible license mambo-jumbo) as well for the complete package.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Sorry, that may be a dumb question: Is there a way to render planetary night surfaces a little brighter than totally dark?

I only recently started to use the D3D9 client. The view and microtexturing is absolutely stunning! But the planetary night sides are totally dark. Increasing the "Planet glow" in the Advanced video tab changes very little.

If I up the ambient light level in the visual effects tab, the vessel gets quite bright, but the planet stays dark. I understand that a planet night side (especially without an atmosphere) is indeed totally dark, but I tend to get lost during orbital maneuvers and would prefer to have at least an idea which direction is planet side, and which is up.

broadcastyourseb

Reaction score
D3D9 trouble - unable to launch orbiter

Hi,

I'm running Linux Mint 18.3 and wine-1.8.

I download Orbiter2016.zip and D3D9Client2016-R2-1.zip as explain in this website : http://devio.us/~dv/linux-orbiter.html

No matter options I choose in the video tab, orbiter returns the same error :

D3D9: ERROR: D3D9Effect.cpp Line:253 Error:-2147467259 D3DXCreateEffectFromFileA(pDev, name, macro, 0, D3DXSHADER_NO_PRESHADER|D3DXSHADER_PREFER_FLOW_CONTROL, 0, &FX, &errors)
D3D9: ERROR: Effect Error: Modules/D3D9Client/D3D9Client.fx(542,24): error X3004: undeclared identifier 'rcp'

Any ideas ? My graphic card is a Nvidia Geforce GTX 650Ti

View attachment Orbiter.log

LeePalmer

Reaction score
Hi.

Might I suggest a wine 2 or 3 with Orbiter2016.zip and D3D9Client2016-R2-1.zip
versions.

Cheers

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Transparent mountains at sunset in White Sands. :uhh:
attachment.php

Attachments

• sun_NOR.PNG
    sun_NOR.PNG
    116.9 KB · Views: 341

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I mean is is keeping track of Orbiter BETA?

Yeah, where is the d3d9 client for Orbiter beta? Cant find it anymore

Is the latest beta d3d9client for revision r71? As given in the tuttovala website? But it says obsolete

Last edited:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
It doesn't say so anymore :)
As far as I know, that is the last D3D9 for Orbiter Beta SVN version.

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
About the runway lights being above the ground in the D3D9 version for Orbiter BETA: the offset seems to be related to the altitude of the runway, as a runway close to sea level has a much smaller light offset than a runway at higher altitude.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
While testing my updated Altair for 2016, I noticed that spotlights don't illuminate the ground.
On the inline client they do so this is a missing feature.

If you land the poles, there are permanent shadows and you need spotlights...

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
While testing my updated Altair for 2016, I noticed that spotlights don't illuminate the ground.

Exactly. Noticed this a long time ago but forgot to report it

LeePalmer

Reaction score

Yes. It is the reason I put together the spotlight luascript MFD. So that you
could visit the darkside, and come out alive. I was trying to make an eclipse shadow, but failed. :-(

If the graphic client starts to support spotlights. Then inverting the penumbra umbra settings gives a lovely black spot. No longer a case of "Out damned spot." :)

Sorry.

Lizhi Shang

Reaction score
Is anybody knows if the docking MFD plugin in the attached D3D9-goodies for orbiter 2016 or the beta version?

CanPopper1959

Reaction score
Trying to run orbiter 2016NG

I launch it, and a box opens up with command prompts and a long list scrolls down... no errors indicated, but then it just stops with this last lines:

Orbiter NG (no graphics)
Running in server mode (no graphics client attached).

I installed it and enabled it in modules tab any ideas ?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
D3D9Client 2016 Edition R2.2

Here's a new (experimental) build of the client with reworked local light sources. They are now running in a per pixel basis and also effects in terrain. Local light sources checkbox is no longer operational, control is moved to D3D9 setup panel.

"Partial" light only does diffuse lighting computations and doesn't create specular reflections for materials. Terrain lighting only supports "4x Partial lights" at a moment.

There are no other significant changes made. Will do when I find more time.

This build is for the official Orbiter 2016 (not the beta)

Attachments

• D3D9Client2016-R2_2.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 48