New Release D3D9Client Development

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Bug report for D3D9ClientBeta12-forBETA r25(r37067) and OrbiterBeta revision 32.
The bug does NOT occur in OrbiterBeta - it only occurs with D3D9.

When I switch an MFD off, I get this (default DeltaGlider):

mPAmKji.png

0iCtMfL.png

sSvQvyk.png

In the last screen you can see some Windows components from the underlying Firefox window...

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
D3D9Client for Orbiter BETA r34

Since the doctor is diligent, I have to react ;)
For everybody who likes to be "linked against the latest Orbiter BETA":
Here you are.
D3D9Client linked against Orbiter BETA r34

Last edited:

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is there any reason to make a new d3d9 client for the latest ovp commit (41) for the latest beta, which includes the modified reentry plasma?

Reaction score
Planetary body rendering cut-off with distance

I don't know what causes this, but it's been present since at least D3D9Client for Beta12 (which I have installed on a different PC). It's dependent on view distance and/or FOV. It is not present in the inline client.

A quick and dirty test shows it first occurring in Beta12 build (20/3/15). Previous builds tested 9,10,11) do not display this issue.

Cheers, WE.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Is there any reason to make a new d3d9 client for the latest ovp commit (41) for the latest beta, which includes the modified reentry plasma?
I don't know. I have to take a look what changes might be needed. Maybe I'll find some time on the weekend. Most likely not any sooner. Sorry, real life issues have higher priority.
But if we are lucky, jarmonik might be quicker ;)

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I am a bit out of the loop right now. I should be able to get back to the client when I get the LTMFD 2.0 out of my hand. Also tried KSP and it seems to be quite addictive at first but gets a boring towards the end. So, I guess I am done with it.

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:08 ----------

I don't know what causes this, but it's been present since at least D3D9Client for Beta12 (which I have installed on a different PC). It's dependent on view distance and/or FOV. It is not present in the inline client.

Yes, I noticed that. Planet seems to be rendering but either texture or sun light is gone.

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Yeah I noticed the surface bases can be seen through the mountains as well, but I didn't bother reporting it cause it is fairly obvious.

The same seems to happen in the inline engine. It is a problematic issue to fix. Depth buffer is partially disabled to avoid terrain overlapping the launchpads issue. So, this is lesser bad from two bad choices. But, I'll try to think of something...

---------- Post added at 22:29 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

Bug report for D3D9ClientBeta12-forBETA r25(r37067) and OrbiterBeta revision 32.
The bug does NOT occur in OrbiterBeta - it only occurs with D3D9.
When I switch an MFD off, I get this (default DeltaGlider):

I haven't been able to reproduce the issue. The area where the problem might exists is pretty large. Does it still occur with the latest beta ?

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
D3D9Client for Orbiter BETA r38

For everybody who likes to be "linked against the latest Orbiter BETA":
Here you are.
D3D9Client linked against Orbiter BETA r38

Only change in D3D9Client code:
- Reentry particle streams: parameters tweaked for onset at higher altitudes (like svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/orbitervis/code/D3D7Client r41)

Last edited:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Bug report for r25 d3d9beta client.
Meshes of surface bases, and runways, are rendered at the sphere level, instead of actual surface level.
I remember, in older versions, this problem wasn't there.
Otherwise, very good job! Very stable! :thumbup:

I am detecting small offset problems with shadows, runways and runway lights. Nothing major but still requires fixing. Is there a stock scenario that would show the problem better ? Does the problem apply to the latest beta ?

---------- Post added at 22:55 ---------- Previous post was at 22:40 ----------

I wonder if more environment cams could be added? Currently D3D9Client only supports 1 environment cam per vessel. I'd like to see support for more than one cam per vessel to get more accurate reflections.

Yes, it is possible and the code should exists already but it's not in use. I suppose it would be possible to specify a fixed coordinates for a camera or a camera could be placed in a center of a specified mesh group which would allow the camera to move along with an animation.

The reason why the code is not online is this:
The client is rendering unknown mesh group 218 from unknown vessel, which image should it reflect ?

I suppose it might be possible to use mesh group - camera distance weighted with a camera specific weight factor to make the selection but I don't know. Suggestions ?

Also, what would be a good way to handle add-on - client communication ?

---------- Post added at 23:18 ---------- Previous post was at 22:55 ----------

What is the difference? If the runway lights could be changed to resemble the ones in FSX, then that would be great.

Point filter makes runway marking to appear as sharp edged squares where as any other filter creates blurry edges. FSX seems to be using a vector art to create runway markings. It's possible, it would require a database containing a common markers and labels. Due to Orbiter's new terrain model runways and runway lights needs some adjustments. And, of course, there are compatibility issues those do set some constraints.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Also, what would be a good way to handle add-on - client communication ?
Well, the use of an SDK works very well for OrbiterSound and it is considered an essential add-on. There's no issues with it.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
To kuddel and jarmonik:
As we said some months ago (after the spam attack at Codeplex), I'm hosting the various D3D9 versions on my page at Tuttovola:
http://www.tuttovola.org/index.php?action=downloads;cat=64

I would keep on hosting them there if it's still okay for you, that is.

Yes, it's perfectly okay. :thumbup:

---------- Post added 01-11-15 at 00:03 ---------- Previous post was 31-10-15 at 23:59 ----------

Also, if there are problem with SVN in codeplex then I suppose we could have a work repository at Orbithangar for an example, but that's up-to Kuddel to decide.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Also, if there are problem with SVN in codeplex then I suppose we could have a work repository at Orbithangar for an example, but that's up-to Kuddel to decide.
Such an honor ;)

I really would like to leave CodePlex. Its SVN-bridge is *very* limited and their support is even worse.
I would like to dump the repo from them, but guess what...they do not support that :(
I'll have to think about my options.

I hope that a standard svn-dump is easy for OrbitHangar, right? Any information on the svn-version ? I don't know if the 1.9 format is possibly "to new".

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok, the d3d9 client doesnt show up the textures for the moons of saturn with new tile format, Rhea, Enceladus, etc. They show up as black spheres. No such problem in default graphics. Please try to fix this in the next build.

Also, what about the Earth's atmosphere? Everything looks washed out, as if the saturation has been reduced for the Earth's atmosphere in d3d9 client. Sun looks good, but I think it should look more yellow, instead of the current blue shade

Reaction score
Have you tried the D3D9 Atmospheric Controls? (CTRL+F4) You can mess with the atmospheric appearance significantly, and save your preferred settings.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ok, the d3d9 client doesnt show up the textures for the moons of saturn with new tile format, Rhea, Enceladus, etc. They show up as black spheres. No such problem in default graphics. Please try to fix this in the next build.

I can see the problem and it will be fixed.

Also, what about the Earth's atmosphere? Everything looks washed out, as if the saturation has been reduced for the Earth's atmosphere in d3d9 client. Sun looks good, but I think it should look more yellow, instead of the current blue shade

Everything ? Really ? The horizon is washed out on my laptop but it's perfectly fine on desktop screen. So, it's all dependent on displays and tastes as well. The atmosphere rendering model is experimental and some changes will be made to it in the future.

Also, the sun should be easy to replace by replacing the texture.

---------- Post added at 03:03 ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 ----------

I would like to dump the repo from them, but guess what...they do not support that :(
It wouldn't hurt to have the change history copied into a new location but I am OK just having the head revision to start with, which can be downloaded from codeplex.

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Everything ? Really ? The horizon is washed out on my laptop but it's perfectly fine on desktop screen. So, it's all dependent on displays and tastes as well. The atmosphere rendering model is experimental and some changes will be made to it in the future.

Also, the sun should be easy to replace by replacing the texture.

Ok. Is there a contrast setting in the d3d9client atmosphere controls? It looks fine actually. Its just washed out compared to default graphics. Maybe thats how it should look actually. But after all, this problem may not be because of atmosphere. The moon in dx9 client looks much more grayish and the shadows of the terrain are much lighter(compared to default graphics). Again, that maybe how it looks in reality.

And I didnt mean the Sun's colour exactly. It actually appears white from the Earth's surface. The glow around the sun, is blue. It can be understood quite easily from Mars. I meant that the glow should be yellow. As our sun is a yellow star.. not like Sirius.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It shouldn't be washed out like that. It's possible that a wrong file has slipped into a distribution. You should get a better look for the Earth by reducing slider "Aux4" a pit from atmospheric controls from functions tab. I don't know whats wrong with the Moon but it will be sorted out.