New Release D3D9Client Development

eddievhfan1984

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Oy

Sorry I can't provide much more than bug reports, but I wanted to give the new client with runway lighting a shot, and I get the following screenshot:

PLEASE tell me it was just a bad checksum and I need to re-download the files... T_T

Attachments

• Further D3D9 problems.png
    Further D3D9 problems.png
    167.3 KB · Views: 23

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Sorry I can't provide much more than bug reports, but I wanted to give the new client with runway lighting a shot, and I get the following screenshot:

PLEASE tell me it was just a bad checksum and I need to re-download the files... T_T
Try the D3D9TK.dll provided in the attachment from this post. I haven't checked others, but that one exports your missing function.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score

There is no runway lighting implemented yet but should be hopefully available in RC40. The package in a post 1137 doesn't contain executable binary only a source codes and libraries. Therefore, installing it without building the sources will brake your installation. To fix it you need to reinstall the RC39 from the first post.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant this post. It contains source and additionally Modules folder with D3D9TK.dll which implements the missing function.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi jarmonik,

thanks for your "Work in Progress" ZIP! I compiled it and it has (at least) two new features ;)
- Runway (Beacon) Lights
- Grappling Arrows

On the BeaconArray: Is it normal that in an default "v111105" Orbiter setup the runway lights are kind of "displaced" and "rotated" somehow? (see attached screenshot -- running "Scenarios\Delta-glider\Habana Spaceport.scn")

And by the way, the attached ZIP containing a somewhat "leaner" Beacon Texture [16512 bytes vs. 87508 bytes ;) ] that I think does the job.

Anyway, great progress so far.
Regards,
Kuddel

P.S.: By the way, can you point me to a link or something, regarding this [...]'surfBltTgt' must be changed to 'mutable' from GraphicsAPI.h[...]? Is this change in an Orbiter-API header file really needed? And how is this comunicated with the Doctor?

Attachments

• LightsMisplaced.jpg
    LightsMisplaced.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 32
  • D3D9RwyLight.zip
    8.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Bibi Uncle

50% Orbinaut, 50% Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
@kuddel

As jarmonik said in his previous post, the sources he sent does not include the runway lights, even if you compile them. I am working on the runway lights, so there's only me that can run the client with them for now. You'll have to wait for the next RC to see them.

The lights you see are just tests that jarmonik did. It does not take in account any config file parameters.

@jarmonik
My exam session is finished now. It was only one week. I can now work on the client without exams' stress.

Last edited:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
@kuddel

As jarmonik said in his previous post, the sources he sent does not include the runway lights, even if you compile them. I am working on the runway lights, so there's only that can run the client with them for now. You'll have to wait for the next RC to see them.

The lights you see are just tests that jarmonik did. It does not take in account any config file parameters.
Thanks a lot for the clarification! I must have missed that little part:embarrassed:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
And by the way, the attached ZIP containing a somewhat "leaner" Beacon Texture [16512 bytes vs. 87508 bytes ;) ] that I think does the job.

There is a problem with mipmaps. The auto-generation of mipmaps will usually end-up in a solution where the lowest mipmap levels 1x1, 2x2 and 4x4 are completely black. This is the reason why rwy lights becomes pretty dark when zooming out. Every mipmap level should contain atleast one or more fully white pixles. So, the 1x1 mipmap should be a white pixel. I have used a hex-editor the fix the lowest mipmap levels from a new texture.

It's also possible to use single channel alpha only texture (A8) without a color information.

P.S.: By the way, can you point me to a link or something, regarding this [...]'surfBltTgt' must be changed to 'mutable' from GraphicsAPI.h[...]? Is this change in an Orbiter-API header file really needed? And how is this comunicated with the Doctor?

I suppose it would be possible to stop using the 'surfBltTgt' and use some other variable instead. I am sure there are a few work-a-rounds for the problem. I have notified Martin about it but I don't know what he's going to do with it.

Astronut25

Reaction score
MFD Trouble

Anyone else having trouble with the external MFDs when the "GDI/DirectX" setting is used? the buttons work, but the MFD's "screen" is totally black.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have never had issues with external MFDs with the D3D9 client. I use them on every single flight in Orbiter, and they work as one would expect.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Anyone else having trouble with the external MFDs when the "GDI/DirectX" setting is used? the buttons work, but the MFD's "screen" is totally black.
I haven't detected any problems. Does the problem occur in a true fullscreen mode, fullscreen window or in a windowed mode ?
Orbiter 2010-P1 or Orbiter Beta ?
All MFDs or some specific MFDs ?

eddievhfan1984

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I tried to build from source using Visual Studio '10 (it warned me it was created with a previous version), but it won't build, complaining that it can't find d3dx9.h. T_T And when I tried using the Orbiter Server Mode, it just opened briefly, turned off my ClearType, then closed again.

Last edited:

Astronut25

Reaction score
I haven't detected any problems. Does the problem occur in a true fullscreen mode, fullscreen window or in a windowed mode ?
Orbiter 2010-P1 or Orbiter Beta ?
All MFDs or some specific MFDs ?

the "GDI/DirectX" option is the only thing that effects it.
I use Orbiter Beta 111105.
All MFDs

it looks like the MFD "screen" isnt being drawn. I can press the buttons and it acts like it should, just no image.
12.02.21 16-28-28 XR2.247.jpg

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Well, I tried to build from source using Visual Studio '10 (it warned me it was created with a previous version), but it won't build, complaining that it can't find d3dx9.h. T_T
Did you install DirectX SDK (and set path to its Include and Lib folders either in Visual Studio, if it hasn't been done automatically, or in the project file)?

eddievhfan1984

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Did you install DirectX SDK (and set path to its Include and Lib folders either in Visual Studio, if it hasn't been done automatically, or in the project file)?
Not yet, but I'll go look for it. And in relation to the update on my recent post, I just switched from 2011-P1 to the 2011 beta.

EDIT: Nevermind about the install problems. But when I looked at the project file code, the folder is indicated as being included:

<Tool
Name="VCCLCompilerTool"
AdditionalOptions="/D "D3D_DEBUG_INFO""
Optimization="0"
AdditionalIncludeDirectories=""C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Include\mfc";"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (February 2010)\Include";..\..\Orbitersdk\include"
PreprocessorDefinitions="WIN32;_DEBUG;_WINDOWS;_USRDLL;D3D9CLIENT_EXPORTS"
BasicRuntimeChecks="3"
RuntimeLibrary="1"
EnableEnhancedInstructionSet="2"
PrecompiledHeaderFile=""
WarningLevel="3"
DebugInformationFormat="3"
/>
But, admittedly, I'm a complete dilettante when it comes to VS.

---------- Post added at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

And to those who didn't read one of my previous posts, I just changed to the beta build of Orbiter, but when I tried to run the Server executable, it opened, turned off my ClearType, then closed. What's up with that?

Last edited:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I use Orbiter Beta 111105.
Yes, Looks like I can reproduce the problem under Orbiter Beta 111105. I am currently working under Orbiter 2010-P1. I'll check it out when the RC40 is ready for testing under 111105.

Bibi Uncle

50% Orbinaut, 50% Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (February 2010)\Include is the default installation path to the DirectX SDK of February 2010 (that you have to download and install), the same jarmonik and I use. This release was the last one to support Visual Studio 2005, the version that I use.

However, the February 2010 version does not support Visual Studio 2010. You still can try to install it, but the header files will probably not be defined in Visual Studio.

eddievhfan1984

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I have the June 2010 SDK, and aside from an extra folder for x64 libraries, it's pretty much the same. Maybe that's the problem: I have to adjust the reference to use the x86 library in the \include and \lib folders. I'll let you know...

EDIT: I changed the directory information in the include code to "...(June 2010)" as opposed to "...(February 2010)," and I had to run VS as an administrator (UAC and all, dont'cha know... :p). I had a near-successful build, then I got this error while the client part was being built:

"D3D9Client.cpp(1371): error C3490: 'surfBltTgt' cannot be modified because it is being accessed through a const object
1>D3D9Client.cpp(1408): error C3490: 'surfBltTgt' cannot be modified because it is being accessed through a const object
1>D3D9Client.cpp(1449): error C3490: 'surfBltTgt' cannot be modified because it is being accessed through a const object
1>D3D9Client.cpp(1491): error C3490: 'surfBltTgt' cannot be modified because it is being accessed through a const object"

Any ideas?

Last edited: