New Release D3D9Client Development

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How common is the XR panel problem ? Do we need to take some actions to fix it somehow ?

Currently I can only think of one possible reason for the failure. It is likely that the panel backgrounds behind the instruments are cleaned up by using oapiBlt by copying the instrument backgrounds from an offscreen surface. Before drawing the actual instrument. However, This blitting operation will fail for some unknown reason filling the target rectangle with a white color. But since, the panel is using a white colorkey it will become transparent.

The DX API documentation says that the StretchRect() is often used to change an aspect ration of a video stream. Could a video codecs or settings effect in the behaviour of StretchRect(). Of course, It would be possible to use a GPU for blitting but the StretchRect() is faster.

---------- Post added at 12:45 ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 ----------

Ok, I found the "screenshot" but it's only 1 by 1 pixles in size.

---------- Post added at 13:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 ----------

And as far as I know, jarmonik once had a D3D9 client version, which actually used part of that atmospheric rendering code as well, but I seem to remember he was running into some issues with the transition of the rendering from inside to outside the atmosphere. At that point, jarmonik dropped the new atmospheric rendering method (for the time being) to focus on the solution of the major bugs. But what was there, looked great, much better than the default inline rendering method.
I very much hope, that jarmonik, as soon as the major bugs are ironed out, can include again the new atmospheric rendering technique into his D3D9client, maybe even with the help of the good doctor Martin Schweiger, in case some changes were needed in the core of the Orbiter engine.

I haven't forgotten that project. I'll remember it every time when I see an orbital sunrise in the current implementation which is pretty horrible. An atmospheric improvements would be now more easier to do than back then. For an example a programmable fog is already implemented for everything. (AtmosphericHaze() in D3D9Client.fx) Back then we had only a fixed function fog. Also the atmospheric rendering is only a visual effect, therefore, no modifications are required for the Orbiter core engine.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't see any screen shots in your posts. Can anyone else ? There's only a few lines of text. Is the forum playing tricks ?
I can see them (as all moderators and administrators can see them too). The album those pictures are from is made private, and that's the reason you can't see them.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
To follow up on my XR2 2d panel issue, I updated with the current drivers from nVidia and it solved the problem, the 2d panels now work. Thanks.

Astronut25

Reaction score
Fixed Screenshot Issue

I've changed the album's profile, do you see the images?

(note: every bug I have posted should have a screenshot of it included with it, they are in posts #683 #719 #826 #829)

Last edited:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've changed the album's profile, do you see the images?
(note: every bug I have posted should have a screenshot of it included with it, they are in posts #683 #719 #826 #829)
Yes, I can see them now. I am not sure what's going on with the VC but the other bugs should be easy to fix.

ggrof

Reaction score
I don´t know if someone else have made this question, but, anyway...Isn´t possible Orulex working with D3D client?

Bibi Uncle

50% Orbinaut, 50% Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've just downloaded the latest version of your client, and it works like a charm! It does not hit the FPS very much now on my old GeForce 6200. You've done an awesome work!

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Astronut25

Reaction score
An idea for Heat Shield Effects

I was thinking of how to make a heat shield effect like on the XR2 & DGIV but more dynamic, and came up with this.

would it be possible to make a "light" that would only effect the opacity and luminosity of a vessel's mesh group flagged as "heat shield". Could the distance of the light be set in a configuration file?

picture.php
picture.php

I'm also curious as to how hard it would be to add reflections to the game?

Last edited:

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
I don´t know if someone else have made this question, but, anyway...Isn´t possible Orulex working with D3D client?

I PMed Artlav a while back asking this, and the short answer is "no." Not with the version of Orulex we have.

We'll just have to wait on the next generation terrain generator. I hope not long! It really adds to the experience.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have a strange problem with the wind in the newest Orbiter Beta. When using the inline client, disabling the wind works, but when I use the D3D9 client, the wind is still there, even when the launchpad option is off. Could be a bug in Orbiter_NG.exe...

alagreca

Reaction score
Website
home.myspace.com
Wind Effect

I have a strange problem with the wind in the newest Orbiter Beta. When using the inline client, disabling the wind works, but when I use the D3D9 client, the wind is still there, even when the launchpad option is off. Could be a bug in Orbiter_NG.exe...
I don't know if the bug is with the NG client or with the D3D9 client, but I am having the same result with my system. Un-checking the option with the standard Orbiter.exe turns it off. Doing so with Orbiter_NG and D3D9RC34B for beta does not. I really do like the way the wind effect enhances the visuals with propellant tank venting and exhaust plumes, but it really wrecks havoc with anything that has guidance. Multistage II, Shuttle Fleet 4.5 and AMSO are all failing because the of curve ball this throws at them. Not a complaint, 110824 is a beta version of Orbiter and D3D9RC34B for beta means beta. Just a heads up, and a thank you for all of the efforts of the developers.

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I don't know if the bug is with the NG client or with the D3D9 client, but I am having the same result with my system. Un-checking the option with the standard Orbiter.exe turns it off. Doing so with Orbiter_NG and D3D9RC34B for beta does not. I really do like the way the wind effect enhances the visuals with propellant tank venting and exhaust plumes, but it really wrecks havoc with anything that has guidance.
Not a bug of D3D9Client. Any additional information about this issue should be provided in that bug report.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I am finding I can't raise the gold visor in UMMUs when running in the D3D9 client. I did a search and nothing came up, so I am wondering if this is a known and expected issue with D3D9 or I have a more unique issue with my current installation.

I also have found that the XR2s braking performance drops considerably under D3D9. I found it almost impossible to stop the thing before running of the runway. Had to go into the config file and beef up the braking power considerably in order to get the brakes to behave as I would think they would.

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I also have found that the XR2s braking performance drops considerably under D3D9. I found it almost impossible to stop the thing before running of the runway. Had to go into the config file and beef up the braking power considerably in order to get the brakes to behave as I would think they would.

It helps if you open the retro doors before touching down, and then use the retro engines as soon as you touch down. But it's easier said than done. I land with a joystick, so it's difficult to reach over to the keyboard to apply reverse thrust while still trying to steer with the joystick.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I too fly with a joystick when in the atmosphere. I was quite a happy man when I finally learned that the air brake has a key board short cut, let me tell you.

I have had to resort to using the retro doors a few times, as a means of a "reverser engines" like you would find on a jet liner, but blasting rockets on a runway seems to lack "elegance", I guess I would say. I thought about attaching a parachute to the thing, ala the Space Shuttle, but that has to come later.

I bring it up in this topic because in the in-line client, brake performance appears to work just fine. I get a nice decceleration when I apply the brakes. But in the D3D9 client, the effect is very very small. I still get the sound of the brakes, and the HUD indications that both the right and left wheel brakes are at 100, but the power is so small, that I have no option but to deploy the retro rockets and burn.

But the brakes are there and working, just not very well. I used one of the "cheat codes" in the xr cfg and cranked up the braking power by a factor of 3 and indeed, I can now brake. So something is amiss here in the D3D9 client, or the Orbiter NG, or maybe something more exotic.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
So something is amiss here in the D3D9 client, or the Orbiter NG, or maybe something more exotic.
D3D9Client doesn't interface Orbiter physics just graphics. It can however change number of displayed frames per second, which can affect some calculations of physics in some add-ons. Is there a huge difference in frame rates between the inline and D3D9Client when you use brake?

If you aren't sure it is D3D9Client or Orbiter_NG, you can test it with D3D7Client or OGLA, which also use Orbiter_NG.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I honestly don't recall if the frame rate is that much different at the exact moments I brake, but on the whole, the D3D9 gives me massive improvements in frame rates.

I will try the D3D7 client and see how it behaves there.