News Contact lost with 777-200ER of Malaysia Airlines

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Looks like a part of a flap of a larger aircraft, but I couldn't tell if its a 777 part.

The ocean currents though travel in different directions, so its pretty unlikely a part of MH370.

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
It looks like it has (or had) green primer on it, on the interior of the fitting on the end. It looks like the rest of the aluminum was worn clean and oxidized.

From what I understand Boeing uses BMS-10-11 green primer on exposed aluminum parts. Airbus anodizes IIRC.

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

Looks to be a Boeing 777 flaperon

unbenannt.png

Some noise on Twitter and AirLive about Boeing confirming this to be a B777 part, only candidate aircraft is MH370.

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

AP is stating that an unidentified "Boeing investigator" has identifed it conclusively as a B777 part.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ca0fe9f3e1c34132894f28433992b9fb/us-official-debris-photo-belongs-boeing-777

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Actually, it looks like they travel from the search area off Australia, right past the island where this was found:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d5/Indian_Ocean_Gyre.png

I also thought so at first from my memory about the Indian ocean currents, but while writing the post, I found out that the surface currents are vastly different than the deeper currents, because of the changing winds, thats one important anomaly of the South Equatorial Current in the Indian Ocean. If you look at current satellite data, the surface currents around Reunion are South-to-North right now.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

movieman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The 657BB part number found on it is for a 777 flaperon leading edge panel, and there's only one aircraft known to have lost two of them in the Indian Ocean. Hopefully there's still a serial number somewhere that can positively link it to MH370.

Edit: Actually, looks like that part number is specific to one side of the aircraft, so there's only one matching part known to have been lost in the Indian Ocean. From what I've read, the external serial number was on a damaged part, so they may have to dismantle it to look for other numbers inside and match them to manufacturing records.

Last edited:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
If that photo is legitmate then we my have a breakthrough in the hunt for MH370.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Barnacles will be "no help" in determining MH370 location

stream_img.jpg

Barnacles attached to a piece of debris which could be part of MH370 are old enough to fit with the timeline of when the plane went down, an expert has said.

Marine biologist Dr Phillip Cowie told ITV News he believed they were goose-necked barnacles which are usually found in tropical waters.

From looking at photographs, Dr Cowie said some of them appeared to be adults, which can range from a few months to a year old. Flight MH370 has been missing since it took off on March 8, 2014.

But unless the species turn out to be rare, the barnacles are unlikely to help with any indication as to where the rest of the wreckage might be.

"The point of origin is difficult to pinpoint unless they are a very uncommon species," said Dr Cowie.

"The nature of these barnacles is that they are often spread across a very wide area, so sadly they may not be of much use in determining much else."

Source: http://www.itv.com/news/story/2015-07-29/reunion-island-wreckage-investigated-for-mh370-link/

There still isn't confirmation that this is part of MH370, that is expected to come sometime tomorrow.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
More debris comes ashore at Reunion Island.

A Chinese water bottle and an Indonesian cleaning product have washed ashore.

2AFBF2ED00000578-3180957-image-m-4_1438328412783.jpg
2AFBF2F800000578-3180957-image-a-5_1438328426415.jpg

A Chinese water bottle and an Indonesian cleaning product have washed up on the Indian Ocean island where suspected plane wreckage from MH370 was found, it was reported today.
Most of those on board the doomed plane were Chinese, adding further weight to speculation the wing flap found on Wednesday belongs to the missing Malaysian Airlines flight.

Source and more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bris-wing-flap-set-flown-France-analysis.html

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Now, that's getting a bit insane.

I don't want to say it but do journalists know how much trash ships simply dump into the ocean instead of properly disposing it on shore?

Also, I sure as hell travel in an airliner with my Indonesian cleaning agent - I like spending hours with coffee, cookies and Homeland Security agents.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
That point has been raised and the bottles in question are in rather good condition :)

Currently the French are search the waters around Reunion Island for any more debris.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Now, that's getting a bit insane.

I don't want to say it but do journalists know how much trash ships simply dump into the ocean instead of properly disposing it on shore?

Also, I sure as hell travel in an airliner with my Indonesian cleaning agent - I like spending hours with coffee, cookies and Homeland Security agents.

Agreed. Take an ocean voyage, go out on deck, and look down into the water. Out in the middle of the ocean you will see floating garbage of all sorts, and it may have originated tens of thousands of miles away. The ocean is not infinite but we dump trash into it as if it were.

Unless an item of debris is an aircraft part or can be specifically identifed with one of the passengers or cargoes on the manifest, it truly could have come from anywhere.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
The suspected MH370 Debris is on board another 777 being flown to France. This is flight AFR671 and should land around 04:00 BST Saturday. We should have an answer late Saturday if this is part of MH370 or not.

The flight can be tracked here -> http://www.flightradar24.com/AFR671/

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score

Could be from the cabin service lockers. After all, you would want to clean up a mess promptly.