CEV Orion, 606 update

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
606-4.JPG

I started updating the CEV-Orion, as the current developments show quite a different service module (SM) and RCS thruster concept. Although it is 'just' a different SM it requires modifying all thrusters, repositioning the command module (because the mass-center has changed), new skirt to the Ares 1 launcher, etc.
____

I am trying to use simple materials (without textures) for smaller metal parts, like RCS nozzles, but I am not quite happy with them. They look more or less like shiny plastic, not metal.

Could someone please give me some tips on good settings for metal material (color, specular level, glossiness)? I am using Gmax, but material settings should be the same, regardless of the modelling program.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Texturing is the best way.

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here is what I usually use:

Ambient 0.3
Diffuse 0.7
Specular 0.1
Emissive 0
Rough: 16.757
Brilliance: 1

R: 130 H 0
G: 130 S 0
B: 130 L 122

Trans is set to 1.

Hope that helps.

Therius

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'm glad to see you are still working on the Orion craft. I'll be anxious to see how it turns out. I've enjoyed your other mods. Take your time! It's looking good so far. :speakcool:

Cale

Reaction score
Will there be a VC for this model as well? If so, any chance of being able to at least access the MFD's?

Thanks!

Cale

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
1) Brad, thanks for the tips on the metal material!

2) Actually the VC was already enabled in the previous version,
but you can only look around, there are no panels.
Recently info was published on the arrangement of the MFDs.
I will have a look into it, but that will be after the basic update.

3) Thanks for encouraging comments!
____
Question (well, this is a developer forum, after all ;) )
Is it more effective to have several small textures, which are loaded as required, or one big texture, which is kept in memory?
The 'standard' vessels like the DG use a few large textures (with 256 x 256 pixel), while addons often use smaller textures.

The reason why I am so much after low-poly and economic texture modeling is, the CEV will seldom be used alone, but often in conjuncton with other vessels (ISS, LSAM, mars ships, etc.) It shall be realistic and good looking, but shall not slow down the performance of a bigger stack.

I am grateful to any tips how to improve the graphcial performance of this vessel.

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hot Damn! I've been waiting eagerly for this one a long time. Thanks for updating this, Sir Francis Drake!

Cheers-
MT

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
It's really looking good francisdrake!

I really like the contrast between the black tip of the nose and metal. The windows accentuate this as well.

I was under the impression that it's better to use several smaller textures than a larger one in terms of CPU usage. However, in experiments I haven't seen a significant fps drop when I've used several 512x512 textures with multiple small ones, too. This is with several delta-gliders and dragonflies docked as well.

I'm curious about others' experience with this issue.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
606-5.JPG

Laucher integration is going on, shown here is the LAS and fairing separation.

On the inside I opted for the black carbon-fibre supporting structure shown on some pictures on the internet (instead of the aluminum pipes).
For the moment I use only 2 payload fairing segments (instead of 3 commonly shown), because of easier programming code (this may change later).

Next step will be updating all the weight and thrust figures,
and making the auxillary thrusters work.

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is just fanstatic. Excellent work!

Cale

Reaction score
Hi Franz,

That's really coming along nicely:)

Will the CEV itself be compatible with Simcosmos' Direct SDLV version 0.2? The pic you've show looks like it's from Ares I.

Cheers,

Cale

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
Looks like some cool stuff going on here. Do you have plans on updating the LSAM "Artemis?"

Cale

Reaction score
Hi Franz,

Just wondering, are there any plans by yourself or Antonio to make the CEV UMMU-compatible? It would be very cool to be able to transfer astronauts from the CEV to/from the ISS or other vessels.

Cheers,

Cale

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
CEV for Direct SDLV: Yes, it will be compatible. It depends on Simcosmos (who has already made a 'modern' service module) which one he wants to use.

UMMU: An interesting idea. I downloaded the UMMU-pack recently, and it looks very professsional, like all work by Dansteph. If there is a wide interest on making the CEV UMMU-compatible, I can consider it for the to-do list :)
___
- Auxillary thrusters working, on-off by key command 'A' (but no sound; I did not assign a thruster group to them. Anyone knows, if this is required to get the thruster-sound?)

- Weight, thrust, ISP of the CEV: Set.
I guess I have to update the Ares 1 data as well, that is downgrading them.
Currently my launcher lofts the fully fueled CEV in a comfortable orbit, with 5% fuel left in the launchers second stage. Probably the margin should be narrower.

- Next steps:
Tidy up textures and meshes. Because of the heritage of several older version I have many different materials and textures, this needs some cleanup.

Cale

Reaction score
Franz, will the 606 CEV be lunar-capable...ie. able to perform both LOI and TEI burns itself?

Glad to hear you'll consider using the UMMU..the base mesh looks very nice..not quite as bulky as the Apollo style suits, but not too futuristic either..looking forward to seeing it:)

Also glad to hear that it'll be compatible with Direct...am using that addon right now and am enjoying it far more than Ares I. I hope NASA and the politicians change their minds. Also hoping that when Mikey refines his LaunchCEV MFD (which I can't get to work on my system), it'll be able to use different spacecraft other than Ares...I really like the idea of the auto-reentry feature (his AutoFCS is brilliant).

Cheers,

Cale

Last edited:

mikey451

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Franz,

while you're re-doing, would love a hook to a flight director on the virtual HUD. Cale, I am in fact working on a generic version of LaunchCEV, which isn't, btw, currently an MFD, though may be in the future. Would sure be nice if there was a straight-forward way of drawing on the VC HUD.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
Mikey, I can embed your code if you like. Currently I am only drawing short messages on the HUD (to confirm key commands). I can send you the code if you like.
Just would like to make sure that if no autopilot-program is selected (via the scenario file) the flight director stays quiet.

On the long run making an MFD would allow the user to interact directly with the autopilot (for example to select a docking program, etc.). I am thinking of making a kind of 'CEV system MFD' in the future, and here the autopilot could be a page.
___
The CEV by itself is not lunar capable. It needs a separate TLI stage to boost it to the moon, and an LOI stage for the capture burn (the LSAM would provide that). The CEV is capable of returning from lunar orbit with its own engines.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
This looks beutiful, well done. My only question is, Will you make the VC in high detail, Like MFD's that are on the Default Space Shuttle Atlantis, and buttons and such, that makes it high in detail, If you want, I can find a concept photo of the CEV's interior.

Heres a few concepts.
graf13.jpg

This is the basic design for the Interior of the CEV, were the astronauts are to sit, and to work, its
sorta like the Apollo. Also, they will be flying in the same suits worn for the Space Shuttle.