CEV Orion, 606 update

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I have also found a pdf on the proposed format of the MFDs in the CEV. It will be very similar to the MEDS in the Shuttle, but uses the CAU (Cockpit Avionics Upgrade) software as starting point, which is more visual as the original Shuttle software.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I have also found a pdf on the proposed format of the MFDs in the CEV. It will be very similar to the MEDS in the Shuttle, but uses the CAU (Cockpit Avionics Upgrade) software as starting point, which is more visual as the original Shuttle software.

Wow, thats really something, can you post the link to it? Thanks.
:speakcool:

simcosmos

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
simcosmos.planetaclix.pt
CEV for Direct SDLV: Yes, it will be compatible. It depends on Simcosmos (who has already made a 'modern' service module) which one he wants to use.

(...)

- Weight, thrust, ISP of the CEV: Set.
I guess I have to update the Ares 1 data as well, that is downgrading them.
Currently my launcher lofts the fully fueled CEV in a comfortable orbit, with 5% fuel left in the launchers second stage. Probably the margin should be narrower.

Hi all

Of course that, when the time comes, will gladly provide proper integration for this new CEV606 ;).

Beyond that, might still have to use my own custom service module implementation (as seen in past simcosmos' flickr images) with perhaps some kind of integration with your CM - if you are still ok with that (or else will use a dummy CM) - if finding out that need to have preciser control on some specific CEV properties / design aspects as well better control on related integration with other of my addon components (for the simulation of specific mission designs).

About AresI specs

Quick notes:

1) Franz, I'm updating (visual + performance) my previous AresI work (dev20070107 on OHM): SRB / US masses + J-2X specs + ALAS, etc + including some margins to work around the SRB oscillations... Then will see what kind of performance get and see if need to implement some extra upgrades to meet given injection goals for the lunar missions (ISS missions should be 'just' a matter of offloading the CEV SM)… Maybe will share a preview of AresI (+AresV) in a next occasion... But can't advance release dates (currently *directly* occupied, also with other stuff). However, if wanting to have a first order idea of the kind of values that might be tried in dev sessions here, I could try to send you an email about that (once more, not really sure when could do it, have my hands full with other stuff).

2) I believe (but might be wrong?) that you were using 4 segment SRB + SSME upper stage performance with the AresIdev20070107 3D models: things might get slightly more difficult when moving to a J-2 derived engine performance in the upper stage (even if using a 5 segment SRB), depending of additional AresI-Orion assumptions (when looking at the pair as a system).

This to say that trajectory tweaking (guidance) as well the coordination of key ascent events will assume a more important role now:

2.1) Without a SSME class thrust readily available after SRB separation (and/or if constraining SRB flight envelope – read apogee – for eventual recovery), we must use gravity at our favour, in the second part of the ascent, by reaching a first apogee with the upper stage and then by letting the stage to go down a few good Km (and burn some propellants) until the single J-2X has enough thrust to compensate for the gravity losses.

2.2) To jettison non needed mass as soon as possible also helps: I'm referring to the CEV's SM covers and, after that, to the launch abort system. The longer they stay with the upper stage, the higher will be the performance hit (have some notes about it, there are also pdf in NASA's Technical Report Server)

3) Still about performance implementation, the first stage needs a proper thrust curve or else it will end up overpowered (do not remember if you have implemented one in the first dll): I have used Vinka's multistage.dll guidance to simulate something like that (together with tweaked burn parameter in the INI file >> have meanwhile updated the SRB specs available in dev20070107)

Only giving some suggestions for your cool work :cheers:
António

mikey451

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Mikey, I can embed your code if you like. Currently I am only drawing short messages on the HUD (to confirm key commands). I can send you the code if you like.
Just would like to make sure that if no autopilot-program is selected (via the scenario file) the flight director stays quiet.

On the long run making an MFD would allow the user to interact directly with the autopilot (for example to select a docking program, etc.). I am thinking of making a kind of 'CEV system MFD' in the future, and here the autopilot could be a page.

Was thinking of a Class-specific variable that we could pass - perhaps its own class that you call to read, and I'd call to write. I could spec out the symbol itself for you - currently I use a simple inverted "V" - Pitch and Yaw Error are given by vertical and horizontal displacement from the attitude reference symbol, and Roll Error is given by rotation of the symbol. For translational guidance, I use a bar which nests below the inverted "V" - left/right and up/down are horizontal and vertical displacements, and in/out is the size of the bar. The class variable would be a structure, with doubles (or ints) for Roll, Pitch, Yaw, X, Y, and Z Errors, plus a Mode Byte. The Mode Byte could indicate Translational and or Rotational Modes, or No Mode - this would ensure the "quiet flight director" when nothing is there to write to it. Now that I think of it, I could develop the Class structure, you'd simply have to read from it, and draw the symbols on the HUD during the HUD Update Callback. I've already done the work of programming the guidance, at least for STS, DG, and (previous) CEV, to include launch, rendezvous/proximity/docking, and re-entry ops. How tough could it be? :)

Marsman321

Reaction score
Nice Work. One note-
The Ares I injection orbit with the 606c Orion is -11x100 nmi. Orion must then circularize and raise the orbit.

mikey451

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yep, this is what LaunchCEV does - the purpose of those parameters is to tailor the Upper Stage splashdown point.

Cale

Reaction score
The CEV by itself is not lunar capable. It needs a separate TLI stage to boost it to the moon, and an LOI stage for the capture burn (the LSAM would provide that). The CEV is capable of returning from lunar orbit with its own engines.

Yeah, I knew that an EDS stage was necessary for performing the TLI burn, but just didn't know which stage would perform the LOI. According to the specs on NASA's Orion webpage, the current CEV is capable of ~1800 m/s of delta V. I was pretty sure that wouldn't be enough to do both LOI and TEI. I've seen the proposed Ares I/Ares V flightplan and it showed the EDS being jettisoned after TLI. So using the LSAM's descent stage for the LOI burn makes sense.

With regards to Ryan's comment about a VC with all the bells & whistles, dunno if that's as big a deal for me...as long as the MFD's were accessible. Something along the lines of what AMSO has (pretty decent eye-candy but zero functionality) would be ok.

BTW, Mikey, I think the problems I've been having with LaunchCEV may be more related to the CEV...that message I described to you on the screen in cockpit mode shows up whenever I switched focus to the CEV. Too bad, would have liked to test that puppy. Based on your previous work, it'll be fantastic.

Speaking of that error message, Franz, do you know what this message means in the Virtual HUD:

TERNAME=OWNER-139E3C5A1
Proceed Y/N?

Cheers,

Cale

Last edited:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
This thread is speeding up a lot :)
Interior: Actually I think of re-modelling the CM, as the window shapes have changed, and modifying a complex mesh is nearly as tedious as making it new. When doing this I'd like to include some interior as well. Currently I am using DeltaGlider seats etc.
I you coudl provide me some pics or links showing the interior, that wold be very helpful.
At a later stage I would like to populate the interior with a simple panel, just with 2 MFDs side-by-side.

Thanks for the link to MFD document. That is an interesting study!

Antonio, your right, I used data for an SSME for the second stage. Now I changed that to a J-2X, with considerable lower ISP, so reaching orbit is much more challenging now.

Currently there is no need for more Ares 1 data, I am rather concentrating on the CEV itself. The launcher is not quite accurate, but I can live with that for the moment :)

Mikey, that sounds vey good! If you can provide me with the code, I will try to integrate it. If you also have a HUD-drawing procedure please include it as a sample, this saves me figuring out how to draw an inclined inverted V *g*.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

mikey451

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well I am, and it looks reasonably good, at first glance. My inverted V is actually a tad simpler, since it just involves two lines. Will dust off the code and send it to you by COB tomorrow...

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
I am trying to put together a very first test version on the weekend :) for beta release.
Question: Do you mind if I use the existing name "CEV-Orion" for the folder structure?
Actually I consider it an update of the Orion, not a new addon.

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am trying to put together a very first test version on the weekend :) for beta release.
Question: Do you mind if I use the existing name "CEV-Orion" for the folder structure?

That is a perfect name.. Or "CEV-Orion606" would work.

FlyGirl

Reaction score
Website
s209.photobucket.com
I look forward to trying it out. I have been enjoying your first CEV package a great deal lately. :speakcool:

mikey451

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Code to Draw FD on the HUD

Franz,

Here 'tis (draft code, not tested fully)

------------------------------------------------
void SomeClass::DrawFlightDirector(HDC hDC) {

// On input, the following variables are assumed to exist:
// int g_CEVHUD.width reference display width (pixels)
// int g_CEVHUD.height reference display height (pixels)
// double g_Data.RErr Roll Error (radians)
// double g_Data.PErr Pitch Error (radians)
// double g_Data.YErr Yaw Error (radians)
// double g_Data.XErr Left Error (display radians)
// double g_Data.YErr Down Error (display radians)
// double g_Data.ZErr Out Error (display radians, scaled so that zero error is six degrees)
// WORD g_Data.BMode 1st bit = Rotational Mode, 2nd bit = Translational Mode
// hDC Device Drawing Context
#define RAD 0.017453292519943295769236907684886 // (Radians Per Degree)

if(!g_Data.BMode) return; // exit if no flight director mode
int w = g_CEVHUD.width;
int h = g_CEVHUD.height;
double Sx = (double) h / oapiCameraAperture(); // Scale, pixels per radian
double Sy = Sx;

double sr, cr, xx, yy, x1, y1, x2, y2, x3, y3;
int xs1, ys1, xs2, ys2, xs3, ys3;

SelectDefaultPen (hDC, 2);

// Draw Rotational Flight Director

if(g_Data.BMode & 0x01) {
sr = -sin(g_Data.RErr); // sine roll angle
cr = cos(g_Data.RErr); // cosine roll angle
xx = -3.0*RAD+g_Data.YErr; // First Point (Left Wing)
yy = -3.0*RAD+g_Data.PErr;
x1 = xx*cr-yy*sr;
y1 = xx*sr+yy*cr;
xs1 = w/2+(int) (x1*Sx);
ys1 = h/2-(int) (y1*Sy);
xx = g_Data.YErr; // Second Point (Apex)
yy = g_Data.PErr;
x2 = xx*cr-yy*sr;
y2 = xx*sr+yy*cr;
xs2 = w/2+(int) (x2*Sx);
ys2 = h/2-(int) (y2*Sy);
xx = 3.0*RAD+g_Data.YErr; // Third Point (Right Wing)
yy = -3.0*RAD+g_Data.PErr;
x3 = xx*cr-yy*sr;
y3 = xx*sr+yy*cr;
xs3 = w/2+(int) (x3*Sx);
ys3 = h/2-(int) (y3*Sy);
MoveToEx(hDC,xs1,ys1,NULL);
LineTo( hDC,xs2,ys2);
MoveToEx(hDC,xs2,ys2,NULL);
LineTo( hDC,xs3,ys3);
}

// Draw Translational Flight Director

if(g_Data.BMode & 0x02) {

x1 = g_Data.XErr-0.5*g_Data.ZErr;
y1 = g_Data.YErr;
xs1 = w/2+(int)(x1*Sx);
ys1 = h/2-(int)(y1*Sy);
x2 = g_Data.XErr+0.5*g_Data.ZErr;
y2 = g_Data.YErr;
xs2 = w/2+(int)(x2*Sx);
ys2 = h/2-(int)(y2*Sy);
MoveToEx(hDC,xs1,ys1,NULL);
LineTo( hDC,xs2,ys2);
}

}

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
Public beta released

To give you something to play with, I publish a very early test version ;)
Download from:
http://home.arcor.de/francisdrakex/download/CEV-Orion-0e.zip
744 kB

It is rough early version, but runs when I tried it on a clean Orbiter installation. If you have already installed an earlier CEV version I suggest to clean out the "Scenarios/CEV-Orion" folder first, because I re-numbered the scenarios (only two are included right now).

The capsule mesh needs some re-shaping, textures are placed in the main texture folder (not in a specific vessel folder). Reentry-stream is much too big (don't know really why). Code has no new features yet.

You may give it a try and do some testing. Please give me some feedback on the visual appearance and the flight behaviour.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Reentry-stream is much too big (don't know really why).
I believe Orbiter uses the Size=() parameter to set the size of the re-entry flame and pstream. Make sure you have it set at a reasonable number for the CEV-CM.

FlyGirl

Reaction score
Website
s209.photobucket.com
Very nice. I'll see if I can give it a test run this evening.

To give you something to play with, I publish a very early test version ;)
Download from:
http://home.arcor.de/francisdrakex/download/CEV-Orion-0e.zip
744 kB

It is rough early version, but runs when I tried it on a clean Orbiter installation. If you have already installed an earlier CEV version I suggest to clean out the "Scenarios/CEV-Orion" folder first, because I re-numbered the scenarios (only two are included right now).

The capsule mesh needs some re-shaping, textures are placed in the main texture folder (not in a specific vessel folder). Reentry-stream is much too big (don't know really why). Code has no new features yet.

You may give it a try and do some testing. Please give me some feedback on the visual appearance and the flight behaviour.

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
THANK YOU!... Well give it a good run tonight and report back.

Opie

Reaction score
I have found a couple bugs

The hatch animation for both the orbital configuration and the CM only configuration is incorrect. On the orbital config, the hatch does not even move, instead the thruster port textures move. With the CM only the hatch moves in through the CM and comes out the other side.

Also the thruster texture locations in the CM only are not aligned properly with the texture for the ports