Vessel Boeing 747Z

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
By all means, I'm no aircraft designer.

But the inner elevators shouldn't be merged (P-38 style) to save the joint wing from some of the (huge) twisting forces?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
By all means, I'm no aircraft designer.

But the inner elevators shouldn't be merged (P-38 style) to save the joint wing from some of the (huge) twisting forces?

Could also be useful to split them to reduce the effects of turbulence.

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
What kind of runway would this land on?! The A380 pushes the limits at many airports in terms of width, I'm guessing this thing would be extremely limited on the airports it could actually land on?

Thinking about it, that massive offset from the pilot's position to the centreline of the aircraft would create some very interesting problems both for landing and taxiing...

Item number 22 in that .pdf seems to suggest a very unrealistic cost for the project... :lol:

With regards to the tail:
Torsional loads can be minimized by means of active load alleviation control operating differentially on the ailerons and the two independent horizontal tails.

Interesting if this would be any easier with modern fly-by-wire kind of stuff.

Last edited:

Graham2001

Reaction score
The closest I can get to that time period is a report dating from 1980, where Boeing discussed various fuel saving modifications, most of what's discussed eventually ended up in the 747-400 in one form or another.

Summary Report - Selective Advanced Aerodynamics and Active Controls Technology Concepts Development on a derivative B-747 aircraft. (1980)

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19830018560.pdf

Final Report - Selective Advanced Aerodynamics and Active Controls Technology Concepts Development on a derivative B-747 aircraft. (1980)

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19820024470.pdf

And so that this behemoth has something a little different to do..

Preliminary study of tug-glider freight systems utilizing a Boeing 747 as the tug

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19770011174.pdf

In the study they recommended the Aspect 14 Glider over the Aspect 25.

Attachments

• Aspect_Ratio_14_Cargo_Glider.png
    Aspect_Ratio_14_Cargo_Glider.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Aspect_Ratio_25_Cargo_Glider.png
    Aspect_Ratio_25_Cargo_Glider.png
    97.3 KB · Views: 14

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
What kind of runway would this land on?! The A380 pushes the limits at many airports in terms of width, I'm guessing this thing would be extremely limited on the airports it could actually land on?

Salt deserts, at that time. =P

The largest airstrip nowadays has 5.5Km (Qando Banda). But since this airport is circa 15.000 feets above the sea level, I doubt such a monster would be able to take off from there.

All the others has circa 4Km length. Of course, I'm ignoring the tarmac strength.

The document says that most airports would not sustain the wingspan, but some would. And that the full loaded aircraft would need only 5% more runway than the 747. With similar load, the catamaran would need 40% less runway, due the larger wings and more engine power.

Thinking about it, that massive offset from the pilot's position to the centreline of the aircraft would create some very interesting problems both for landing and taxiing...

Not in a salt desert. :)

With regards to the tail:
Torsional loads can be minimized by means of active load alleviation control operating differentially on the ailerons and the two independent horizontal tails.

At that time? I'm not sure a fully digital computerized system would be feasible. The F-16 (first FbW fighter) were operational since 1974, but the first commercial airplane got it only in 2005.

It would be for sure an analog computer system, what would offer few (or none) proactive assistance to the pilot.

Interesting if this would be any easier with modern fly-by-wire kind of stuff.

The B-2 Spirit proves that you can fly a brick with proper computer aid!

Last edited: