BBC - Wonders of the Solar System

SilvaHeed

Reaction score
Just watched the last of the series, and I just have to say BRAVO!

This was a very entertaining series for a space enthusiast like me, and to a complete novice like my wife. The viewing figures for this series seems to point to a large audience for a science program, and an exceptional audience for and astronomy program.

I hope it's opened up astronomy to a whole new crowd, and help to dispel a rather depressingly large amount of ignorance of our Universe and our place in it.

Let's hope it helps others to share the fascination and wonder of the Universe that infuses my life (and no doubt other's of this forum).
Personally, my boyhood interest of astronomy has led to a life of science reading and enlightenment which has given me immense pleasure, and what I call my "cosmic perspective" view of things.

The BBC at it's very best!

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Agreed, a cracking series.
What the BBC can do well, when its not trying to chase ITV down the ratings.

Hopefully Prof. Cox can do another, maybe more depth on his subject?

N.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have only seen one on TV - the one about Io, but I have seen all the others bar the final one on iPlayer, and it is easily one of the best programmes I have seen - very inspiring. I missed the final one as I was outside with the telescope, ironically.

Also, Patrick Moore had a brief feature in Dr. Who.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Patrick Moore, he gets around! Not sure if he has benen knighted, but he should be.

N.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Patrick Moore, he gets around! Not sure if he has benen knighted, but he should be.

N.

I agree - he holds the record for the longest TV program with the same presenter - he was the BBC commentator for Apollo, and he is still on TV :)

Also, he has been knighted.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing this series out! I would have missed it otherwise. Very good, very good series.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
I've been watching this series every week - very interesting and educational!

bujin

Reaction score
Great series. I will have to catch up on the last episode on iPlayer later though.

I saw a Daily Mail article last week discussing the series. In typical DM fashion, though, it completely ignored any science and spent several hundred words just discussing what a good looking bloke Prof. Cox is, and oooh, did you know he used to be in a band?

Still, if it gets people interested in science, even indirectly, then great! :thumbup:

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I just watched the last episode - is it definite now that there is a liquid ocean on Europa?

Reaction score
A great series. Whilst searching for references to this online, I came across a great parody on Youtube which had me splitting my sides. I won't post the link because the clip contains bad language and is 'NSFW', but it 'takes off' Brian Cox and the subject matter in a very entertaining way.