Update Arrow Freighter version 2012 updated (screenshots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
And update:

It search also for gbody name without status in skin and then default directory:
"3ScreenAmbiance_Jupiter.dds"

This allow to make only one source for a body. (example: "3ScreenAmbiance_Deimo.dds" )

And when there is no gBody at all: (again first in skin then in default)
"3ScreenAmbiance_DeepSpace.dds"

Last edited:

Marvin42

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You once said some ideas for example A 3d radar, a bar, captain's chamber. Maybe, maybe in next update?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
What's special about the romance of the Arrow Freighter. A lot of folks seem to get all riled up over it.

For me it allows me to do something in orbiter that previously was limited to an art drawing in a sci-fi book.

And that is to be able to explore another world, turn around and see this huge ship sitting there on the regolith and to think that it's travelled all that way just so I could stick my foot in the dust and thats space romance right there.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Excellent!

Dan, will these new roof images be triggered by the actual SOI?
How does the ship decide which images to show?

Matrix Aran

Reaction score
For me it allows me to do something in orbiter that previously was limited to an art drawing in a sci-fi book.

And that is to be able to explore another world, turn around and see this huge ship sitting there on the regolith and to think that it's travelled all that way just so I could stick my foot in the dust and thats space romance right there.

And if that romance doesn't get you fired up, there's the purely practical. Out of all the ships in orbiter, there are very few mother-ships, ships that you can dock your LEO vessel to, and then take off an explore somewhere else.

The arrow might be a stretch of the imagination but its a solid ship with a very well put together virtual cockpit (one of a very few), it can carry cargo and it plays nicely with just about anything you dock to it, even during engine burns.

Not to mention docking an XR2 to an Arrow is a rather fun exercise :)

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Excellent!
Dan, will these new roof images be triggered by the actual SOI?
How does the ship decide which images to show?

See first this post About the 3 roof "random ambiance" screen

And then this one wich explain how the images are choosen: About source image

And I still need help to grab 256x170 image... it take age to me to do so I can do only a few while we could have a lot of moon done. :hello:

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Very Exciting!

Will there be more internal structure opened up in the VC, like other MFD pits to the left & right of the main one?

Appart the two new MFD on the right screen no major change on this part.
Complex system (power managment etc. etc.) is still in mind but not for this release.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Would you be interested in seeing some concept ideas for those internal rooms? Ie, like a few meshes built in anm8or?

Keatah

Reaction score
Immersion tweaks such as this are the next big thing in orbiter.

Proximus

Reaction score
Looking really good Dan! I love this bird, the ideas and possibilities of the Arrow are endless.

:cheers:

boyan3001

Reaction score
@Dan

Great job you do, thanks!

May I propose somthing for that screens and textures?
Could it be wise to do (you or someone else) a .PSD template for that mosaic? What I mean, when screens are in moon/object mode, they can have some overlayed minimalistic GUI/info over the image. This thing sholud be standardized (by you), so all images that are showen looks like they are under the same GUI.
The idea can be expanded to more complex system. So, lets say, 8 of 24 images, when ship is in orbit, are images of terrain from orbit, and that type of image should have some grid overlay. Other type can be images taken on ground by some rover vehicle, and they should have different overlay, like center crosshair, or somthing similar.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This thing sholud be standardized (by you), so all images that are showen looks like they are under the same GUI.

Completely unnecessary. It's just background eye-candy, ant it doesn't take long to learn how to make your own. For each skin you can have 2 for each body + one for the Sun. If someone would start making those 1024x1024 bitmaps, this update may arrive quicker by a few tuesdays. :lol:

You can check out the screens in NASA's control rooms and expand on that.

Keatah

Reaction score
What about internal surveillance camera pictures?

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Will some of those screens be like the Discovery from 2001: A Space Odyssey, which had some screens being one-color backgrounds with random three letters on them?

Keatah

Reaction score
Maybe we can pipe videos through one of the screens and watch movies like Aliens and stuff and we can get all creepy.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
What about internal surveillance camera pictures?

Work in progress of course that could not be avoided.

Generic default land: (Not real size)

2012Arrow13.jpg

I must say the result in term of ambiance in the VC over-rock !!!!

And I still need help to make more ;)
3-4 guy could have that done in few day for major bodies while I work on other features and model. One or two per guy take only a few hours.
Even sending me pictures already cut and sized to 256x170 of all major bodies would help me a lot. (jupiter, mars, phobos, europa, venus etc etc)

:sos:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.