Update Arrow Freighter version 2012 updated (screenshots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keatah

Reaction score
What's special about the romance of the Arrow Freighter. A lot of folks seem to get all riled up over it. I must be missing something, please explain. I have provided you a free blank sheet of paper on which to do so.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Uh, I don't know...the superb, almost creepy ambiance? The sheer power? The fact that you can burn the main engines for an hour and a half? The feeling of landing something probably the size of a Spruance-class destroyer?

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
About the 3 roof "random ambiance" screen

Code just worked for the first time (Yeepee) so here are some info:

Imagine as in 2001 space odyssey screens that display, datas, tech schema, survey cam, various instruments, space or planet picture etc.
Of course all image will be fake (no real data) but enough in topic to really add to the immersion.

One image worth thousand...

2012Arrow10.jpg

2012Arrow11.jpg

in automatic: (default)

• Random change delay change can be set by button (short delay, mid, long)
  • Size of each screen is 256*170, source image is 1024x1024 and contain 24 images.
  • Source image will be 2*24 image=48 different images.
  • 24 will be displayed when landed, 24 in space, so each phase have some kind of "in topic" image. (Landed can show planetary image, geodesic data etc. etc., space can show trajectory etc. etc.)
  • Image does not repeat until all the 24 have been shown.

in manual: (selectable by button)

• You click on each screen to cycle & select the one you want in the 24.
  • You can also set each screen off.

And finally the two 1024x1024 source image will be first searched in the skin directory. This mean that you can not only skin the hull and VC BUT also the 48 images.

If anyone want to help grabbing images and make the source mosaïc it would immensely help.
As this is very time consumming I would be able to add more "in context" source for example one special context when approaching major destination (jupiter, mars, venus etc. etc.) Imagine aproaching Mars and having screens displaying images of Mars, topological data... that would be NEAT ! Contact me if you feel you can do a good job (quality must be maximum and image wisely selected for this special use, I would explain exactly how it work)

In brief make that, one source image with 24 screen (Work in progress hence the 3 repetition of screens )

3ScreenAmbianceLanded.jpg

About Skins

Texture will be first searched in the selected skin directory and if not found the default will be used. This mean that you can skin only the hull, part of the hull, only the VC or part of and a mix of all those.
As said above the same apply also for the ambiance screen. You can provide the "24 landed" source or/and the "24 space" source.

You can therefore make complete skin including hull, VC, and the 48 "ambiance" images.

And image of all texture that can be skinned:

2012Arrow12.jpg

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wicked Major update man. Hope it gets released soon cause it Was my birthday yesturday

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
Perhaps the picture can be changed dynamically? I mean like the engine view and temperature would change according to the thrust level and stuff, but the picture code perhaps has to be modulated to accommodate this, but adds the realism level :D

Or if someone is crazy enough, use a .gif? :lol:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Perhaps the picture can be changed dynamically? I mean like the engine view and temperature would change according

That's out of scope of ambiance screen. This should reflect the view of real system and would require a lot more coding. For the next version probably. To be realistic ambiance screen should remain vague, a gif (that Orbiter doesn't support) that show engine temp increasing while they are stopped would spoil all the effect for example.

What I can do and that would be really nice is a collection of "in topic" image for all the major moon of Orbiter (When entering SOI). Aproaching phobos, Venus, Europe or Io and having topological and moon image on screen would add a lot to the ambiance and pleasure of being there.

But in no way can I do 24*20= 480 or even 24*10=240 image alone. I definitively need help to collect image for this feature.
Even a basic collection of moons images already resized to 256x170 would help. (Making the mosaïc isn't the biggest work, choosing cuting and resizing the image is)

Dan

Last edited:

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
Really like those screens - I've always thought you have the most tasteful sensibility out of all the major addon devs.

Marvin42

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Will it support programs with autopilots like the DGIV? Can it have a lift also for Cargo, not only for rover? Could we have the engine's power on the left board/pannel not in the center like is now, and the autopilots and ship's internal systems (something like DGIV has on the lower pannel) in the center (I would like to control engines and MFD's by mouse but it's a little hard to push more thrust, look at left for mfds, again right for power, stop engines, again look left for mfds, so i can manually get a perfect excentric orbit using only mouse)?
BTW, I have to spend less time in that ship so I don't have to buy flowers every weekend anymore (you know, you can't go to Jupiter and in the park in same time, although with the new windows 8 for tablets, maybe, maybe :d)

Last edited:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Will it support programs with autopilots like the DGIV? Can it have a lift also for Cargo, not only for rover?...

Short answer: no sorry.

I've updated about all my addons and I work on it since weeks so I have to stop at a point to expect that the meaning tuesday come one day.

The new features & textures is enough for this release. The arrow become a full Orbiter vessel and not only a nice technology (UCGO cargo) demo.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Very good one. Normal maps would get it even further, I think it could look ultra-nice on that kind of vessel ;)

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
UPDATE & NEWS

Ok, I've done the new system that allow to have hundred of images displayed on the ambiance screens (see this post above about ambiance screen)
At least it exist, now we only need the images.

The system:

-First it seek in the current skin directory about the source image with status and G body name:

"YourSkin\3ScreenAmbianceFlight_Moon.dds"

or
"YourSkin\3ScreenAmbianceLanded_Moon.dds"

If not found it search it in the default skin directory:

"Default\3ScreenAmbianceFlight_Moon.dds"
or
"Default\3ScreenAmbianceLanded_Moon.dds"

If still not found (without help I would done only 2-3 major body... or not) it search then about generic name first in skin directory:

"YourSkin\3ScreenAmbianceFlight.dds"
or
"YourSkin\3ScreenAmbianceLanded.dds"

And if definitivelly not found it search for generic in the default directory, those are the two that I will make at least:

"Default\3ScreenAmbianceFlight.dds"
or
"Default\3ScreenAmbianceLanded.dds"

So this alllow images for all body of Orbiter with status landed or in flight. At least about 57 body x 24 images x 2 status = 2736 images
Let's speak about ambiance image and exploration :tiphat:

I really think that aproaching Deimos or Rheas and having picture of them on the screen would definitively rock and add a lot to the immersion.

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Very Exciting!

Will there be more internal structure opened up in the VC, like other MFD pits to the left & right of the main one?

Status
Not open for further replies.