Update Arrow Freighter version 2012 updated (screenshots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I hope i'm not being too newbish in asking this... but... Where is the download link for the 2012 update for the Arrow freighter?

Its currently in development. Most quality orbiter projects tend to run through two phases, with a beta being released when the project is reasonably mature, beta testers check it for the developer, ironing out all of the little bugs not yet solved, then a 1.0 version is released on Orbithangar mods. The Arrow is currently approaching beta, but Dansteph is also updating 3 other large addons, and his DGIV at once, so I wouldnt hold my breath. I wouldnt be surprised if the final version of the arrow doesnt come till early December. Its coming it really is :yes:

marcheenek

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'm sure once that Tuesday comes, I'm taking the following day off due to sleep deprivation:)

Pythos

Reaction score
It has not been released yet. When it is I'm sure Dan will post an update here with the links to the new versions. Just be patient.

Ahh, thankyou! I was wondering because i was reading the beginning of this thread, and it sounded like it was going to be released on the 28th of May this year (everyone was speaking of Tuesday update days)

TerraMimic

Reaction score
Ahh, thankyou! I was wondering because i was reading the beginning of this thread, and it sounded like it was going to be released on the 28th of May this year (everyone was speaking of Tuesday update days)

Tuesday

Also:
Several pieces of essential equipment aboard the USS Enterprise-B, including its tractor beam and photon torpedoes, along with the ship's medical staff, were scheduled for delivery the Tuesday after its maiden voyage. (Star Trek Generations)
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Tuesday

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
Agreed! Some add-ons are like getting a new version of Orbiter. They're that good..! Yeh?

Proximus

Reaction score
I would agree with that, if Dan's updates are out before Christmas I know what I'm going to be doing over the holiday period :coffee:

Don't think the wife will be too happy tho :rolleyes:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
To explain again:

The arrow and UCGO are almost finished
aulas.gif
, it miss maybe some corrections in the doc and some small fix.

Now I wanted to give this ship (and Orbiter) 3D sound because it would be a major enhancement to VC cockpits.
So now I'm working on OrbiterSound 4.0 (3d), the problem is that I can't compile the Arrow with the old
OrbiterSound 3.5 SDK it would be idiot. So first I'll finish and release OrbiterSound 4.0, and then I'll compile all other
add-ons, (re-)start beta test (most have been tested already) and release them. This include DeltaGliderIV-3 (local light, 4MFD panel)
UCGO (brand news and stunning Arrow freighter) and UMmu (some fixes here and there)

OrbiterSound 4.0 come nicely and will be a major enhancement to Orbiter
aulas.gif
, the doc is finished & corrected and is
currently in private beta test on my forum (french part). I'll start a public beta test when I'll have solved the most critical bugs.

Sorry I don't want to give a date anymore
aulas.gif
but we might expect it's not too far as with 6 month of work all that is almost complete.
jfken.gif

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
To explain again:

The arrow and UCGO are almost finished
aulas.gif
, it miss maybe some corrections in the doc and some small fix.

Now I wanted to give this ship (and Orbiter) 3D sound because it would be a major enhancement to VC cockpits.
So now I'm working on OrbiterSound 4.0 (3d), the problem is that I can't compile the Arrow with the old
OrbiterSound 3.5 SDK it would be idiot. So first I'll finish and release OrbiterSound 4.0, and then I'll compile all other
add-ons, (re-)start beta test (most have been tested already) and release them. This include DeltaGliderIV-3 (local light, 4MFD panel)
UCGO (brand news and stunning Arrow freighter) and UMmu (some fixes here and there)

OrbiterSound 4.0 come nicely and will be a major enhancement to Orbiter
aulas.gif
, the doc is finished & corrected and is
currently in private beta test on my forum (french part). I'll start a public beta test when I'll have solved the most critical bugs.

Sorry I don't want to give a date anymore
aulas.gif
but we might expect it's not too far as with 6 month of work all that is almost complete.
jfken.gif

I think Im going to get in trouble for holding up a legendary Tuesday, but I do have a request that I hope can be included with the upcoming release. Could there be a simple explanation pdf included with the package just explaining UMMU & its use? Back when I was a wee Orbinaut, I didnt even know what UMMU & UCGO were & only discovered them by accident after my first lunar landing (just had to take that giant step ya know :lol:). I think a lot of new orbinauts might be confused as to what UMMU/UCGO is, why wont it work on any vessel I want..., stuff that could easily be explained in a small end-user doc

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Well, there is the download page presentation, inner help and presentation
scenarios. If a user missed that I'm not sure that it will read one more doc. ?

The idea is good and would be helpful for those that have the reflex to look in
"doc" folder but that would be one more doc for me while my addon folder have
26 html pages, 10 PDF, and 134 txt file to keep up to date.
midnaite.gif

(This said if one want to do a nice presentation doc I would be glad to include it
gaga%20wink.gif
)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What do you mean with "presentation doc"? Are you talking about a brief description of the vehicle? Or rather about a nicely formatted vehicle pilot manual?

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think rather more of a 'flyer' of sorts, touting the capabilities and features of UMMU/UCGO is what BJJL is looking for. I personally think those can and should (and sounds like they already are/will) be summed up in a paragraph or two on the download page rather than in a separate doc...

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think rather more of a 'flyer' of sorts, touting the capabilities and features of UMMU/UCGO is what BJJL is looking for. I personally think those can and should (and sounds like they already are/will) be summed up in a paragraph or two on the download page rather than in a separate doc...

Yes. One of the issues our community is struggling with, and hopefully can be addressed with the Orbiterwiki rehaul, is explaining different addons to newcomers. For those of us who have been around for a while, we tend to forget that the terms NASSP, UMMU, UCGO, UCD, CTD, etc. dont mean anything to a new orbinaut. My first orbiter installation was comically glitchy, mostly because I had no real way to sort useful, stable, quality addons from outdated/unstable packages etc. The reccomended addons list on the forums is good, but what we really could use is separating OHM into the quality/stable/up-to-date (ie screen out old addons that no longer work in 100830) for a non-registered user, the rest of the stuff for registered users.

But anyways, a doc explaining UMMU would be nice, just as a supplement to reading the screens on the UMMU hud.

Overlocker

Reaction score
Looking forward to the release; and one question, why the arrow freighter got aerodinamic surfaces like wings, if its intended for her to not enter atmospheres?

And I want to know if the cargo bay RMS will be coded, so they wont be anymore eyecandy.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Looking forward to the release; and one question, why the arrow freighter got aerodinamic surfaces like wings, if its intended for her to not enter atmospheres?

This is explained in the doc (not corrected yet) here: (See presentation)
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/DeleteArrowAlphaDoc/Bin/ArrowHtmlDocumentation.html

It is intended to go in tiny moon atmosphere, not re-entry on big planets as Mars, Earth or Venus.

And I want to know if the cargo bay RMS will be coded, so they wont be anymore eyecandy.

I explained that in this thread already, shortly it would be amusing only for loading 2-3 cargo then you
would revert to "jump load", the code would be very complex and the result not so realistic
(jump at grapple/release, keyboard command only, limited harm range etc)

A lot of code and time for a useless "not-as-funny-as-you-tought" feature (nobody would do a full cargo load with such system)

Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
There is no mention on the other docks,beside the one in Arrows bay,but in the first draft of your manual you did show how to use them with the Hud,that would be great if you could please include that,also.Thanks BTW the Manual looks great.

Last edited:

romanasul

Reaction score
This ship is incredible, the new features that you've added must have taken a lot of work. I think I speak for everyone in the orbiter community when I say THANK YOU for all of your contributions to this beautiful game. May Orbinauts live long and prosper.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but would the gravity wheel solution work? I remember that they said on TV that a guy was paid by a spaceflight company/organization (probably NASA, but I can't remember right now) for sitting in bed. That was so they could sort of simulate microgravity conditions, as far as the muscles/bones were concerned. My guess would be that the Arrow's solution to the problem wouldn't do much, but hopefully someone who knows better can clarify things.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but would the gravity wheel solution work? I remember that they said on TV that a guy was paid by a spaceflight company/organization (probably NASA, but I can't remember right now) for sitting in bed. That was so they could sort of simulate microgravity conditions, as far as the muscles/bones were concerned. My guess would be that the Arrow's solution to the problem wouldn't do much, but hopefully someone who knows better can clarify things.

No, the gravity wheel would work exactly as ordered in a real Arrow freighter. It works by creating a centrifugal force on the occupants of it, pushing them outwards in the wheel the same way that swinging a bucket full of water in an arc keeps the water in even at the top of the arc. Ive never heard of this study, but maybe theres a link somewhere?

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Rtyh-12 as maybe a point here: staying always in horizontal position is not good even with some gravity.

I would reply that a 2/3 gravity in horizontal position is much better than no gravity 100% of time.
They are maybe tied to some exercises (but less than without the wheel) and some new drug.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
DEV NEWS

The new OrbiterSound 4.0 is near completion (release candidate)

Once OrbiterSound released the dev will resume on DeltaGliderIV-3, UMmu 2.5 and of course UCGO 2.5 with the new stunning Arrow Freighter.

All thoses addons are almost completed, it miss doc correction and beta test again with OrbiterSound and the latest updates.

Here are the latest dev add for thoses addons:

First UMmu 2.5 will have also local light, you can light on/off with "L" key: (Open image to see the UMmu in the dark)

DevNewsUmmu20121110143004.jpg

The UCGO ShuttleA's VC was updated also:
DevNewsUcgoShuttlea20121111032514.jpg

The VC's panel to control cargo & Ummu is now fully functional:

DevNewsUcgoShuttlea20121111032635.jpg

Of course the UCGO ShuttleA as all other addons use the new OrbiterSound 4.0 3D sound. All animations and VC's button have sounds.

And as all other it have also local light abilities, they light on progressively as the airlock open, the cargo area is lit as the front of the ship.
DevNewsUcgoShuttlea20121111033248.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.